User Tag List

First 123 Last

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Oh my bad, I thought you were talking about the national geo channel but I guess they won't be inventing television for another few epochs in middle earth. Too bad, I would love to watch Giant Spider Week on Discovery Channel.
    They all seem giant when they're latched onto your face.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I always wanted to see more of the cultures and people from the east. I hope they will visit or at least speak of them in the series. And the blue wizards? Some accounts hold they showed up in the second age.
    Saruman probably screwed over Alatar and Pallandro somehow.

"Go east," he said. "It'll be gorgeous out there," he said.
    It was not.
    Nor did Curinir tell them that it was populated by magic-dampening giants with a liking for wizard flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mysterious Stranger View Post
    I got really excited about the Tick, Amazon has burned me before.
    Yeah, some of the Amazon stuff isn't good. Some of it's been decent. (Their version of The Boys is better than the source material, for example, IMO.)

In terms of avoiding HBO's "Game of Thrones" problems, at least -- the story is complete, and it's only in mostly broad historical format. So we're not going to have an issue where they have a lot of details to hew to for the first few seasons, then have to make up the rest and botch the conversion. It's actually a more preferable situation IMO, they have the basic foundation of the world but can flesh out their own specific storylines.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post

It was not.
    Nor did Curinir tell them that it was populated by magic-dampening giants with a liking for wizard flesh.

Yeah, some of the Amazon stuff isn't good. Some of it's been decent. (Their version of The Boys is better than the source material, for example, IMO.)
    Yeah, the boys looks pretty good, but I and MAtt Mercer loved the new tick. Ive been into that show since I was a kid and this was the best one. but i dislike endings so Carnival Row has faeries so that's interesting, but Im hoping it gonna be a round for a bit befre I get invested.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Mysterious Stranger View Post
    Yeah, the boys looks pretty good, but I and MAtt Mercer loved the new tick. Ive been into that show since I was a kid and this was the best one. but i dislike endings so Carnival Row has faeries so that's interesting, but Im hoping it gonna be a round for a bit befre I get invested.
    Yeah I have seen mixed reviews on that, so I haven't dived in.

I'm having trouble knowing what I will like. I thought I'd be excited about the Dark Crystal but got bored after 15-20 minutes. Wasn't really enamoured by Disenchantment either enough to leap into Season 2, it was okay but felt like it was far less than it could have been. I've watched Season 1 of The Boys twice now.

The Tick is a cool idea, but I've only watched a bit of the animated show + the live action stuff. I want to watch GLOW and Mindhunter new seasons but am still summoning energy.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes The Cat liked this post

Yeah I have seen mixed reviews on that, so I haven't dived in.

I'm having trouble knowing what I will like. I thought I'd be excited about the Dark Crystal but got bored after 15-20 minutes. Wasn't really enamoured by Disenchantment either enough to leap into Season 2, it was okay but felt like it was far less than it could have been. I've watched Season 1 of The Boys twice now.

The Tick is a cool idea, but I've only watched a bit of the animated show + the live action stuff. I want to watch GLOW and Mindhunter new seasons but am still summoning energy.
    Season 2 for Mindhunter was well worth the binge watch.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I hadn't heard about this before. If Amazon does it right, it should be pretty good. I am also looking forward to Netflix's The Witcher.
    The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience. Patience means restraining one's inclinations. There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, adoration, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience.

Ieyasu Tokugawa

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Season 2 for Mindhunter was well worth the binge watch.
    I am finally moving through this and am pretty happy with the season -- I feel like it's stronger than the first, mainly for dealing with the primary characters more deeply than season one. Up to episode 7 now.

I think one hurdle I needed to get across was how to frame it -- it's kind of "loosely based" on reality. The criminals are more closely based on reality, but it's pretty well recognized that Holden is based on John Douglas, whereas Tench is based on Richard Ressler... but they're just somewhat based while having their own foibles. (I think Holden is a lot fussier than Douglas, for example.)

I think it's a sign of strength of the series that i feel a fairly deep understanding and empathy with Tech, for example, who scans as a very different personality style than me (what is he? ESTJ? ESTP?) and he's kind of the Type A guy's guy persona who sticks with the facts and doesn't have a lot of time for mumbo-jumbo intuitive horseshit even when he recognizes it can be valuable and who sees value in Holden. His personal dramas are still very tangible to me, especially with his family, and his role in evoking/mediating change in the agency's approach. Even Wendy Carr who is pretty uptight is loosening a bit in part due to her odd relationship with Kay, and Ted Gunn (who just took over the assist Dir role overseeing Behavior Science) is both affirming and kind of creepy -- I love how he plays that role, he's on the level but you also can tell he's manipulating and even jockeying for some notice himself by the department's potential success, either tangibly or historically.

The other thing is that they are using the "personal" dramas to inform the methodology they are developing in the field with killers, suggesting also in part that people are people whether non-criminal or criminal. Wendy forges a connection with a killer by revealing part of her life that others think she is just kidding about (so now she's got a secret), which ALSO is what she's been laying into Holden about doing and telling him he needs to rely more on the instrument. Well, she learns sometimes the instrument is not effective when dealing with a particular kind of criminal. Meanwhile, Bill's drama with his son's being involved in a murder case and his family under scrutiny gives him an understanding on how the system can be levied against him (so he knows what's it like to be scrutinized) + I think watching his own son suffer from psychological distress will eventually lead to some insights of childhood behavior maybe contributing to future criminals. Also, this whole sense of "what is delinquent" -- you can tell he's really unhappy with the judge ripping on how he'd just like to lock juvenile criminals up young without letting them have a shot at normalcy ("I look in their eyes and can just tell they're bad") -- well, where does his son fall into that? He's getting an idea that at least some criminals can be MADE, not born... through psychologically distressing incidents. I think weaving the personal and the impersonal together was really smart - life informs insight and vice versa, and maybe the line really isn't THAT sharp between the damned and the law-abiding.

Likes rav3n liked this post

I am finally moving through this and am pretty happy with the season -- I feel like it's stronger than the first, mainly for dealing with the primary characters more deeply than season one. Up to episode 7 now.

I think one hurdle I needed to get across was how to frame it -- it's kind of "loosely based" on reality. The criminals are more closely based on reality, but it's pretty well recognized that Holden is based on John Douglas, whereas Tench is based on Richard Ressler... but they're just somewhat based while having their own foibles. (I think Holden is a lot fussier than Douglas, for example.)

I think it's a sign of strength of the series that i feel a fairly deep understanding and empathy with Tech, for example, who scans as a very different personality style than me (what is he? ESTJ? ESTP?) and he's kind of the Type A guy's guy persona who sticks with the facts and doesn't have a lot of time for mumbo-jumbo intuitive horseshit even when he recognizes it can be valuable and who sees value in Holden. His personal dramas are still very tangible to me, especially with his family, and his role in evoking/mediating change in the agency's approach. Even Wendy Carr who is pretty uptight is loosening a bit in part due to her odd relationship with Kay, and Ted Gunn (who just took over the assist Dir role overseeing Behavior Science) is both affirming and kind of creepy -- I love how he plays that role, he's on the level but you also can tell he's manipulating and even jockeying for some notice himself by the department's potential success, either tangibly or historically.

The other thing is that they are using the "personal" dramas to inform the methodology they are developing in the field with killers, suggesting also in part that people are people whether non-criminal or criminal. Wendy forges a connection with a killer by revealing part of her life that others think she is just kidding about (so now she's got a secret), which ALSO is what she's been laying into Holden about doing and telling him he needs to rely more on the instrument. Well, she learns sometimes the instrument is not effective when dealing with a particular kind of criminal. Meanwhile, Bill's drama with his son's being involved in a murder case and his family under scrutiny gives him an understanding on how the system can be levied against him (so he knows what's it like to be scrutinized) + I think watching his own son suffer from psychological distress will eventually lead to some insights of childhood behavior maybe contributing to future criminals. Also, this whole sense of "what is delinquent" -- you can tell he's really unhappy with the judge ripping on how he'd just like to lock juvenile criminals up young without letting them have a shot at normalcy ("I look in their eyes and can just tell they're bad") -- well, where does his son fall into that? He's getting an idea that at least some criminals can be MADE, not born... through psychologically distressing incidents. I think weaving the personal and the impersonal together was really smart - life informs insight and vice versa, and maybe the line really isn't THAT sharp between the damned and the law-abiding.
    Great analysis.

Not sure what type Tench is either, since he appears to embody traits of both ST types but since he's not heavily detail focused, more likely ESTP, especially considering how easily he adapts to new situations.

Anna Torv does a marvelous job with her character, giving off that unsettling feeling. My guess is that the lesbian non-confession in plain sight, might be a bit of a red herring, in that there's more beneath the surface. She's a bit of a chameleon where you never quite know what she's thinking or feeling.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9 sx/so

I thought Bill was an ESTJ at first. But the way his character developed, P makes more sense. I think Wendy's an INTJ, and Holden's an INFx.

I hope season 3 gets to a Ted Bundy interview. If they set season 3 early to mid 80s, that would line up with around the time the FBI was seeking Bundy's help with the Green River Killer. I wonder if Green River will be the main narrative focus this time.

Seems like they're gradually doing higher and higher profile killers. Won't be surprised if they feature Gacy in season 3 or 4. Dahmer probably comes later, possibly the final season, since he wasn't caught until the early 90s. That's around the time Ressler retired from the FBI.

Douglas did eventually interview the BTK killer, and considering how much they keep teasing him in the pre-credit sequences, I'd be surprised if they don't dramatize their interactions toward the end of the series. It was not an in-person interview, but rather conducted via satellite, so I wonder if the show will take dramatic license and show them meeting in person.

And I'd really like to see more Kemper. That actor really nailed it. Uncanny resemblance. Same with Manson. Clearly the actors have done their homework and closely studied the mannerisms and speech patterns.

werewolf of london Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

It was not.

Isn't the only thing actually known about them is that they went east with Saruman and only one returned? Yeah... that's very fishy.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi