User Tag List

First 345

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxFJ

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Well I guess as long as what’s her face is breaking ground talking about her smelly vagina, comedy is in safe hands
    Likes A-a-ron Carter, asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

"Critics no longer review things to determine how good they are, but instead how 'woke' they are."

Quote Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
    I think its a shame if Schumer has just become typecast that way, I liked her TV series, some of her stand up too.

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx

Jen Kirkman is funnier.
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80038335
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    "Critics no longer review things to determine how good they are, but instead how 'woke' they are."
    Well, that's a shame, if its the case.

'woke', as I understand it is sympathizing with a bunch of liberal causes and the LGBT normative revolution, I'm not on board with that but I'm happy to co-exist provide they dont become heresy hunters like the authorities of old they think they're an alternative to.

On the other hand, those same authorities of old are still haunting around the place.

Then there's other flavours of faction too.

The whole lot of them are pretty humourless. There's a whole thing about this in Orwell's 1984 disguised as a minor digression about snow globes.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9 sx/so

Technically I've been "woke" for years, openly voicing support for gay marriage and civil liberties for non-heterosexual people at a time when most democratic politicians were still nervous about outright supporting such causes. Egalitarian to the point that I thought and still think we should be as gender and color blind as possible in hiring people and determing their pay rates, etc., despite never really using the feminist label in self-application.

My point here isn't to virtue signal what an awesome human being I am, but I find the current idea and methods of "woke" politics troubling and more indicative of a mindless groupthink, focused on outing and utterly ruining anyone who even hints they may not be 100% on board with the supposedly progressive agenda.

Sorry to sound like an old bumpkin, but I miss the old school progressivism that was more focused on economic equality and achieving a decent quality of life than it was on promoting rightthink or making sure people used the proper pronouns and didn't offend anyone with their standup act.

MBTI
    INTP

I find the current idea and methods of "woke" politics troubling and more indicative of a mindless groupthink, focused on outing and utterly ruining anyone who even hints they may not be 100% on board with the supposedly progressive agenda.
    Amen.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxFJ

Technically I've been "woke" for years, openly voicing support for gay marriage and civil liberties for non-heterosexual people at a time when most democratic politicians were still nervous about outright supporting such causes. Egalitarian to the point that I thought and still think we should be as gender and color blind as possible in hiring people and determing their pay rates, etc., despite never really using the feminist label in self-application.

My point here isn't to virtue signal what an awesome human being I am, but I find the current idea and methods of "woke" politics troubling and more indicative of a mindless groupthink, focused on outing and utterly ruining anyone who even hints they may not be 100% on board with the supposedly progressive agenda.

Sorry to sound like an old bumpkin, but I miss the old school progressivism that was more focused on economic equality and achieving a decent quality of life than it was on promoting rightthink or making sure people used the proper pronouns and didn't offend anyone with their standup act.
    I'm offended by this.

MBTI
    INTP

Just went to rotten tomatoes to read reviews for IT Chapter Two, and this was the headline of the first review I clicked on at the top:

"It: Chapter Two Adapts a Storyline About Racism Into a Storyline That’s Racist
    The 2019 movie manages to be less progressive than the 1986 novel it’s based on."

It: Chapter Two adapts Mike Hanlon from a victim of racist violence into a victim of a racist storyline.

Uhhhh........... what
    Likes Honeydew liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxFJ

Another one bites the dust

‘Saturday Night Live’ Fires New Cast Member After Slurs Surface Online

“Saturday Night Live” on Monday fired a new cast member slated to start on the NBC show in its fall season, following days of controversy over his use of racial and homophobic slurs.

Comedian Shane Gillis had been named last Thursday as one of three new cast members joining the ranks of the venerable late-night sketch show. Within hours of the announcement, YouTube clips began circulating online that showed Mr. Gillis on a podcast of his last year, using offensive language to describe immigrants and mockingly imitating their accents in a rant about New York’s Chinatown neighborhood. In a different podcast episode that also spread online last week, Mr. Gillis referred to several famous comedians with homophobic slurs.

The online outcry intensified after Mr. Gillis responded on social media, saying that he was pushing boundaries in comedy, and seeming to suggest that critics of his comments were overreacting. “I’m happy to apologize to anyone who’s actually offended by anything I’ve said,” Mr. Gillis wrote in a note posted to Twitter . “My intention is never to hurt anyone but I am trying to be the best comedian I can be and sometimes that requires risks.”

“SNL” Executive Producer Lorne Michaels reacted by firing the comedian before he hit the air, and ahead of the launch of the show’s new season on Sept. 28.

“After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining SNL,” a spokesperson for the show said Monday in a statement. “We want ‘SNL’ to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as a comedian and his impressive audition for ‘SNL.’ We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard.”