• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hockey?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I actually don't mind the shootout too much, at least in the regular season. It's undeniably exciting. And the only reason it was adopted in the first place is that nobody was trying to win in overtime in the old format. Everyone went into a shell for 5 minutes to preserve their 1 point from the tie. With 3-point games, at least people are trying to win in overtime.

Maybe the best solution is no overtime and a shootout that awards only two points to the winner. Or, alternatively a full OT period awarding only two points. You can't go into a shell for an entire period.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I actually don't mind the shootout too much, at least in the regular season. It's undeniably exciting. And the only reason it was adopted in the first place is that nobody was trying to win in overtime in the old format. Everyone went into a shell for 5 minutes to preserve their 1 point from the tie. With 3-point games, at least people are trying to win in overtime.

Maybe the best solution is no overtime and a shootout that awards only two points to the winner. Or, alternatively a full OT period awarding only two points. You can't go into a shell for an entire period.

I have no problem with a 2-point OT as opposed to 3-point OT. The owners and players would never make it 20 minutes, so I think 10 minutes is a good compromise. 2 points for a win, 0 for a loss, but bring back the tie after a 10-minute OT. It may make for a couple of snoozefests earlier in the season, but teams will want the extra point bad enough once the playoffs are approaching. I am not a hidebound purist, but I don't like the idea of things being settles with non-hockey. It bothers me in soccer, as well.

narticus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Opinions on the 3 pt/gm proposal I've seena few times?

3 pts for a regulation win
0 pts for a regulation loss

2 pts for an OT win
1 pt for an OT loss

At least it makes all games equal in terms of points as well as giving incentive to try to win in regulation.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
:nice: to the use of "Crosby-esque" as an adjective! If he ever decides to give up hockey, he could probably win an Olympic medal in diving.
I'm not "for" it, but I think he's gotta do it. It's kinda like superstars in NBA games, they jump into guys whenever they go in hard to the paint and try to draw the foul and 3 pt play. I'm sure coaches tell them to try to draw the penalty. Scotty Bowman would have his players wear their helmets loosely so they'd fly off to embelish any sort of high sticking or potential elbowing penalty. For a while you'd see the tripping/diving penalties being called but not so much of late.

For the last few years Detroit has played the regular season like it was the playoffs and the playoffs like it was the regular season. They're not going to lose this series, but they're already underachieving. Their next opponent (Calgary? Colorado?) is going to have a little something waiting.

I've never seen anything like Ottawa this season. After making the finals last year and starting this year 13-1, they slumped terribly, barely made it into the playoffs, and then got swept in the first round. Except for last year, the team has never carried their regular season dominance into the playoffs. It would have sounded insane as recently as four months ago, but is it time to blow it up in Ottawa?
I thought the wings upgraded their D this past season but I still didn't see them winning as many games as they did. Playing in their division helped for sure. Offensively, I didn't think they were so deep. A second round series that would be low scoring would favor Calgary. Colorado would have to score some goals but they tend to abuse Osgood. I wouldn't have wanted to head into the postseason w/the Dominator as my #1. I think he's done now. They gotta hope Oggie can carry them.

I think that's kinda the deal w/Ottawa. I think they needed to ride out some storms over the season and not flip flop in net. Emery didn't start off the season well. I think it divided the dressing room w/the flips because the team dynamic would be so different depending on who was in net. It's important to have a solid backup, but I think it's a waste to have two #1's. Not that I'm so in love with Gurber (is that the other goalie???) but if he's the hot guy, stick w/him and send Emery away for another D since they just lost whatshisface to Boston or add another weapon on wing.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Frankly, after sitting through the exciting but HUGELY marathon-lengthed Canes vs. Wings match-up in 2002, I'm a big fan of the shoot-out. When you're laboring through the third OT, you feel your eyes rolling back in your head.

Detroit will reign supreme tomorrow. You have all been advised. :D

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
Opinions on the 3 pt/gm proposal I've seena few times?
I don't think it'd kill things. It does make sense to have all games have the same potential amount of points. So far though I don't believe the sort of phantom points have pushed one team into the playoffs over another that had quite a few more wins. I believe wins is the first tie breaker is it not? Maybe second to head to head. Personally, I like the shootout. I think 4x4 in OT for 5 works well too.

So I have to admit I'm surprised that Boston came back to make it a series against the Habs. I think if they'd split the initial first two games I would've been more apt to believe it'd go 7 games but not them take two on the brink of elimination.

Colorado really had an impressive game this evening. They'd out play Minn for much of the series, at least for the first 2 periods of each game and then give up a couple of goals in the 3rd. I kinda wondered about age and speed. Tonight, even when Minn was down a goal w/the season on the verge, the Avs were able to maintain pressure and beat the wild to the puck.

I'd like to see a Rangers-Montreal or Rangers-Pens series. I think I'll be more intrigued by second round matches in the west as well.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Frankly, after sitting through the exciting but HUGELY marathon-lengthed Canes vs. Wings match-up in 2002, I'm a big fan of the shoot-out. When you're laboring through the third OT, you feel your eyes rolling back in your head.

I don't mind the shootout in the regular season, but I love the long overtimes in the playoffs. I remember the 5-OT Flyers/Penguins game in 2000, and it was one of the most exciting things I've ever seen. It was absolutely riveting.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't mind the shootout in the regular season, but I love the long overtimes in the playoffs. I remember the 5-OT Flyers/Penguins game in 2000, and it was one of the most exciting things I've ever seen. It was absolutely riveting.

Holy crap, 5 OT's?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yep, it started at 7:00 Eastern time and I think it ended after 1 in the morning. It was about two and a half whole games, the third longest game in NHL history. At that point, if you're the loser it just CRUSHES you. The Pens were winning the series 2-1 coming into this game and the Flyers won three straight to win it 4-2.

YouTube - Keith Primeau 5th Overtime Goal

MBTI Type
INTJ
Anybody get the license plate number from that truck? I was walking along happily and then all I saw was a blur of red and blue and then everything went black.

I am not liking our chances in Game 7.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
I hear Betman's trying to get the Pope to spinkle holy water holy water in front of the Caps home goal in hopes of a Pens-Caps series.

Four game sevens in the first round. Too bad nobody's seeing any of it.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Great. A game decided by the refs. That was bullshit.

Can't wait to see the Flyers destroyed in the next round.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm going in and out of anger/depression. My actions are unpredictable.

:emot-emo:

The crowd was throwing shit at the Flyers on the way out. I hope that other people in the league start to realize that fans everywhere get stupid in some situations. We Philadelphians have such a bad reputation, but it's everywhere. European and South American soccer fans are way more loutish. Great series, though. Huet got hung out to dry on a number of occasions. The Caps need another top-4 defenseman badly, and some secondary scoring wouldn't hurt. Bring on the Habs!

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
The difference is that the fans in Philadephia (generalizing, I know) show general disrespect for everyone. My guess is that Caps fans were more pissed at the refs than the Flyers team. Usually Caps fans sit on their asses and barely make any noise.

It was a good series, and both teams played well. However, I still can't get over the non-call. It decided the game, and that should never happen.