• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dave Chappelle's "Sticks & Stones"

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
"Critics no longer review things to determine how good they are, but instead how 'woke' they are."

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Jen Kirkman is funnier.
[video]https://www.netflix.com/title/80038335[/video]

Lark

"Critics no longer review things to determine how good they are, but instead how 'woke' they are."

Well, that's a shame, if its the case.

'woke', as I understand it is sympathizing with a bunch of liberal causes and the LGBT normative revolution, I'm not on board with that but I'm happy to co-exist provide they dont become heresy hunters like the authorities of old they think they're an alternative to.

On the other hand, those same authorities of old are still haunting around the place.

Then there's other flavours of faction too.

The whole lot of them are pretty humourless. There's a whole thing about this in Orwell's 1984 disguised as a minor digression about snow globes.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Technically I've been "woke" for years, openly voicing support for gay marriage and civil liberties for non-heterosexual people at a time when most democratic politicians were still nervous about outright supporting such causes. Egalitarian to the point that I thought and still think we should be as gender and color blind as possible in hiring people and determing their pay rates, etc., despite never really using the feminist label in self-application.

My point here isn't to virtue signal what an awesome human being I am, but I find the current idea and methods of "woke" politics troubling and more indicative of a mindless groupthink, focused on outing and utterly ruining anyone who even hints they may not be 100% on board with the supposedly progressive agenda.

Sorry to sound like an old bumpkin, but I miss the old school progressivism that was more focused on economic equality and achieving a decent quality of life than it was on promoting rightthink or making sure people used the proper pronouns and didn't offend anyone with their standup act.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I find the current idea and methods of "woke" politics troubling and more indicative of a mindless groupthink, focused on outing and utterly ruining anyone who even hints they may not be 100% on board with the supposedly progressive agenda.

Amen.

Honeydew

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFJ
Technically I've been "woke" for years, openly voicing support for gay marriage and civil liberties for non-heterosexual people at a time when most democratic politicians were still nervous about outright supporting such causes. Egalitarian to the point that I thought and still think we should be as gender and color blind as possible in hiring people and determing their pay rates, etc., despite never really using the feminist label in self-application.

My point here isn't to virtue signal what an awesome human being I am, but I find the current idea and methods of "woke" politics troubling and more indicative of a mindless groupthink, focused on outing and utterly ruining anyone who even hints they may not be 100% on board with the supposedly progressive agenda.

Sorry to sound like an old bumpkin, but I miss the old school progressivism that was more focused on economic equality and achieving a decent quality of life than it was on promoting rightthink or making sure people used the proper pronouns and didn't offend anyone with their standup act.

I'm offended by this.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP

Honeydew

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFJ
Another one bites the dust

‘Saturday Night Live’ Fires New Cast Member After Slurs Surface Online

“Saturday Night Live” on Monday fired a new cast member slated to start on the NBC show in its fall season, following days of controversy over his use of racial and homophobic slurs.

Comedian Shane Gillis had been named last Thursday as one of three new cast members joining the ranks of the venerable late-night sketch show. Within hours of the announcement, YouTube clips began circulating online that showed Mr. Gillis on a podcast of his last year, using offensive language to describe immigrants and mockingly imitating their accents in a rant about New York’s Chinatown neighborhood. In a different podcast episode that also spread online last week, Mr. Gillis referred to several famous comedians with homophobic slurs.

The online outcry intensified after Mr. Gillis responded on social media, saying that he was pushing boundaries in comedy, and seeming to suggest that critics of his comments were overreacting. “I’m happy to apologize to anyone who’s actually offended by anything I’ve said,” Mr. Gillis wrote in a note posted to Twitter . “My intention is never to hurt anyone but I am trying to be the best comedian I can be and sometimes that requires risks.”

“SNL” Executive Producer Lorne Michaels reacted by firing the comedian before he hit the air, and ahead of the launch of the show’s new season on Sept. 28.

“After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining SNL,” a spokesperson for the show said Monday in a statement. “We want ‘SNL’ to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as a comedian and his impressive audition for ‘SNL.’ We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard.”