• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

the Mandalorian

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I watched Episode 1 last night.

Jon Favreau, he's got experience and can tell an even-keeled story. IOW, a professional. Besides being exec producer and creator, it looks like he wrote most of the first season scripts as well. While Favreau doesn't necessarily go super-deep in his past work, he tells pleasant, somewhat interesting stories with a decent amount of emotional gravitas. I don't expect a lot off the beaten path or emotional intensity though, it all usually goes down easy.

This is how I felt about episode 1. What's funny is that he's got the brand down pat. The first episode immediately feels more like original Star Wars trilogy than anything Abrams has done even while cribbing two of the three films and trying to make ROS feel like original Star Wars. Frankly, the trilogy would have been better if Favreau had done them in the sense as least there would have been a consistent narrative and been on-brand. It wouldn't have been anything to write home about, but it would have been what Disney wanted, I think.

Anyway, yeah. The episode (while not thought-provoking) was coherent and easy-going and managed to portray the protagonist as mostly amoral, although he lives by the bounty hunter code when convenient. He's sketchy without being gritty. I found Cassian from Rogue One a bit grimier.

It was fun not know the cast list aside from Pedro Pascal ahead of time. I was greeted not only by

And yeah, the ending was what I expected, you'd have to live under a rock to not know about Baby freaking you-know-who. I wonder if this will become future seasons -- Baby Jabba, Baby Jar-Jar, Baby Greedo. Gotta collect 'em all. But it could end up being intriguing. (Note: He's not the literal character of course.)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great cast. Nick Nolte is in it too.

This and Rogue One are about the only new SW stories I enjoy. Well, Fallen Order too, if you count games. I'm also excited to see the period after return of the Jedi explored. Aside from a lot of EU stuff which has since been considered non-canon, we really haven't see much of this era and I've always wanted to know what the galaxy would look like. I don't think I'm being too spoiler-y but just in case

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great cast. Nick Nolte is in it too.

This and Rogue One are about the only new SW stories I enjoy. Well, Fallen Order too, if you count games. I'm also excited to see the period after return of the Jedi explored. Aside from a lot of EU stuff which has since been considered non-canon, we really haven't see much of this era and I've always wanted to know what the galaxy would look like. I don't think I'm being too spoiler-y but just in case

Yeah, kind of curious how they got from there to here.

Since Nolte and Waititi only had speaking parts, I didn't recognize them until after I looked at the IMDB. I actually deal with Ugnaughts in SWTOR (just met an NPC one again last night), and the show one looked a little different.

Might as well mention I saw this today:
New “Star Wars” Movie Based On “Knights Of The Old Republic” Game In The Works
https://hnentertainment.co/lucasfil...epublic-movie-the-december-2022-release-date/

Apparently I am months behind but yeah. I mean, I knew of the other "trilogies" but I don't know if I had read an actual article about them. And they might just move back to singular movies now.

Then again, Kalogridis has a dubious record.
Shutter Island was passable and easily the best.
The screenplay for Alita: Battle Angel was godawful, the bad dialogue really makes the film hard to watch.
I'm one of a few who enjoyed Terminator Genisys as a complete one-off, but I can't say the screenplay was a highlight -- it was functional.
And Alexander?

I see she created Altered Carbon too, a show I watched about ten minutes of before quitting mostly because I don't really like Kinnamon much as an actor. (He was okay in House of Cards.)

sigh.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, kind of curious how they got from there to here.

Since Nolte and Waititi only had speaking parts, I didn't recognize them until after I looked at the IMDB. I actually deal with Ugnaughts in SWTOR (just met an NPC one again last night), and the show one looked a little different.

Might as well mention I saw this today:
New “Star Wars” Movie Based On “Knights Of The Old Republic” Game In The Works
https://hnentertainment.co/lucasfil...epublic-movie-the-december-2022-release-date/

Apparently I am months behind but yeah. I mean, I knew of the other "trilogies" but I don't know if I had read an actual article about them. And they might just move back to singular movies now.

Then again, Kalogridis has a dubious record.
Shutter Island was passable and easily the best.
The screenplay for Alita: Battle Angel was godawful, the bad dialogue really makes the film hard to watch.
I'm one of a few who enjoyed Terminator Genisys as a complete one-off, but I can't say the screenplay was a highlight -- it was functional.
And Alexander?

I see she created Altered Carbon too, a show I watched about ten minutes of before quitting mostly because I don't really like Kinnamon much as an actor. (He was okay in House of Cards.)

sigh.

I liked Altered Carbon. Though I also liked Kinammon in it, and I'm not sure if I'll like it as much without him in Season 2.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Normally I'm against prequels or going backwards, but I think it is good with star wars, because there's so many unexplored or undeveloped periods between the eras we've seen focused on. I am also happy we might finally learn a little more about Yoda's race.

Also, the Mandalorian's gun is a nice nod to the weapon Boba Fett is holding in the animated segment of the holiday special. Even if that film is garbage, I like that certain elements have still been referenced and canonized over the years. It reminds me of how the Enterprise writers made certain elements of ST: TAS canon, for instance they reference locations mentioned in the episode "Yesteryear" (if no other episodes of TAS are considered canon, I feel that one is integral to trek lore and deserves special canon status).

Kind of unrelated, but are the old Droids and Ewoks films and cartoons still considered canon?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are they still doing a Kenobi movie or was that always just a rumor? I think Ewan McGregor's performance is one of the few good things about the prequels (his dialogue with Anakin "you were the chosen one!" is one of the few emotionally resonating moments in the prequels, IMO) and I've always wanted to see him come back, perhaps showing what he was up to between a new hope and revenge of the sith. I know he was watching over Luke, but I doubt he spent all of those 19 years just hanging out in his hut and spying on the Lars homestead. But then again, maybe he did sort of semi-retire until needed, like Luke did between Ben's fall and the events in TLJ. I think the whole business with Anakin and Padme must have really messed him up and shaken his faith.

One of the things I enjoyed about Rogue One was that even though Vader is basically a bit player, we learn a lot about who he's become since revenge of the sith. He literally chose to have his private residence in the place where his wife died and his best friend amputated his limbs. that says a lot about what's going on in vader's head prior to learning his children had survived. Kenobi deserves similar exploration.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like the way Mandalorians have poetic names for highly technological equivalent.

Are they still doing a Kenobi movie or was that always just a rumor? I think Ewan McGregor's performance is one of the few good things about the prequels (his dialogue with Anakin "you were the chosen one!" is one of the few emotionally resonating moments in the prequels, IMO) and I've always wanted to see him come back, perhaps showing what he was up to between a new hope and revenge of the sith. I know he was watching over Luke, but I doubt he spent all of those 19 years just hanging out in his hut and spying on the Lars homestead. But then again, maybe he did sort of semi-retire until needed, like Luke did between Ben's fall and the events in TLJ. I think the whole business with Anakin and Padme must have really messed him up and shaken his faith.

It's now going to be a Disney+ series, but yes, McGregor is up for it. Neeson is also rumored to be involved.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
*Comes in to feed off your libatious fan glamour.* The passion, the hope, the fear, the slight undercurrent of cynicism of waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's like drinking the feeling of a really good roller coaster.:wubbie:

I hope this series lasts for more than three seasons @_@

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the way Mandalorians have poetic names for highly technological equivalent.

It's now going to be a Disney+ series, but yes, McGregor is up for it. Neeson is also rumored to be involved.

That's cool. I'm glad they're not totally ignoring the prequels. there were still a lot of cool additions to the lore in those films that deserve to be expanded upon. Hell, I never even minded midichlorians that much, even if they did sort of demystify the nature of the force.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, Disney plus is sweet, and I hope they decide to do a new show set in the Tron universe. It won't happen, but one can dream, and that streaming service would be the perfect platform with which to revitalize and generate new interest in Tron--maybe daft punk or some synthwave groups could be brought on to do the music. I need more quorra too. I didn't even mind Sam either. Not sure why he got so much disdain. He's no Jeff Bridges, but then nobody is Jeff Bridges.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like how each Mandalorian has distinctive armor.

So was Jango ever part of their secret society or was he just a rogue bounty hunter who had acquired the armor and gadgets? And was Boba's armor just Jango's repainted, or did he get his own at some point? It seems like some of the fetts' actions might go against the Mandalorian code.

They are very Klingon like, at least as portrayed in the new series. Like if Klingons had the gadgets of the Predators.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

So was Jango ever part of their secret society or was he just a rogue bounty hunter who had acquired the armor and gadgets? And was Boba's armor just Jango's repainted, or did he get his own at some point? It seems like some of the fetts' actions might go against the Mandalorian code.

They are very Klingon like, at least as portrayed in the new series. Like if Klingons had the gadgets of the Predators.

I like to think of the Jango as a foundling that later abandoned aspects of the Mandalorian culture, which would account for them not being seen as Mandalorians. But that's just headcanon. It's just too weird to me to to make the "original" Mandalorians not actually Mandalorians.

The Cat

Staff member

Boba Fett was originally Journeyman Protector Jasper Mareel IIRC This new clone thing always felt so shoehorned too me, like the most unoriginal idea for the clone wars as possible especailly after what was teased to us in the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zhan. But I always had the sense George Lucas hated the Expanded Universe, so Im not really surprised that he's spent the better part of the last 30 years trying to retcon his own franchise right up to selling his soul at the Mickey Crossroads.

But I think the best representation of Mandelorians was done in KOTOR Canderous Ordo, Mandalore. Cool times.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's cool. I'm glad they're not totally ignoring the prequels. there were still a lot of cool additions to the lore in those films that deserve to be expanded upon. Hell, I never even minded midichlorians that much, even if they did sort of demystify the nature of the force.

I agree with this.

Something I find irritating about the new trilogy is that they completely ignore Coruscant, which I suspect is just because it's a prequel planet. Even with that stupid rotating capital thing that the canon New Republic evidently had, I feel like it was important enough to the series overall that some kind of mention was needed at some point.

