• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Actors not as bad as people say they are

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I think good comedy actors (due to their timing and ability to make things funny) can actually be really effective dramatic actors if they learn how to channel the energy a bit -- they usually can give lifelike performances that merge humor and tragedy, etc.

Robin Williams is the most obvious example of this, I guess.

Comedic actors make my favorite serious actors and I think sometimes viceversa. I really like Will Farrel in Stranger than fiction or Jim Carrey in the number 23, Robin Williams in his dramatic roles were simply stellar. on the other side of the coin, James Lipton in Arrested Development was simply hilarious and he was still very serious.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^great example would be Leslie Nielsen, who was able to turn his stoic deadpan into a highly bankable asset in comedy films.

The Cat

Staff member
^^great example would be Leslie Nielsen, who was able to turn his stoic deadpan into a highly bankable asset in comedy films.

Yes! I think Steve Carell does that too. But LN was like a machine about it somehow.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jason Voorhees.

Or the stuntmen who usually played him. Kane Hodder is best known because he played him more than any other actor. He got a lot of the little physical tics down just right, like the way he heaved his chest when he breathed, or the way he turned his head first, then his body. Steve Dash played the most human Jason in part II, showing him as a somewhat vulnerable backwoods killer. Richard Brooker played up the sadistic side of Jason in part 3. Ted White just played him like a really pissed off killer in part 4, getting the run and the body language right. There were others, but those 4 jump to mind as the most iconic ones to play Jason.

In general, styuntmen and stuntwomen are unsung heroes of cinema and they do a lot more acting than we realize.

The Cat

Staff member
Jason Voorhees.

Or the stuntmen who usually played him. Kane Hodder is best known because he played him more than any other actor. He got a lot of the little physical tics down just right, like the way he heaved his chest when he breathed, or the way he turned his head first, then his body. Steve Dash played the most human Jason in part II, showing him as a somewhat vulnerable backwoods killer. Richard Brooker played up the sadistic side of Jason in part 3. Ted White just played him like a really pissed off killer in part 4, getting the run and the body language right. There were others, but those 4 jump to mind as the most iconic ones to play Jason.

In general, styuntmen and stuntwomen are unsung heroes of cinema and they do a lot more acting than we realize.

Silent actors who wear masks in horror movies are indeed very talented and very underrated, and I like to imagine very attentive lovers. :wubbie:

rav3n

David Boreanaz isn't that bad an actor. He's doing well in Seal Team as his usual strong type but this time, the role's a bit more meaty since it includes internal struggles. While he won't win any serious awards for his acting, he's believable in this role. That said, there are some solid supporting actors around him and a decent script, so that helps too.

The Cat

Staff member
I wish Will Farrell would make more movies like Stranger Than Fiction. It is my favorite of all his movies, it's wonderful.

Same :yes: Its one of those performances that is utterly shocking that there were not more.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Some others:

Kristen Stewart -- She got a bad rap for her most popularized films -- basically the Twilight crap, and that Snow White film she did (totally miscast in that one) -- but if you ever see her in any dramatic arthouse films, she is totally top notch and has actually been winning awards overseas (like a Cesar -- equivalent to the US Oscar). Think "Clouds of Sils Maria" or "Personal Shopper." They are just films not a lot of people know about or take time to see. I think she even got kudos for Adventureland some years back. Basically, she's just not cut out for blockbuster / conventional roles, she just is now working films suited for her acting approach.

Robert Pattinson -- Same deal, and he's been making a comeback in the last few years with films like "High Life" and "Good Time." his first role was splashy -- Cedric in "Harry Potter & Goblet of Fire" -- but again got dragged through the muck by Twilight. He's in Eggers' second moody horror film "The Lighthouse" coming out at the end of October.

Jack Black -- Again, he just needs the right roles. He can be really lovable and accessible. Think more "School of Rock" here.

Yeah, I'm having trouble remembering how much I've seen him outside of movies that utilize his familiar personality. (I know he was in that film a year or two back, playing a doc who was studying concussions in pro football, but I didn't see it.) He's essentially super-likable and feels grounded.

---

I was gonna mention Bill Hader, because for a long time he was kind of written off as a comedian; but lately he seems to be getting the praise he deserves. Kristen Wiig also seems to be considered a successful actress now too.

Robert Pattinson - Obviously the new Batman takes all the oxygen but I'm interested to see him as the Dauphin in The King on Netflix.

Jack Black - Always liked him, even Tenacious D.

Bill Header - SNL of course but Documentary Now!. It's also on Netflix. Barry blows it all out of the water. I didn't watch the first few episodes but my husband was like - you have to see Henry Winkler, yes Henry Winkler in this show!

Eva Green

I like her very much, she plays those dark roles so well.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
David Boreanaz isn't that bad an actor. He's doing well in Seal Team as his usual strong type but this time, the role's a bit more meaty since it includes internal struggles. While he won't win any serious awards for his acting, he's believable in this role. That said, there are some solid supporting actors around him and a decent script, so that helps too.

He was great as Booth in Bones. For some reason he's just one of those guys who is a decent actor who just got stuck in the TV series purgatory.

rav3n

He was great as Booth in Bones. For some reason he's just one of those guys who is a decent actor who just got stuck in the TV series purgatory.
That too. He's a limited actor but when slotted in the right role, is consistently believable.

The Cat

Staff member
Robert Pattinson - Obviously the new Batman takes all the oxygen but I'm interested to see him as the Dauphin in The King on Netflix.

Jack Black - Always liked him, even Tenacious D.

Bill Header - SNL of course but Documentary Now!. It's also on Netflix. Barry blows it all out of the water. I didn't watch the first few episodes but my husband was like - you have to see Henry Winkler, yes Henry Winkler in this show!

I like her very much, she plays those dark roles so well.

she has such an appealing fury.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
That too. He's a limited actor but when slotted in the right role, is consistently believable.

Yep. He's like the perpetual military/government soldier character. Just one day I'd like to see him undertake a role which allows him to showcase his acting range -- I'm thinking opposite Renee Zellweger as a out of work, middle-aged mime who decides to embrace his voice and pursue a career as a Broadway singer.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ah yes, I remember that show. My sister used to watch old reruns of it whatever that channel was called. So I guess I do have a little more experience with his acting. From what I recall, his personality on that show is fairly similar to the one he gave the genie. So maybe he doesn't have much range? I don't know.

No he can do drama. Check out Concussion, Ali, Pursuit of Happyness.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think good comedy actors (due to their timing and ability to make things funny) can actually be really effective dramatic actors if they learn how to channel the energy a bit -- they usually can give lifelike performances that merge humor and tragedy, etc.

giphy.gif

;)

The Cat

Staff member
Donal Logue is underrated. He needs to be in more stuff.