• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joker

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't seen it but lost interest in superhero movies about a two years ago. It's almost as if I know everything that will happen every time no matter what. This seems like a nice change in the rig he direction.

I wouldn't even call it a superhero movie, in fact, the batman references felt a bit shoehorned into a movie about a mentally ill person in a fucked up society.

Tomb1

The Joker is unapologetically nihilistic by the end of the movie. Mental illness doesn't account for that.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought of this post immediately when I saw the scene. Laughed inappropriately too.

I liked it. Regarding the controversy, I can definitely see why it would make people uncomfortable, but....

This movie was nowhere near as bad as those stupid fucking neo-fascist Kingsman movies (which were also way more violent than this) which I've never seen a media outlet go after.

Oh, I was unclear on one thing...

I actually found the movie rather thought-provoking... definitely a lot of rewatch value for sure. Anyway, my final take on the whole controversy is that it's not like people don't still study movies that had a far worse impact than this probably ever will in film school. I don't think Arthur's actions were morally justifiable and a lot of his behavior was legitimately off-putting, but so much about the wider context was really interesting.

Also... about relating it to the Batman canon... I think it's kind of interesting to maybe interpret this as the origin of the Heath Ledger version, at least as an experiment. To watch Dark Knight with this in mind. I think there were a few things in the movie that leaned toward that, even if age and a bunch of other details don't match up. There's the fact that he painted his face and had a shaggy unkempt green mane rather than something more manicured like Jack Nicholson. There were also a few things he said in the last third that could belong on the same contiuum. Hell, maybe even "these people need now, but when they don't, they'll turn their backs on you", which might reflect a change in attitudes among Gotham residents marking a shift towards greater levels of cruelty.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it does seem like a psych thriller to me, yeah
I personally liked the movie, and I have trouble responding to how well he portrayed Joker relative to others since there is a lot of information I am missing about the character. The only other portrayal I have seen is the Heath Ledger one (and Jared Leto - Suicide Squad, but I didn't like the movie...)