Rogue One, interestingly, did show us Coruscant, but J.J. didn't want to go there.

I mean it's more important to the series overall than Bespin, for crying out loud.

The Cat

Staff member
I agree with this.

Something I find irritating about the new trilogy is that they completely ignore Coruscant, which I suspect is just because it's a prequel planet. Even with that stupid rotating capital thing that the canon New Republic evidently had, I feel like it was important enough to the series overall that some kind of mention was needed at some point.

Rogue One, interestingly, did show us Coruscant, but J.J. didn't want to go there.

I mean it's more important to the series overall than Bespin, for crying out loud.

or "desertplanetthatsnottattoiine."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished the second episode. Damn jawas, they're so freaking annoying... funny, but dear god... enough to make anyone go postal.

I thought it was really hilarious when the ugnaught thanked him for 'bringing peace to the valley.' Yeah, a mandalorian brings peace the same way an unnamed gunslinger does -- by killing everyone else who was there. ROFL. I guess the best diplomacy involves carrying a big stick. I also laughed when the Child found himself some lunch.

So I'm wondering now if Yoda's race is naturally force sensitive or what/who exactly the Child is.

---

Not sure why people hate on Sam in Tron Legacy either, he was fine. I was fine with the three leads of the film. I just thought the plot was pretty empty as well as the world. Tron is another world that deserves a GOOD show/film, it's great ideas that have never been well-implemented except as bits of eye candy, most blatantly the light cycles and the disc combat.

I did like when he goes into the arcade in Legacy and turns everything on, then discovers the secret door and you can still hear Journey playing (muffled) as he heads on down.

or "desertplanetthatsnottattoiine."

:rofl1:

... Hell, I never even minded midichlorians that much, even if they did sort of demystify the nature of the force.

tenor.gif

The Cat

Staff member
Just finished the second episode. Damn jawas, they're so freaking annoying... funny, but dear god... enough to make anyone go postal.

I thought it was really hilarious when the ugnaught thanked him for 'bringing peace to the valley.' Yeah, a mandalorian brings peace the same way an unnamed gunslinger does -- by killing everyone else who was there. ROFL. I guess the best diplomacy involves carrying a big stick. I also laughed when the Child found himself some lunch.

So I'm wondering now if Yoda's race is naturally force sensitive or what/who exactly the Child is.

---

Not sure why people hate on Sam in Tron Legacy either, he was fine. I was fine with the three leads of the film. I just thought the plot was pretty empty as well as the world. Tron is another world that deserves a GOOD show/film, it's great ideas that have never been well-implemented except as bits of eye candy, most blatantly the light cycles and the disc combat.

I did like when he goes into the arcade in Legacy and turns everything on, then discovers the secret door and you can still hear Journey playing (muffled) as he heads on down.

:rofl1:

Can you imagine how cool a tron streaming show would be? I bet even Bridges and Boxlightner would do the occasional cameos they're by all accounts pretty cool dudes.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Boba Fett was originally Journeyman Protector Jasper Mareel IIRC This new clone thing always felt so shoehorned too me, like the most unoriginal idea for the clone wars as possible especailly after what was teased to us in the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zhan. But I always had the sense George Lucas hated the Expanded Universe, so Im not really surprised that he's spent the better part of the last 30 years trying to retcon his own franchise right up to selling his soul at the Mickey Crossroads.

But I think the best representation of Mandelorians was done in KOTOR Canderous Ordo, Mandalore. Cool times.

Lucas tended to pick and choose which elements of EU to use and which to reject. Like Coruscant was actually Timothy Zahn's creation IIRC, but Lucas really liked the name so decided to stick with it for the prequels. IIRC one of the jedi (Aayla Secura?) featured in episode 2 was originally from some EU thing, but Lucas really liked them and gave them a cameo in the movies. She's cool to play as in the old school Battlefront II (2005).

So Lucas certainly was aware of EU, even if he probably wasn't reading all of the books and comics or playing the games and such. I do wish he'd coordinated a bit better with EU creators and not just decided to reject or overwrite the elements he disliked, as a lot of fans held that stuff in high regard. Disney is making similar mistakes and I feel they should've found a way to work around the existing EU rather than dismissing it with the wave of a mouse tail.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with this.

Coruscant is a great setting. I mean it's full of possibilities for action set pieces. I thought even the prequels underused it. One of the few additions to the special edition I like id showing the celebration on Coruscant at the end of Jedi, even if they did omit the original Yub Nub song.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can you imagine how cool a tron streaming show would be? I bet even Bridges and Boxlightner would do the occasional cameos they're by all accounts pretty cool dudes.

I like Boxleitner and wish he'd featured a bit more prominently in Legacy. I imagine he may have had an expanded role in the cancelled tron 3. And I had hoped maybe David Warner would return at some point. And also, Cillian Murphy's role was just begging to be expanded in a follow-up film. I think a lot of the things in Legacy that felt like loose ends would've made a lot more sense once tron 3 was made. Shame Disney gave up on it because it wasn't as big a cash cow as SW or fucking Frozen and Pixar.