User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    TNG was the best. The next in line for me is Voyageur which you'll likely disagree with.
    Voyager would be number 3 for me. It’s unfairly lambasted but it did a good job of exploring the human condition with characters like The Doctor and Seven of Nine. I’m very pleased they’re bringing Seven back for the new Picard series as I always wondered how her character might have evolved since the end of Voyager.

Voyager also had some great episodes that really stand up there alongside the best of TNG and DS9, like “Distant Origin”

I'm going to make a wild guess that your next in line is DS9.
    Yep. If Picard is my favorite captain, I found Sisko the most relatable. And the show expanded the world building arguably even better than TNG did. No Trek series did a better job of fleshing out the various cultures and the politics. TNG May have done philosophy better but DS9 explored grey morality and the complexity of political maneuvering masterfully

That said, Kirk was lame and overacted by Shatner.
    My second least favorite captain after Archer. However I think Shatner acted well when he had a really good director handling him. Nicholas Meyer got him to tone down the overacting in ST II and ST III, and Shat actually did pretty subdued, nuanced performances in those films. And he did alright in III and IV with Nimoy directing him.

Spock and Bones made the show.
    Agreed.

I'd walk on amputated stumps through deep snow, to watch an ST series that rebooted (not dark or gritty) or emulated NextGen. Considering the state of the world, we need a show that's not dark, has wonder and gives hope to the future.
    Then you should give The Orville a try. Set aside any preconceptions or distaste for Seth McFarlane. Even though he’s the captain, he hasn’t tried to make it all about him. It borders on plagiarism but it’s apparent the creators really love TNG and wanted to create a spiritual successor that doesn’t toss out optimism or try to be a grimdark drama like nearly every other current sci fi series
    Likes rav3n liked this post

werewolf of london Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    TNG was the show that made me love Trek. I’m still fairly meh about TOS. TOS never got all that philosophical and instead relied on morality plays with Kirk delivering his stern Bob Saget speeches to naughty aliens at the end of each episode. TNG took it to another level. I want another Trek show that can do that and more.
    Well, it did give us whatever this is supposed to be.

I also like tribbles... the fact that they just made (or purchased) throw pillows and overdubbed purring on to them is pretty hilarious. McCoy talks about observing their anatomical structure at one point, but let's be real, it's probably just goose down.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Mysterious Stranger View Post
    It really kinda bugs me when shows treat aesthetics as like icing on a cake, not to say I really enjoyed tos aesthetics, but I mean, I guess it's not like they changed the physical aesthetics of actual alien races...did they?
    Errrr.......
    I dont want to know do I?
    BWA HA HA HA HA HA!

I was okay with it, but I understand why a bunch of people didn't care for it / got pissed over it.

Aside from the paywall issue and coming late to the party, there's also a problem with TV maturing a lot in the last 10 years. I guess some shows still do okay even if they are reflective of an older style, but Discovery had a lot of problems because it couldn't decide what it wanted to be tone/theme wise, lost its showrunner before Season One production was completed, and it really feels cobbled together in terms of vision -- it's like the vision changed drastically. Plus they rushed a lot of storylines that could been incredible if they had given them room to breathe. I kinda liked it until the last few episodes,where they seemed to gut everything that I personally found appealing to return it to a more "on brand" style Trek.

I didn't watch Season Two.

I don't know if I would like TNG today. I like the stuff that is more story arc and/or deeper characterization, but some of it feels too encapsulated / too trite for me, now that I have been spoiled by a lot better TV drama shows. Shows with too neatly packaged dialogue and episode wrapups where everything goes back to status quo at the end of an episode are not something I'm much into any more, although I remember liking it in the early 90s.

I definitely think a lot of the TNG searches have been pushed by the Picard series, which has a lot of buzz.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes The Cat liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    BWA HA HA HA HA HA!

I was okay with it, but I understand why a bunch of people didn't care for it / got pissed over it.

Aside from the paywall issue and coming late to the party, there's also a problem with TV maturing a lot in the last 10 years. I guess some shows still do okay even if they are reflective of an older style, but Discovery had a lot of problems because it couldn't decide what it wanted to be tone/theme wise, lost its showrunner before Season One production was completed, and it really feels cobbled together in terms of vision -- it's like the vision changed drastically. Plus they rushed a lot of storylines that could been incredible if they had given them room to breathe. I kinda liked it until the last few episodes,where they seemed to gut everything that I personally found appealing to return it to a more "on brand" style Trek.

