• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jason Voorhees/friday the 13th Appreciation thread

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is Jason a human or a zombie? Neither. I think he's a revenant or a lower tier hell demon (Freddy would be a mid tier demon/revenant. Chucky and Myers are likely also lower tier demons. Pinhead is a higher tier demon).

Some have said the sequels make no good explanation for how Jason drowned as a child but resurrected as a full grown human (how he's portrayed in the early sequels). I believe someone, possibly his mother, was involved in dark arts and attempted to resurrect him after drowning. However, his form was weak and he couldn't leave the lake initially. Unable to get her son back, Pamela was driven by rage and took her revenge on anyone who attempted to re-open camp Crystal Lake. When Alice finally killed Pamela in the first film, Jason was still not at full strength and could only observe from the lake. However, he is fed by rage. It was this rage at seeing her killed that finally allowed him to break from the lake--irony it took her own death to fully bring him out of the lake.

At this point he began the killing spree seen in parts 2-4. Jason is often described by fans as a human in these films, but he's more than human. Think a revenant with wolverine-like regeneration abilities. Most damage only temporarily stops him. I don't even think he is yet fully aware of his powers, as he still shows fear and pain in parts 2-4 when certain people fight him.

In part 5, Jason simply appears to tommy Jarvis in hallucinations. However, I believe that Jason was actually reaching out and "haunting" Tommy. He wasn't strong enough to leave his grave, but he could still reach out and psychologically torment Tommy in visions. This is why Tommy stops having the visions in part 6, because Jason is once again "alive" and doing his physical form thing. It's also possible that Jason's spirit was somewhat possessing or guiding the copycat killer roy burns in part 5.

It is the massive beating he takes in 4 that finally leaves him "dead" until a lightning bolt resurrects his dormant body in part 6. It's here where people begin to describe him as a zombie, but he's not quite like the those portrayed in most zombie movies. He still seems to have some reasoning power and isn't driven by a mindless killing urge. I think that every time he is temporarily stopped, it takes a little more time or impetus to "resurrect", but in turn, this makes him harder to stop each time he comes back.

So Jason is neither a human or a zombie. He is a superhuman with certain similarities to zombies, but ultimately his own category. I've also seen people speculate he is a deadite (Evil Dead universe), but I don't think so. While the same dark magic that allows deadites may have led to Jason's resurrection as a regenerative revenant, I think he's more of a free agent than deadites, who seem to all be driven and controlled by a similar interest. Jason's only purpose is to protect his sacred lands around crystal lake and enact revenge on anyone who crosses into his territory.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like how the Friday the 13th Game allows players to choose multiple Jasons, and each has strengths and weaknesses in line with their portrayeal in their respective films. For instance part 7 and 8 jason have crazy fast water speed, whereas part 2 Jason is good with traps, and part 4 jason is just fucking brutal and has stronger weapon strength. Part 6 Jason has better sense ability, in line with his tendency to stalk and take his time more in that film, sort of scouting things out before coming in to kill everyone.

Initially I preferred playing as the running jasons, but once you learn to fully use all of his abilities and tailor your playing style to the strenghts, the walking jasons, especially part 6 and 9 are a ton of fun to play as. Very rarely do any counselors escape when I play as part 6 jason.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jason X was a terrible film, but I do like that it mentions Jason's regenerative abilities. We see that in Jason Goes to Hell, he has somehow regenerated and his face is literally growing around what remains of his hockey mask, even though we'd seen him melted by toxic waste in the previous movie. Then his skin is almost back to a human color by Jason X, after having been a sort of grey zombified color in previous installments. Out of universe reason is that production designers just didn't pay that much attention to his visual continuity, but the in-universe explanation is that, while undead, Jason's body still seems to live and regenerate in some twisted sense. Even moreso when you notice that Kane Hodder would always portray the "zombie" Jason as breathing.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Is Jason a human or a zombie? Neither. I think he's a revenant or a lower tier hell demon (Freddy would be a mid tier demon/revenant. Chucky and Myers are likely also lower tier demons. Pinhead is a higher tier demon).

Some have said the sequels make no good explanation for how Jason drowned as a child but resurrected as a full grown human (how he's portrayed in the early sequels). I believe someone, possibly his mother, was involved in dark arts and attempted to resurrect him after drowning. However, his form was weak and he couldn't leave the lake initially. Unable to get her son back, Pamela was driven by rage and took her revenge on anyone who attempted to re-open camp Crystal Lake. When Alice finally killed Pamela in the first film, Jason was still not at full strength and could only observe from the lake. However, he is fed by rage. It was this rage at seeing her killed that finally allowed him to break from the lake--irony it took her own death to fully bring him out of the lake.

