• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hockey?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
What's so great about hockey? and why is this thread so big?

Other than it being superior to your existence, not so much.

j/p. :D For real though, I hear this a lot from people that never really sat down and checked out a game. I'll have a game going and someone will take a minute to watch and be surprised at how exciting it can be and they often say "I've never really watched hockey before."

Sport kicks ass.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
j/p. :D For real though, I hear this a lot from people that never really sat down and checked out a game. I'll have a game going and someone will take a minute to watch and be surprised at how exciting it can be and they often say "I've never really watched hockey before."

Sport kicks ass.

I've sat down and watched it before. It gets repetitive at times. There are random fights because people are always complaining. I do admire their skill and coordination, and would love to actually be doing it, but I don't get much stimulation out of watching it.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've sat down and watched it before. It gets repetitive at times. There are random fights because people are always complaining. I do admire their skill and coordination, and would love to actually be doing it, but I don't get much stimulation out of watching it.

Word. Some games are nail biters, some aren't. That's just kind of sports in general. It's a low scoring game so in that sense there's isn't as much excitement when compared to basketball or something. I wouldn't be able to watch all of my team's 90 games per season or whatever it is but I follow headlines and watch most of the playoffs.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The punch-ups, sriv. lol That's why we watch.

Also, it's not like any other televised sport. There's no ball. There's no sunburn. Heck, there's no teeth.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hockey's all about seeing it in person. Once you attend a game, you'll be hooked. And you'll also be able to follow it better on television. Hockey is probably the worst TV sport, but once you go to a game and start to understand the physics and flow of the game, it's easier to follow on TV.

Unfortunately, the game still has a goonish pro wrestling image among non-fans, and I don't really know how that can be overcome. Certainly 15 years of running a clean game haven't done the job. Recent statistics indicate that the average game includes 0.5 fights. That's not really a lot. Hockey is a game of skill, speed, grace and beauty. I hate that too many people think Slap Shot is a documentary.*

*Not to malign Slap Shot, which is hilarious :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Hockey's all about seeing it in person. Once you attend a game, you'll be hooked. And you'll also be able to follow it better on television. Hockey is probably the worst TV sport, but once you go to a game and start to understand the physics and flow of the game, it's easier to follow on TV.

Absolutely true. You must see a game in person. Totally different experience.

*Not to malign Slap Shot, which is hilarious

You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
I always thought the NHL needs Virgin nights where every other seat in the first 3 rows has to be a first time attendee, then the other seats are those people who can clearly explain the game to them. Speed of the game is the best thing that hockey has going for it but you can't put a camera too low or you'd have a nausea inducing trance video. But as you pull the camera up, either the puck gets lost or it appears to be batted between bluelines like a giant game of pong.

Hockey has some huge image problems. Not negative images so much as a lack of brand that can be expanded. Football and television grew together. Basketball has evolved and grown its brand. It can be argued that some sports can be played anywhere and thus continue to garner interest but yet NASCAR figured it out. Golf never knew how big it could be until a savior came. Sid the Kid may be hella good but I don't know if he or Alex the great (vis a vie the game) can come up with the transendental inspiration that Jordan, Magic, Bird, Tiger or even the Great One could. They (anyone w/a vested interest in the NHL) have to figure out how to get people to care about hockey, bottomline. A third jersey and larger playing surface ain't gonna do it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My favorite line in the movie :) It's a parable, a tale as old as time!

It is exactly how I explain a penalty to the uninitiated. Accent and all. Then I like to mention the allergy to those fucking fans, you know, has returned. :D

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Agreed. I can't get into it and I've tried earnestly. I'd rather watch GOLF than baseball. (Yikes. What's the matter with me?! I hate golf!)

Baseball is bad but Golf is coma inducing. Why do they even televise that? I assume they want people to watch and not zonk out for three hours on the couch.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Baseball is bad but Golf is coma inducing. Why do they even televise that? I assume they want people to watch and not zonk out for three hours on the couch.

I'll tell you exactly what it is - a Canadian conspiracy. If they can put us to sleep with their awful boring mind-numbing god-forsaken creation (called GOLF, meaning "Gathering Our Little Friends" i.e. harvesting) then they can stick us in clone vats for breeding purposes. It's pretty blatant actually. I mean, why else do golf pants exist, I ask you?!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'll tell you exactly what it is - a Canadian conspiracy. If they can put us to sleep with their awful boring mind-numbing god-forsaken creation (called GOLF, meaning "Gathering Our Little Friends" i.e. harvesting) then they can stick us in clone vats for breeding purposes. It's pretty blatant actually. I mean, why else do golf pants exist, I ask you?!

If I saw myself in clothes like those...I'd kick my own ass. Actually it's a Scottish creation but either way...boring boring to watch and way too frustrating to play.

You know what's strange? I like curling. I love to watch it (always being able to watch CBC helps). It's incredibly relaxing but not numbingly boring at all. But I think it started as a drinking game. Someone had a broom laying around...ice...a rock...one thing led to another.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Curling looks like fun! :D The game is ridiculous, and if you lose, you can beat your enemy team with the brooms. Way more possibilities than Ringette.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Curling looks like fun! :D The game is ridiculous, and if you lose, you can beat your enemy team with the brooms. Way more possibilities than Ringette.

Plus you get to make all kinds of retarded sounds while you sweep and push the rock and it's all good. Just part of the game. :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
Baseball.

:/

What I meant was that hockey is the worst sport in terms of how TV translates the game for home viewing. Telecasts of hockey actually make it difficult to follow the game for the uninitiated. I think baseball translates fine to TV...it's not hard to follow the action or anything. I think maybe you just don't like baseball very much.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
What I meant was that hockey is the worst sport in terms of how TV translates the game for home viewing. Telecasts of hockey actually make it difficult to follow the game for the uninitiated. I think baseball translates fine to TV...it's not hard to follow the action or anything. I think maybe you just don't like baseball very much.

Ahh, I see what you're saying.

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy baseball. It's just hard to watch 9 innings on TV. Going to a professional ball game on the other hand is one of my favorite outings.

Go A's.