• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The John Wick Triptych

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
John Wick 3: Parabellum opens Friday.

Got pretty stellar reviews, if people are into that genre.
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum First Reviews: An Escalating Ballet of Blood, Fights, and Insanity << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

I rewatched the first two films last weekend. (I had seen them previously.) With Keanu and a stylistic genre flair, it can be faintly reminiscent of The Matrix, just with underworld killers as the genre. They're not heavy on character drama per se, but they're a good excuse for some stellar actions sequences -- both funny and exhilarating.

They learned from The Matrix -- Keanu barely has lines in these films (and thank god, he kinda kills the film when he has to talk), they surrounded him by stellar actors who CAN deliver lines with ease, and they focus on the action sequences... which are very different from The Matrix, actually. Those styles were flowy, showy, flourishy. John Wick, they are short, rough, guttural, debilitating. It adds authenticity to the action, because a killer isn't out to be fancy or impressive; he needs to incapacitate everyone possible attacking him, as quickly as possible, and know that when they're down the stay down. (There's a LOT of brutal "kill shots" in these films.)

But there's interesting stuff, like the legend itself of John Wick and why he got out of the business, and then why he's back in.

And the mythos of The Continental, the organization/hotel chain for aspiring and professional killers with its own code of payment, honor, conduct.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm willing to bet that they'll be doing prequels after JW3 dies down.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought they were trying to make a TV show about The Continental, etc., but I'm not sure of the status of it.