At this point he began the killing spree seen in parts 2-4. Jason is often described by fans as a human in these films, but he's more than human. Think a revenant with wolverine-like regeneration abilities. Most damage only temporarily stops him. I don't even think he is yet fully aware of his powers, as he still shows fear and pain in parts 2-4 when certain people fight him.

In part 5, Jason simply appears to tommy Jarvis in hallucinations. However, I believe that Jason was actually reaching out and "haunting" Tommy. He wasn't strong enough to leave his grave, but he could still reach out and psychologically torment Tommy in visions. This is why Tommy stops having the visions in part 6, because Jason is once again "alive" and doing his physical form thing. It's also possible that Jason's spirit was somewhat possessing or guiding the copycat killer roy burns in part 5.

It is the massive beating he takes in 4 that finally leaves him "dead" until a lightning bolt resurrects his dormant body in part 6. It's here where people begin to describe him as a zombie, but he's not quite like the those portrayed in most zombie movies. He still seems to have some reasoning power and isn't driven by a mindless killing urge. I think that every time he is temporarily stopped, it takes a little more time or impetus to "resurrect", but in turn, this makes him harder to stop each time he comes back.

So Jason is neither a human or a zombie. He is a superhuman with certain similarities to zombies, but ultimately his own category. I've also seen people speculate he is a deadite (Evil Dead universe), but I don't think so. While the same dark magic that allows deadites may have led to Jason's resurrection as a regenerative revenant, I think he's more of a free agent than deadites, who seem to all be driven and controlled by a similar interest. Jason's only purpose is to protect his sacred lands around crystal lake and enact revenge on anyone who crosses into his territory.

He's a Slasher. It's it's own kind of monster category. He joins the ranks of Bloody Mary, Candyman, The Hook, Part golem part fae part ghost part man:shrug: they are chirmeric by nature.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's a Slasher. It's it's own kind of monster category. He joins the ranks of Bloody Mary, Candyman, The Hook, Part golem part fae part ghost part man:shrug: they are chirmeric by nature.

James Rolfe (angry video game nerd) said he always thought of Voorhees as a monster of the lake. I like that description. In that sense, he's sort of a more modern retelling of the creature from the black lagoon. Incidentally, Ted White, who portrayed him in part 4, was also one of the stuntmen behind the creature of the lagoon back in the 50s.

But I agree, he is definitely a category of monster, rather than a human. I refer to him as a superhuman, but I think his abilities come from some supernatural source. So that makes him more than human. But also less than human in some sense.

I still like the category of revenant though. If you read about old myths about revenants, Voorhees perfectly fits the bill of how they were usually described. He's undead, but not like a zombie or vampire is. He doesn't live to feed on the living, but rather to haunt and extinguish them. He is pure rage personified, IMO.

If they ever reboot the series, I hope they focus more on the supernatural angle to the Voorhees myth. Perhaps Crystal Lake itself is just a cursed land.

The Cat

Staff member
James Rolfe (angry video game nerd) said he always thought of Voorhees as a monster of the lake. I like that description. In that sense, he's sort of a more modern retelling of the creature from the black lagoon. Incidentally, Ted White, who portrayed him in part 4, was also one of the stuntmen behind the creature of the lagoon back in the 50s.

But I agree, he is definitely a category of monster, rather than a human. I refer to him as a superhuman, but I think his abilities come from some supernatural source. So that makes him more than human. But also less than human in some sense.

I still like the category of revenant though. If you read about old myths about revenants, Voorhees perfectly fits the bill of how they were usually described. He's undead, but not like a zombie or vampire is. He doesn't live to feed on the living, but rather to extinguish them. He is pure rage personified, IMO.

If they ever reboot the series, I hope they focus more on the supernatural angle to the Voorhees myth. Perhaps Crystal Lake itself is just a cursed land.

The Cat

Staff member

I still like the category of revenant though. If you read about old myths about revenants, Voorhees perfectly fits the bill of how they were usually described. He's undead, but not like a zombie or vampire is. He doesn't live to feed on the living, but rather to haunt and extinguish them. He is pure rage personified, IMO.

It would aslo be cool to see a flashback of the ancient ritual that tainted the land, perhaps there is always a monter in the lake, and jason is merely the lastest visage, once it rots away enough, another ritual will need to take place...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my head canon, all of the famous movie slashers occupy the same universe. That's why I compared him to freddy and pinhead, who are both higher demons than jason. Jason is just a footsoldier of hell set loose on earth. Whereas pinhead and freddy are more like fieldmarshalls or something. Myers I think is comparable to Voorhees, though he's never really referred to or shown to be undead and still seems to inhabit a living human body.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would aslo be cool to see a flashback of the ancient ritual that tainted the land, perhaps there is always a monter in the lake, and jason is merely the lastest visage, once it rots away enough, another ritual will need to take place...

I'd like to think it had something to do with Europeans and natives back in the day. Perhaps there was a massacre committed by European settlers and so some shaman put a curse on the land that any future inhabitants might never be able to occupy it in peace.

OR maybe it was some European satanic exile who left Europe to practice dark magic in the new world.

The Cat

Staff member
I'd like to think it had something to do with Europeans and natives back in the day. Perhaps there was a massacre committed by European settlers and so some shaman put a curse on the land that any future inhabitants might never be able to occupy it in peace.

I like that especially considering that these kinds of folk tales are based around morality trespasses.

It could even be the kind of thing where the creature in the lake can also be bound to anothers will, which would pay homage to the Mrs Voorhees kind of character. A Suitibly wicked puppet master who figures out a ritual to bind the creature in the lake to their will. Like Imagine a Kristen Chenowith type crazy church lady, or a passive aggressive HOA chairperson who discovers a way to enforce their morality on an unsuspecting town...:shrug:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After playing the game a lot recently, in which you hear Mrs Voorhees' voice speak to Jason, often followed by a wicked laugh, another scenario occurred to me. Maybe after Pamela died, some demonic creature resurrected Jason and took her persona in order to get him to kill. Jason, not being the brightest tool in the shed, totally believes his real mom is willing him to kill for her, when in reality it's some sinister demon willing it. I find that to be a particularly tragic scenario. This is not a scenario the game suggests is canon, just something I thought of while seeing the cutscenes of Jason at the altar to his dead mother.

That said, it would tie in with moments in the films when people trick him, for instance Ginny pretends to be Pamela in part 2 and "hypnotizes" him. And in F v J, Freddy takes the form of his mother to trick him into going to kill some teenagers on Elm Street. Incidentally, Tommy is also able to disguise himself as a younger Jason in part 4, which momentarily dazes Jason.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

You know, you could count Jason as a zombie, but only if you go back before Night of the Living Dead and look at the more traditional zombies. Those sort are usually reanimated by magic, aren't necessarily rotten and may even go through the motions of breathing and the like. On top of that, the tend to rather single minded in pursuit of whatever goal they've been given - this case kill anyone who defiles the lake site.

That fits pretty well with the first movie, from what I hear (amazingly, for a horror fan, I've never seen it). As is usually the case with long running movie franchises, he evolves and changes over and it might not fit so well with the later films.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know, you could count Jason as a zombie, but only if you go back before Night of the Living Dead and look at the more traditional zombies. Those sort are usually reanimated by magic, aren't necessarily rotten and may even go through the motions of breathing and the like. On top of that, the tend to rather single minded in pursuit of whatever goal they've been given - this case kill anyone who defiles the lake site.

That fits pretty well with the first movie, from what I hear (amazingly, for a horror fan, I've never seen it). As is usually the case with long running movie franchises, he evolves and changes over and it might not fit so well with the later films.

A voodoo zombie? Yes, I think he’s similar.

Regarding the original film, I don’t even think it is the best in the series. I think part 4 perfected the formula and mood of the first 3 movies, and everything was downhill from 5 on

The Cat

Staff member
Friday the thirteenth XXXI Jason gets pinkberry

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah. did they ever even try to explain how he came back? Did he not actually drown as a kid, or what?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah. did they ever even try to explain how he came back? Did he not actually drown as a kid, or what?

Nah, he drowned. It's just never really explained very well how he came back as a fully grown adult.

We just have to go by what we know based on the existing movies. If you look at everything in the films from Part 2 through FvJ and ignore the remake (since it actually establishes him as a living adult male rather than some supernatural undead), then it's pretty clear he had to have been revived as a revenant with the help of supernatural forces. His body exists in some undead state that was able to grow into the adult human form he takes.

- - - Updated - - -

Violet was hot