• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Bass Guitar Appreciation Thread

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gilmour is credited with playing bass for several songs on "The Wall." :shrug:

Yeah. Waters couldn’t really play the fretless too well.

He was an adequate bassist but his talent lies in lyricism and songwriting

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
John Entwistle was a beast. The Who basically reversed the roles of guitarist and bassist, with Entwistle playing bass as though he were the lead guitarist and Pete Townshend often playing the guitar as more of a rhythmic backing instrument.

Meatloaf's face in the following video :laugh: he looks like a little kid. Entwistle just keeps a straight face like "I can do this shit in my sleep"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Waters didn't really write a lot of complicated bass parts but there was something visceral about his minimalist style. Some of his playing on the early Floyd albums almost foreshadowed the minimalist style of punk and new wave. Odd the early punk rockers always looked down upon bands like Pink Floyd. they had more in common then they realized.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can’t tell if this guy is the real deal or if he’s playing a character and going for a Borat/Zohan sorta thing

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When people say budget lines like Squier are shit, sometimes I think they're just being snobs, or trying to justify themselves having likely dumped 2 grand on some bass or guitar. I've met players who swear by Squier. In fact, if anything, it's usually not the instrument itself, but the pickups that pose a potential issue. I knew one guy who played a Squier Jazz bass with upgraded pickups and he swore he couldn't tell the difference from a true Fender jazz bass. Squier uses the exact same specs, and in many cases the same types of materials as fender to produce their instruments. They tend to be made overseas, which considerably lowers the price. Otherwise they have to adhere to the same exact quality control standards and specifications as Fender guitars. If anything, I'd be worried about the conditions for the workers making squiers, i.e. are they slaving to produce them in a sweatshop with no windows for 12 hour shifts?

Another great "budget" line is Danelectro. I think Jack Bruce of Cream played a dano bass at some point, and John Entwistle used a Danelectro Longhorn Bass on several 60s Who recordings. I nearly bought a Danelectro DC Bass way back when I was first shopping for one, before ultimately deciding on a Squier Precision Bass, but sometimes I wish I'd gone with the Danelectro instead. I like the design of the neck better, and it has a very unique shape that stands out amidst an army of brands that have tried to copy the classic fender and Gibson bass designs. And with a good set of flatwound strings, it sounds about on par with a Fender.

Hofner basses are also surprisingly affordable, and one would expect their value to have soared, given the association with Paul McCartney. I played an off-brand copy belonging to a friend once and it was delightful. The smaller scale made it a lot easier to shred.

Regarding more expensive brands, I'd always wanted a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 bass, but when I had the opportunity to actually play one in a music store, it was a major letdown. I'd already become accustomed to the feel of fender necks and fretboards, and I just couldn't get used to the flatness and hard edges of the Ric. It also doesn't do as well in lower frequencies. It has a very "punchy" sound and can handle the mid range and higher octaves quite well, which is good if you want the bass up front doing a lot of soloing, but it struggles with the lower notes in a way that most basses do not. Damn it's a pretty instrument though, and if I had the money to burn, I'd probably own one.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose a couple of these are just guitar heavy (taproot and q.o.t.s.a.) rather than bass in particular, but to my ear they're more bass heavy than a lot of rock. But maybe that's just me. :shrug: But - I chose the 311 one and breeders because of bass specifically.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also this is not the best recording of this song but it has a fantastic bass riff and I'm posting this vid because Ed is hot in it :happy2: And, they arguably sound quite good live.

I can't vouch for the skill of this bassist but this was one of the first covers of the bass portion I saw on youtube so here it is

Edit: Also a good baseline in this one -

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Regarding more expensive brands, I'd always wanted a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 bass, but when I had the opportunity to actually play one in a music store, it was a major letdown. I'd already become accustomed to the feel of fender necks and fretboards, and I just couldn't get used to the flatness and hard edges of the Ric. It also doesn't do as well in lower frequencies. It has a very "punchy" sound and can handle the mid range and higher octaves quite well, which is good if you want the bass up front doing a lot of soloing, but it struggles with the lower notes in a way that most basses do not. Damn it's a pretty instrument though, and if I had the money to burn, I'd probably own one.
So what version did you get try? I know the 4001 had the brighter tone capacitor for the bridge, then when the 4003 came out they had a bassier one, and finally Rickenbacker went to the push-pull bridge tone pot so you can switch between the two.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what version did you get try? I know the 4001 had the brighter tone capacitor for the bridge, then when the 4003 came out they had a bassier one, and finally Rickenbacker went to the push-pull bridge tone pot so you can switch between the two.

I think it was a 4003

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose a couple of these are just guitar heavy (taproot and q.o.t.s.a.) rather than bass in particular, but to my ear they're more bass heavy than a lot of rock. But maybe that's just me. :shrug: But - I chose the 311 one and breeders because of bass specifically.

Bass is the bones of rock music. Sometimes even simple bass lines are effective. I was listening to The Strokes first album earlier today. Incredibly simplistic lines usually just playing the root notes of whatever chords being played by the guitars and yet still effective

That Breeders bassline is great, it makes that song.