Thread: Star Wars 9

blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I feel much the same about the movie as I did the first time, even though I was entirely sober.

The first half of the movie, I found myself thinking "hey, this is actually pretty fun; I love the chemistry of these characters and this crazy adventure they're on. This movie got unfairly dumped on."

Then the second half, I found myself thinking "yeah, this is a mess that kind of deserves to get dumped on, especially because it's supposed to be the grand finale." There are still things I like in that last half, but there are also a lot of really dumb things that are dumb enough and important enough that they're hard to overlook.

And yeah, the turning point is roughly the same, when it became obvious they never figured out how to get out of the situation Fisher's death put them in. That's about the point where my quibble with the movie starts being about more than a character's lightsaber.

A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Still mad they brought Palpatine back. That character was written and acted too well to be brought back like that to cover up a terrible triology plot. Lolz at secret son and granddaughter.

Don't script writers get paid well at Hollywood?

First Star Trek and then this.

The prequels were amazing compared to this crap- except for Jar Jar.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Lucas himself said he was the key to all of this.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

It's pretty worrisome that they aren't acknowledging the issues with the movie (even though the movie itself pandered to the dumbest complaints about the last film, including the ones that were outright toxic). I liked the first tow movies (to differing amounts) so I'm not prone to criticize things just because it isn't part of my nostalgia. But there are actual issues with how they wrapped things up. Rey's heritage and Palpatine's out-of-nowhere return aren't even my biggest issues. The ending is very unsatisfying , and becomes even more so when one considers that this was hyped up as the conclusion of everything that came before. Even if you addressed only the movie on it's own and not how it related to the other movies (my biggest gripe was making Skywalker's sacrifice seem meaningless which is way worse for the character than anything in TLJ), it has serious problems. The end battle is a tease, the way Palpatine is defeated is lame, and the conclusion of Driver's character arc fails on all kinds of levels. The actors are what make the second half of that movie have any rewatch value; they almost overcome the awful material they were given.

-Zhuangzi

Likes Totenkindly, The Cat liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah I dont blame the actors in the least... well, except for when they take it all personally and lash out at fans for not liking it.

I'm not sure the fans matter as much to the franchise anymore. -_-
    I am The Cat; who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me...
    The Cat is a fey, mercurial thing, given to fits of pique, moody silences, and eerie displays.

But it's just the price I pay
    Destiny is calling me
    Open up my eager eyes
    'Cause I'm Mr. Brightside...