• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ music taste

B

brainheart

those are just the infj's you know.

a list of music i cant stand would be much larger than a list of music i like.

Yeah, I can't deal with crap music. It makes me feel ill. It's like claustrophobia. Although I do like a wide range of music, so maybe that would give someone with an untrained ear :)D) the impression that I like everything.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Jazz, classical, Latin music of all kinds...I was a hip-hop fan in junior high and part of high school...Stopped listening to it after a while, but still enjoy listening to it every now and then...though it's more of a guilty pleasure than anything usually. I also like Motown/classic soul/R&B at times...I have even developed a taste for some rock songs, but only a couple. My personal favorite is "Get up Get On" by the Skies of America. For classical music I love Ravel ("Pavane for a Dead Princess" is awesome!)...Also like "Bolero" and "Alborada del Gracioso"...Beethoven, Mahler, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Berlioz...All great. For jazz I like of course Miles Davis (INFJ...Yes), John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Bill Evans, Count Basie, JJ Johnson and plenty more... Latin music I like Tito Puente, Celia Cruz, Selena, Cubanisimo, Machito, Antonio Carlos Jobim, etc. Hip-hop I liked Tupac, Method Man & Redman, Snoop Dogg & Dr. Dre, the Beatnuts, Tribe Called Quest, etc. For Motown and R&B, pretty much any popular hit was great, but I especially loved stuff like Marvin Gaye/Tami Terrell, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder...I love "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and Stevie's "Ribbon in the Sky", "Another Star", etc.

Sorry, there's no way I could pick 5.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The top fives of the two INFJs that I know:

Numero uno:
1. Lyle Lovett
2. James Taylor
3. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (or any variation of the four)
4. Carole King
5. Music for pipe organ/Liturgical music, e.g. J.S. Bach, John Rutter and Olivier Messiaen.

Numero dos:
1. Drum 'n Bass
2. Techno
3. Trance
4. Dance
5. Anything with a strong backbeat

Only pattern I can sense there is that they've got their niches, and don't stray much from them. Whereas, e.g, the two ESFJs I know can enjoy listening to almost anything.

chasingAJ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
FIVE
Music tastes are socially constructed. The songs or type of songs that people are drawn to within the culturally accepted artists/genres would be more telling. Some rock musicians have very soft mellow songs with deep lyrics. Saying you like a rock group isn't as informative as saying you like a few of their more mellow hits.

I like Opera music but that's because I grew up in classical music (which I naturally rejected as a teen so I do love most of late 90's grunge). My grandmother was a classical vocal instructor and I still have the "classical ear" when it comes to singing. I also love words, so anything with an interesting story or that demonstrates a very common situation/mood is good for me. I am notorious for getting into a fight with the other half and blaring whatever pop song on the radio fits the situation. Give me an opera (most of them are past 'done' but it's like vocal olympics really) with a buttery rich mans voice (not too deep, a baritone like my sweetie) and I'm melted. Not that I would turn down a John Mayer type either.

examples
Summer Breeze
Lydia
Almost anything by Amos Lee
Pink (yes, it's pop but the words are soo close to home!)

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think this is all the genres I listen to....in no real order, except that the first two I listen to make up a combined total of at least 500 bands....

death metal
black metal
thrash/crossover
doom
drone
grindcore
gothic metal
ambient/dark ambient
progressive metal/rock
folk metal
industrial
harsh noise
neofolk
classical/neo-classical
martial
jazz
fusion
post-rock
depressive rock
sludge metal
some metalcore (none of the crap that relies on breakdowns, though)
industrial metal
various experimental/avant-garde stuff

So yeah....nothing mainstream or poppy, and nothing really upbeat/happy sounding, cause it seriously irritates me and puts me in a bad mood.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As you can tell from my avatar I love Lady GaGa =)

I'm a sucker for the oldies. I love The Beatles, The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Andy Williams...

I've always been into Regina Spektor. I love her lyrics. They're like riddles :)

I actually find a lot of music boring, current stuff anyways. I'm more into my oldies :)

Prime

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My bank account wishes my tastes were a little narrower, because doing a radio show and jumping genres every chance I get has put me in the poorhouse on few occasions. My latest thing is "world" music. Not the actual world music genre, but Brazilian soul, Turkish psych-folk, North Korean propagandistic pop, etc.

But at the core, my record collection mostly consists of:

60's free jazz (the Coltranes, Sun Ra, Eric Dolphy, etc.)
60's-80's film scores (Ennio Morricone, Bernard Herrmann, etc.)
80's college rock (Cocteau Twins, Husker Du, Mary Margaret O'Hara)
86-93 golden age hip-hop (Eric B. & Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Lord Finesse)
90's indie rock (Sebadoh, Pavement, Archers Of Loaf)

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Random 5 Artists/Groups

Vampire Weekend
Phoenix
Pete Yorn/Scarlett Johansson
Rachael Yamagata
The Postal Service

(I also love opera and jazz, but...a longer list will be...cumbersome)

5 Songs

Everything Is Everything-Phoenix
This Is A Song- The Magic Numbers
We Will Become Silhouettes- The Postal Service
1963- Rachael Yamagata
After Hours- We Are Scientists

Aphex

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Bands:

Sacramentum
Carcass
Death
Pink Floyd
Iron Maiden

As if I could choose 5 favourite songs.

homesick.alien

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Radiohead
Talking Heads
Regina Spektor
Pink Floyd
Jeff Buckley

I like songs with interesting textures and thoughtful lyrics.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to love emotional songs which made me cry, etc, though they ALWAYS had to be melodic and interesting too. However, after I had my heart broken in my mid twenties it seems my tastes underwent a shift. I barely like ballads at all any more. Well, obviously I like some, especially by my favourite bands, but really they have to be exceptional for me to want to listen to them. And I find most ballads are just whiny, soppy and annoying. I really prefer fun, rocking, punchy songs these days. There's enough sadness and emotionality in life as there is. Rock music brings fun and excitement into my life. I also love classical music and that is probably better on the deep emotionality side, especially someone like Chopin. However, Beethoven and the like can be both thrillingly emotional and exciting!

You could say that my "current" favourites and my "traditional" favourites are different so I might provide two lists for the bands. The currents are some of the bands I listen to a lot these days. Whether that will last for years and years remains to be seen. The traditionals are my own "traditional" bands - the ones who I still default to when asked who my favourite bands are, I would see them in a flash (if they're still together), I did listen to them for years and years particularly in my teens...but at the moment I probably don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to.

Currents:
White Lies
The Clash
Fiction Plane
The Police
Def Leppard

Traditional:
Led Zeppelin
Sting (solo)
U2
Midnight Oil
Crowded House

Though actually, I still listen to Crowded House in particular quite a lot. With the other "traditionals" I cited, I go through stages. But I've been obsessed with all of them at various times and for many years.

Five favourite songs - though I wouldn't claim these are THE five for me:

True to Life - Roxy Music
The Magnificent Seven - The Clash
Their Law - The Prodigy
Two Sisters - Fiction Plane
Rocket - Def Leppard

Basically - I would not say my tastes are very INFJ ;) the heavier stuff has much to do with my older brother's influence, I must say.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
This is the CD I burned to listen to in my mini-van:

Another Day in Limbo 3:49 Tonio K Strong Hand of Love - A Tribute to Mark Heard Rock 1
Breakfast 3:38 Newsboys Shine: The Hits Gospel & Religious 1
Everything Is Alright 4:26 Mark Heard High Noon Rock
I Just Wanna Get Warm 3:42 Dan Russell Strong Hand of Love - A Tribute to Mark Heard Rock
It's Not Your Fault 4:01 Ashley Cleveland Strong Hand of Love - A Tribute to Mark Heard Rock 3
Let It Rain 4:18 Newsboys Going Public Gospel & Religious
Lonely Moon 5:14 Kevin Smith Strong Hand of Love - A Tribute to Mark Heard Rock
Love Is Not the Only Thing 4:30 Phil Keaggy & Randy Stonehill Mystery Highway Christian & Gospel
Shaky Situation 4:05 Mark Heard High Noon Rock
Stay 4:14 Tonio K Notes from the Lost Civilization Rock
Strollin' On The Water 5:14 Bryan Duncan The Last Time I Was Here Gospel & Religious 1
Stuck in the Middle 4:43 Mark Heard The Greatest Hits of Mark Heard Inspirational
That Where I Am, There You... 3:23 Rich Mullins The Jesus Record Gospel & Religious
Tip of my Tongue 4:44 The Choir Strong Hand of Love - A Tribute to Mark Heard Rock 1
We Know Too Much 5:51 Michael Been Strong Hand of Love - A Tribute to Mark Heard Rock
When You Called My Name 4:03 Newsboys Going Public Gospel & Religious
You Did Not Have A Home 2:58 Rich Mullins The Jesus Record Gospel & Religious

I also love Weird Al, Jonathan Coulton, and the songs/videos by The Guild.

Omission1234

Bands ohh my I love soo much music i love alot of stuff here are some I could never live without: ps : i totally think music tastes change like the wind i usually move into very different types of music constantly, keep on movin' ! :D.
1. John Frusciante ( solo albums)
2. Captain Beefheart
3. The Ramones
4. Django Reinhardt
5. Eric Clapton
6. The Smiths
7. The Clash
8. Queen
9. Red Hot chili peppers
10. Jimi Hendrix

i feel like ive missed sooo many but its a good thing my computer and bookcases hold alot of music otherwise i would be soo sad theres sooo much but those ten I listen to religiously probably :p I hate making these lists because you get soo excited ! but i cant put all of my favourite bands down because if i listen to the album then it usually becomes one of my favourites.... its sad but sp true. Anyways there is so much more i like to listen to im getting stressed trying to think of everything and not putting it on this ... oh my time to get offline now haha :D

Last edited:

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Minimal list:

Top 5 bands
Tori Amos
P.J. Harvey
Kate Bush
Morphine
Low

Top 5 songs
Hybrid Moments- Misfits
It's a Fire- Portishead
All Tomorrow's Parties- Velvet Underground
Lonely Nights- Testors
Nobody's Baby Now- Nick Cave

MurkLurk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The Minimal list:

Top 5 bands
Garbage
Collective Soul
Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers)
Assemblage 23
Depeche Mode

Top 5 songs
Somebody- Depeche Mode
The Great Divide- VNV Nation
Not The One- Collective Soul
I Won't Back Down- Tom Petty
Thoughts of Flight- Edmund

Genres I listen to a lot are: futurepop, industrial, ska, 80's, 90's, punk, most forms of metal, some pop.

MurkLurk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The Minimal list:

Top 5 bands
Garbage
Collective Soul
Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers)
Assemblage 23
Depeche Mode

Top 5 songs
Somebody- Depeche Mode
The Great Divide- VNV Nation
Not The One- Collective Soul
I Won't Back Down- Tom Petty
Thoughts of Flight- Edmund

Genres I listen to a lot are: futurepop, industrial, ska, 80's, 90's, punk, most forms of metal, some pop.

visiitor

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Most of the INFJs IRL I know have terrible taste in music, so I was surprised when I went on here and found out that some do in fact have decent taste (mainly Sanveane).

Maybe it isn't type related after all. ;)

I don't think music and MBTI is related at all. I find that most people have shitty taste in music because it's not mine. :)

Some favorite artists:
Joy Division, Liars, Philip Glass, Olafur Arnalds, Alt-J, Woodkid, Max Richter, Exitmusic, Suuns, Swans, Metz, Frank Ocean, Common, Mos Def, Saul Williams, Lupe Fiasco, How to Dress Well, Blue Hawaii, Starfucker, Asgeir Trausti, Deathgrips, Daftpunk.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most of the INFJs IRL I know have terrible taste in music, so I was surprised when I went on here and found out that some do in fact have decent taste (mainly Sanveane).

Amen. I'll update it when I'm not so tired.