User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Lake Mungo: scary or boring?

Since it's the Halloween season, maybe you can help me out.

Lake Mungo is probably the creepiest movie I've ever seen, and it often pops up in "Most scary movies" lists. But I've noticed there are many people who find it boring and not at all scary. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground. It doesn't seem to matter how avid a horror fan they are. I'm trying to figure out if maybe the division is type related. I'm interested that one movie can so thoroughly creep out one horror fan and put another to sleep.

If you've seen it, how did it affect you and what is your type?

Edit: For those of you who haven't watched it and are curious, here's a spoiler-free recent review

It's a movie that's best watched knowing as little about it as possible.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Since it's the Halloween season, maybe you can help me out.

Lake Mungo is probably the creepiest movie I've ever seen, and it often pops up in "Most scary movies" lists. But I've noticed there are many people who find it boring and not at all scary. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground. It doesn't seem to matter how avid a horror fan they are. I'm trying to figure out if maybe the division is type related. I'm interested that one movie can so thoroughly creep out one horror fan and put another to sleep.

If you've seen it, how did it affect you and what is your type?
    I haven't seen it or really heard of it (which is rare -- I have seen so many horror films and are aware of most I haven't seen).

After reading the quick reviews, I will add it to my Halloween film list this year and let you know what I think...

(So far this year, I tried to watch "In the Tall Grass" -- meh, only made it 30 minutes in -- and then "Happy Death Day 2U" which is more like comedy-horror, so I'm looking for some better stuff.)

I have noticed this with some other movies, especially in the psychological horror bracket. Some people are into jump scares, other people are tapped into broad feelings of eeriness/dread.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp

I haven't seen it yet, but will try to find a showing and respond. I mostly responded now to help me find the thread again later.
    bunny omi

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    I haven't seen it or really heard of it (which is rare -- I have seen so many horror films and are aware of most I haven't seen).

After reading the quick reviews, I will add it to my Halloween film list this year and let you know what I think...

(So far this year, I tried to watch "In the Tall Grass" -- meh, only made it 30 minutes in -- and then "Happy Death Day 2U" which is more like comedy-horror, so I'm looking for some better stuff.)

I have noticed this with some other movies, especially in the psychological horror bracket. Some people are into jump scares, other people are tapped into broad feelings of eeriness/dread.
    A common denominator in the experience of the people who most enjoyed it was watching it in the dark by yourself. It isn't a watch-with-friends-and-popcorn movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenetta View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but will try to find a showing and respond. I mostly responded now to help me find the thread again later.
    I've heard it's on Amazon Prime at the moment.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp

I think I do have amazon prime for shipping but never use it for videos yet. Ideally I want to go watch a scary movie alone in a theater but I live in a smallish town, so it may not be showing. I could try the amazon prime thing.
    bunny omi

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenetta View Post
    I think I do have amazon prime for shipping but never use it for videos yet. Ideally I want to go watch a scary movie alone in a theater but I live in a smallish town, so it may not be showing. I could try the amazon prime thing.
    It's from 2008 so I wouldn't like your chances of finding a screening. Especially if you're in a smallish town.
    Likes Ravenetta liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

A common denominator in the experience of the people who most enjoyed it was watching it in the dark by yourself. It isn't a watch-with-friends-and-popcorn movie.
    That's kind of my favorite way to watch horror films -- at 1am with all the lights out, alone in the dark.

yeah, I'm a nut

I wanna see Egges' "The Lighthouse" coming out shortly. (His last film was "The Witch".)

It looks like the original 2008 is Rent/Buy on Amazon Prime, and then there is an "After Dark: Lake Mungo" (2010) release for Free Prime. They are the same length. From what I can guess from searching online, I think the 2010 version is the same film, just under the "After Dark" studio... a re-release (?).

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

That's kind of my favorite way to watch horror films -- at 1am with all the lights out, alone in the dark.

yeah, I'm a nut
    That's the best way for this movie, more than any other one I've seen. I think even having one other person in the room would probably ruin the effect a bit, and you only get one chance to watch a great movie for the first time.

It looks like the original 2008 is Rent/Buy on Amazon Prime, and then there is an "After Dark: Lake Mungo" (2010) release for Free Prime. They are the same length. From what I can guess from searching online, I think the 2010 version is the same film, just under the "After Dark" studio... a re-release (?).
    I'm pretty sure they're same movie. After Dark was just the company that distributed it in the US. Most of the After Dark titles were terrible, but Lake Mungo was an unexpected gem. The fact it was released by After Dark probably helped it to stay hidden actually.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 sp/sx

Is the tall grass bad? that bums me out, i really like the aesthetic from what Ive seen (I havent seen it yet) I love the idea of the horror of being lost in tall grass, though i spent my childhood playing in fields like that so im fond of plant based adventure
    With all due respect,
    The Cat.

I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...
    I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now.
    Who knows what goes on in the mind of a cat?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

First things first: Lake Mungo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Is the tall grass bad? that bums me out, i really like the aesthetic from what Ive seen (I havent seen it yet) I love the idea of the horror of being lost in tall grass, though i spent my childhood playing in fields like that so im fond of plant based adventure
    The concept is so freaking great, and the film is best when it just leaves you listening and lost in tall rustling empty grass. Or when you hear people calling for help in the distance but are unable to help them because you can't figure out where they are. (I never got lost in a grass field before, but I did grow up in corn country -- I remember being weirded out by how wild it was to be standing in a row of corn stretching above your head, and you could see super-far down your row but were blocked from seeing anything to your right or left because of the wall of stalks. It was such a weird experience.)

But pretty much any human story in there so far seems to just flatten out the film. It's got the ambiance, it just doesn't seem to have a compelling story.

Likes The Cat, JivinJeffJones liked this post