I didn't watch Season Two.

I don't know if I would like TNG today. I like the stuff that is more story arc and/or deeper characterization, but some of it feels too encapsulated / too trite for me, now that I have been spoiled by a lot better TV drama shows. Shows with too neatly packaged dialogue and episode wrapups where everything goes back to status quo at the end of an episode are not something I'm much into any more, although I remember liking it in the early 90s.

I definitely think a lot of the TNG searches have been pushed by the Picard series, which has a lot of buzz.
    The spikes in interest for TNG seem to coincide with times major announcements have been made about Picard. I am speculating but I think TNG has been kept alive in the pop culture memory quite a bit with almost constant references in certain media like any Seth McFarlane cartoon (he’s a gianormous fan boy). TNG for some reason has also been a huge source of memes in the Internet age, even in the semi-early years when stuff like the darkmateria Picard song was a thing, and for instance popular images/gifs like Picard facepalming, etc. All of that likely contributed to it remaining a trending search term well after its cancellation and even before anyone knew that Stewart would return to a new series. I wouldn’t be surprised if Red Letter Media didn’t play some role in continuing interest with those hilarious Plinkett reviews of the TNG films as well, since they likely drew a lot of views from SW fans who first watched Plinkett’s Phantom Menace review

I was surprised DS9 seemed to trend less than Voyager since it’s generally regarded so much better by most fans, but then it was always sort of the bastard stepchild of the franchise and it just never seemed to make the same splash in the greater pop culture memory as its sister shows did. I think it was always that one trekkies watched when there wasn’t a new episode of TNG or later Voyager on TV any given week. Also it was doing extensive multi episode arcs at a time when most dramatic TV was still sticking to the episodic format, so if people tuned in in the middle of an arc, they must have found it more difficult to follow and just given up (I didn’t even give it a serious shot until I had a friend with the entire DVD set who let me borrow it; it truly was a show ahead of its time and would have been HUGE had it debuted in the age of stream-and-binge). Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan have also remained fairly prominent with roles on popular series, so I’m sure that’s helped. Whereas all I can remember from DS9 is Bashir in a bit part on Game of Thrones and OBrien in an occasional movie

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    Well, it did give us whatever this is supposed to be.

I also like tribbles... the fact that they just made (or purchased) throw pillows and overdubbed purring on to them is pretty hilarious. McCoy talks about observing their anatomical structure at one point, but let's be real, it's probably just goose down.
    Some of the medical devices McCoy uses were salt shakers painted if I remember correctly. Then there’s that one same shot of the ship orbiting a world, with the planets sometimes airbrushed different colors for different episodes. And how about those cheap space suits or environmental suits they sometimes wore that looked like they were made of cheap plastic rain poncho material

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I would love to Watch Star Trek Discovery; unfortunately, it's locked behind the paywall of CBS streaming. So alas I must say nay nay, perhaps I might buy into CBS streaming if they keep discovery rolling, and have enough shows I watch that justify paying for one show that might not make it.
    This is always a huge deterrent to my watching something. I don't think I have ever paid to watch anything, except when buying tickets to a move theater. No cable, no netflix, no subscriptions. None. I have never had enough free time to spend watching things to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I share Spock's opinion of them, though they are somewhat entertaining as viewed in a world where I don't actually have to deal with them.
    They are quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they are a bit . . . different.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9 sx/so

We have tribbles on Earth, but they're called rodents. They can be very cute and endearing, and tend to multiply at exponential rates in short time periods in the absence of natural predators.

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx

And chinchillas don't like Klingons
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

We have tribbles on Earth, but they're called rodents. They can be very cute and endearing, and tend to multiply at exponential rates in short time periods in the absence of natural predators.
    The trouble with tribbles, the wrangling of rodents...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes The Cat liked this post

werewolf of london Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

I share Spock's opinion of them, though they are somewhat entertaining as viewed in a world where I don't actually have to deal with them.
    They are indeed pleasing.

If I don't take better care of my cat's weight, he's going to end up resembling a tribble. I've been only given him 1.5 cans of food daily as opposed to the usual two, so hopefully that will help.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi