• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

my views on rick from rick and morty

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
Rick is one of the smartest characters that was ever written,common sense and heighten intelligence,yet he does nothing with it except cause chaos and pain to everyone around him. He could have been a somebody,but he chose to be a nobody. He could easily be rich and contribute so much to society and make the world a better place. When it comes down to it, what's the point of knowledge if you do nothing with it or you do not help the other person

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Well that is the point of the character.

He's like a good parable to a common human failing, which is that he is brilliant in the realm of technical and mechanical ability, being able to devise spectacular science (fiction) devices and tools.

But for all that advancement he's still stuck in the same primitive and common issues that we all share. Loneliness, ostracisation, wounded idealism leading to nihilism, self-aggrandising yet still insecure and so on.
As with the various societies that can be called modern; the technology advances much quicker than the personal development of the species who created it. Concepts like wisdom are hard to define, understand or even justify, being as they are almost impossible to measure and live in a nebulous and ephemeral relationship with context.

And of course we can always be cynical because this is a good protection against self-revelation and also because there are innumerable contexts into which an individual may never be placed, so how could they possibly know of another's pain? And besides, it's well documented what horrible creatures human beings can be and how conditional our ethics are. When all the evidence points towards the worst aspects of our nature, is there any reason to bother?

This seems to be at the centre of a character like Rick. Although I think the infinite dimensions aspect is meant to induce a reflection on the concept of that infinity, that you are instantly replaceable with an almost identical copy, I think it deliberately misses out that with infinity you do not get just the infinity of the worst, you can also have the infinity of the best and all the flavours Inbetween, with the myriad individual variations.

The psychologist at the end of the pickle Rick episode gave a good summing up of the situation, that he vacillates between seeing himself as both the arbitrator of a God-like will that can bring anything into being and being this helpless vessel that has no free will due to the imposition of his knowledge and the causal web he is part of. There is also the rather damning point that she makes, which is that the hard work of keeping things running and working on your flaws is often boring and difficult and there is no way to escape from them to an easy relief. His technology constantly allows him to escape from any responsibility as he sees fit and this instant access is an extremely irresistible temptation.

As an aside, I enjoy the show, but I don't really like a lot of the hardcore fans.

This also makes me think about the limitations of empiricism, which is a method (an important one) to be used in service of the powerful intuitions that created it. However in striving be as objective and ontological as possible, it can be the case that we lose sight of the 'what might be' to be replaced by 'what will be' static and certified. This is not to diminish the scientific methodology, which is vastly important to us and our survival as a species, but to a recognition of the limitations within ourselves and an uncomfortable reality that outliers, such as those same nebulous concepts I mentioned before, will most likely always be with us, as will the role that emotion plays in decision making.

No one seems to have stopped falling in love because we know how the biology works, or because it is boring due to others having also fallen in love.

The brilliant specifics of uniqueness are underrated and disregarded far too easily. There will always be a longing for what is not yet known, or what lies behind the obvious and I don't think we should shut ourselves off from this exploratory urge just because it isn't certain and cannot be measured, for it seems to drive all measurement and without it, I think would be an empty existence.

If that happens, then I'll join Rick.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yep. That's the point of his character. Good job!

Lark

"It is dark, even to the point of being nihilistic; it is absurdist; and it operates less like a novel or serial drama and more like a meme or internet video."

Never Watched ‘Rick and Morty’? This Is What You Need to Know - The New York Times

Not exactly my style.

Rick and Morty is one of the few things that I think any positive or negative reportage of the same can not possibly do it justice, you got to actually watch it, very possibly rewatch entire seasons a couple of times as its so easy to miss stuff in episodes, even ones you've viewed repeatedly.

Also, I think its good craic and its humour is not wide of the mark of your own humour Jag but its up to you, I dont know if you've got Netflix and there is a lot of stuff on there, watching Point Blanche/Dark Spot at the moment and think its very good.

Jaguar

Rick and Morty is one of the few things that I think any positive or negative reportage of the same can not possibly do it justice, you got to actually watch it, very possibly rewatch entire seasons a couple of times as its so easy to miss stuff in episodes, even ones you've viewed repeatedly.

Also, I think its good craic and its humour is not wide of the mark of your own humour Jag but its up to you, I dont know if you've got Netflix and there is a lot of stuff on there, watching Point Blanche/Dark Spot at the moment and think its very good.

Arrrrrgh.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Arrrrrgh.

Rick and Morty is a show following Doc and Marty from Back to the Future on adventures through time and space, except Doc is an asshole and Marty is a wimp, and there's a lot more black humor and absurdism. I've always had a soft spot for media about eccentric scientists/ inventors.

This is the clip that got me into the show:

It doesn't give you a sense of the dynamic between the characters, but it does give you a sense of the sci-fi tinged absurdism. What is a plumbus? We don't know, and it's impossible to figure out, but the clip acts as though everyone knows what they are and what they do. So we get treated to a nonsensical "how it gets made" documentary of some alien doodad.

Lark

Rick and Morty is a show following Doc and Marty from Back to the Future on adventures through time and space, except Doc is an asshole and Marty is a wimp, and there's a lot more black humor and absurdism. I've always had a soft spot for media about eccentric scientists/ inventors.

It doesn't give you a sense of the dynamic between the characters, but it does give you a sense of the sci-fi tinged absurdism. What is a plumbus? We don't know, and it's impossible to figure out, but the clip acts as though everyone knows what they are and what they do. So we get treated to a nonsensical "how it gets made" documentary of some alien doodad.

That episode is about channel hopping and there are those "how are they made" shows on digital and regular channels, my dad used to watch them and the channels of people building sheds or doing woodwork projects in time lapsed fashion, so it is that premise but made weird.

That's one of the cool things about the show, like good books it gets people to appreciate the mundane or everyday by lifting it and subjecting it to scrutiny by making it weird and making you think about it afresh or anew.

Jaguar

I loathe those types of cartoon shows, drawing the characters so they look like they were run over by a bus and bringing in voices that make you want to slap the show's producer. Beavis and Butthead. The Simpsons. Et al. "How something gets made" may interest me depending on the topic, but not when it's presented in a cartoon. Different strokes for different folks.

Lark

I loathe those types of cartoon shows, drawing the characters so they look like they were run over by a bus and bringing in voices that make you want to slap the show's producer. Beavis and Butthead. The Simpsons. Et al. "How something gets made" may interest me depending on the topic, but not when it's presented in a cartoon. Different strokes for different folks.

I liked both Beavis and Butthead and The Simpsons, did you ever watch King of The Hill?

Cartoons can be hit and miss as I dont really like Family Guy and its spin offs or American Dad.

Rick and Morty is a bigger thing I would say but you know.

It came out and then I think it was some how dormant for years and years building a cult following the whole time, then the next season finally came out, there were ads for a long time and even one featuring the Simpsons, they are talking the next season could arrive in November some time but they are keeping it sort of vague too.

Some of the content in the show and then there's this video game created by the dude who created it and that Jack Black promoted on youtube which contains similar humour, anyway, some of the content has made me think the dude who created it is mad, I mean really.

Lark

I knew you were going to say that. ;)

No, I never watched King.

I thought it was a good show.

Its different to a lot of animated shows as it is more like a situational drama than a situational comedy. I know a lot of people thought it was deliberately hokey but it had a certain charm and I liked it a lot. The very last season as exclusively digital, which I actually thought was a shame, I'd collected the rest of the seasons on physical copy. They did a proper finish to it though.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Rick is one of the smartest characters that was ever written,common sense and heighten intelligence,yet he does nothing with it except cause chaos and pain to everyone around him. He could have been a somebody,but he chose to be a nobody. He could easily be rich and contribute so much to society and make the world a better place. When it comes down to it, what's the point of knowledge if you do nothing with it or you do not help the other person

I doubt Ryan Ridley and Dan Guterman are on this forum.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know there is quite the obsession with this show but I've never been inclined to enjoy it much.