User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 49

  1. #1
    honey don't Honeydew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    MBTI
    IxFJ
    Posts
    72

    Default Dave Chappelle's "Sticks & Stones"

    Has anyone watched this trainwreck on Netflix?



    I once considered myself a fan of Dave's work, but his latest performance is so vile and filled with misogyny and transphobia. When did Dave Chappelle become a white supremacist? I had to stop watching it half way through because my blood was literally boiling.

    These reviews pretty much sum my feelings up:

    All the Worst White People Love Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones

    Vice - You Can Definitely Skip Dave Chappelle's New Netflix Special 'Sticks & Stones'

    Buzzfeed - Sticks & Stones

    Rotten Tomatoes


  2. #2
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    I did. Also a big of fan of his earlier work. My thoughts are as follows:

    1) It felt like he was just trying to provoke everyone, like the article from the Root stated. This is in and if itself not a bad thing for a comedian to do (Carlin did it all the time) but I don't think Dave's commentary (if this is indeed commentary and not just reaching into the barrel) here will have the same sort of landing George's did.

    2) I feel like he's running out of gas. What he did say just didn't seem that interesting to me. Like Kevin Hart, I loved his earlier material but his newer stuff just doesn't seem funny to me. I don't know why.

    That's all I got.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  3. #3
    Senior Member anticlimatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,203

    Default

    I thought it was as funny as anything else he has ever done. He's a notorious master of his craft (other famous comedians are even jealous of his talents), and I think a big part of his success and talent comes from being an individualist who doesn't pander to his audience.

    This guy more or less sums up my detailed feelings on the video:


  4. #4
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    11,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I did. Also a big of fan of his earlier work. My thoughts are as follows:

    1) It felt like he was just trying to provoke everyone, like the article from the Root stated. This is in and if itself not a bad thing for a comedian to do (Carlin did it all the time) but I don't think Dave's commentary (if this is indeed commentary and not just reaching into the barrel) here will have the same sort of landing George's did.

    2) I feel like he's running out of gas. What he did say just didn't seem that interesting to me. Like Kevin Hart, I loved his earlier material but his newer stuff just doesn't seem funny to me. I don't know why.

    That's all I got.
    I watched it twice. It felt like he was provoking, even trolling. It doesn't take a great talent to tear down trans, gay or rape victims, which bums me out because I have liked Dave for a long time. That doesn't make him un-funny. It was just boring since many of his observances are shouted daily by conservative media. I wasn't terribly offended or angered, I just think he can do better than this.

    By the way, there are all kinds of entertainment I don't find as entertaining as I once did. I chalk much of this up to the current world we live in. No desire to watch a fictional dysfunctional billionaire family or political gymnastics or ultra violent military fetishists. I can have that for free daily.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  5. #5
    Shadow Sovereign Sung Jin-Woo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    INTX
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    I heard it was intended to make a point, hence the title, for impact of the current political climate about people being too easily offended by words. I haven't watched it yet, but plan to. He came to my city just the other day, the traffic was horrible lol.

  6. #6
    A Bittersweet Symphony... The Mysterious Stranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    EXXX
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so
    Socionics
    Mad
    Posts
    13,540

    Default

    there are few things humans hate more than a point.
    I am but a dream--
    Your dream,
    A creature of your imagination...


    We're all Faery Tales; after a fashion,
    Our stories unfolding around us...
    and through us...



    In a moment you will have realized this,
    then you will banish me from your visions
    and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me...

    Likes Luminous liked this post

  7. #7

    Default

    Freedom of Speech takes a certain level of maturity and personal responsibility to utilize. No, it doesn’t mean you can say whatever you want. No, you can’t use it to incite violence. Yes, you can otherwise use it to express yourself and your opinion and not have the government or anyone else tell you to stfu and only say whatever they attempt to stuff in your brain and mouth.

    Dave should be able to say whatever he wants within the limits of that right and those that disagree should also be able to criticize him for it in a reasonable manner and not silence him with angry mob tactics. I have a feeling a lot of people would miss the First Amendment if it were ever to be revoked.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker

  8. #8
    A Bittersweet Symphony... The Mysterious Stranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    EXXX
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so
    Socionics
    Mad
    Posts
    13,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Freedom of Speech takes a certain level of maturity and personal responsibility to utilize. No, it doesn’t mean you can say whatever you want. No, you can’t use it to incite violence. Yes, you can otherwise use it to express yourself and your opinion and not have the government or anyone else tell you to stfu and only say whatever they attempt to stuff in your brain and mouth.

    Dave should be able to say whatever he wants within the limits of that right and those that disagree should also be able to criticize him for it in a reasonable manner and not silence him with angry mob tactics. I have a feeling a lot of people would miss the First Amendment if it were ever to be revoked.
    Yeah, but they'd learn to keep it to themselves.


    “I know your race. It is made up of sheep. It is governed by minorities, seldom or never by majorities. It suppresses its feelings and its beliefs and follows the handful that makes the most noise. Sometimes the noisy handful is right, sometimes wrong; but no matter, the crowd follows it. The vast majority of the race, whether savage or civilized, are secretly kind-hearted and shrink from inflicting pain, but in the presence of the aggressive and pitiless minority they don't dare to assert themselves. Think of it! One kind-hearted creature spies upon another, and sees to it that he loyally helps in iniquities which revolt both of them. Speaking as an expert, I know that ninety- nine out of a hundred of your race were strongly against the killing of witches when that foolishness was first agitated by a handful of pious lunatics in the long ago. And I know that even to-day, after ages of transmitted prejudice and silly teaching, only one person in twenty puts any real heart into the harrying of a witch. And yet apparently everybody hates witches and wants them killed. Some day a handful will rise up on the other side and make the most noise--perhaps even a single daring man with a big voice and a determined front will do it--and in a week all the sheep will wheel and follow him, and witch-hunting will come to a sudden end.

    Monarchies, aristocracies, and religions are all based upon that large defect in your race--the individual's distrust of his neighbor, and his desire, for safety's or comfort's sake, to stand well in his neighbor's eye. These institutions will always remain, and always flourish, and always oppress you, affront you, and degrade you, because you will always be and remain slaves of minorities. There was never a country where the majority of the people were in their secret hearts loyal to any of these institutions.”
    I am but a dream--
    Your dream,
    A creature of your imagination...


    We're all Faery Tales; after a fashion,
    Our stories unfolding around us...
    and through us...



    In a moment you will have realized this,
    then you will banish me from your visions
    and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me...

    Likes Population: 1, anticlimatic liked this post

  9. #9
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
    Has anyone watched this trainwreck on Netflix?



    I once considered myself a fan of Dave's work, but his latest performance is so vile and filled with misogyny and transphobia. When did Dave Chappelle become a white supremacist? I had to stop watching it half way through because my blood was literally boiling.
    I'm not sure why any fan of Chapelle's earlier work would be terribly offended by this special. His style and subject matter hasn't changed at all. Much of the second half of the special he talks about race relations from the perspective of a black man, in the same manner that he has done through his whole career - with a pretty great deal of understanding of both the differences and similarities between the groups. I can only assume your white supremacy accusations are indignant hyperbole.

    Personally I found it really funny, although less sharp than his previous works.

    Also, does anyone experience issues with the sound? I watched the first half with no issues, paused it, and then resumed the next day, only to find the sound way less clear, as if recorded with a phone in the audience. I checked, and this isn't an issue with other Netflix titles. Has this only happened to me or has the sound been tampered with?
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

  10. #10
    honey don't Honeydew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    MBTI
    IxFJ
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I just feel like he was bordering on hate speech. Society's values have changed and entertainers need to evolve to accommodate that. If a person operates on the fringe of what is acceptable then they're going to be ostracized and/or censored. It's the only way to maintain a sense of sociopolitical equilibrium in today's divisive climate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    I can only assume your white supremacy accusations are indignant hyperbole.
    I was mostly referring to this quote from the Root article:

    "That said, there are also many who consider this to be one of his best performances. And among that group are trolls, professional bigots, white supremacists, Nazi sympathizers and more of the very worst white people; an adoration due to the parallels between their sensibilities and his."

Similar Threads

  1. Dave Chappelle
    By ajblaise in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 05:29 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Quote on Intution
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO