• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music and psychological impact

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think every musical symbol (melodic, harmonic, rhythmic) has its own psychological impact.

I think every musical instrument has his own impact according to its nature.

I think every voice and its words has his own impact.

I have studied musicology. I mean intervals, scales, counterpoint and such.

What do you think ?

BTW : my favorite band is SITD.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree, to an extent. I don't know about the symbols and musicology bit, but I used to use music to evoke emotions and moods in myself.
Did I want to write and lose myself in my imagination?- I'd listen to some Yanni or Native American flute music and nature sounds. If I wanted to seethe about my ex-husband, I listened to "How's it Gonna Be"

If I want to feel inspired or get goosebumps, I listen to Jekyll and Hyde or watch YouTube or listen to "Turn the Page" (Seger) or "Rooster".

If I need to clean, "Pump up the Volume" helps get me off my butt :D

Harmonies, especially resonate with me (as in Barbershop Quartets or even sounds like YouTube especially at 1:48, 3:09, and 3:35 :O )

But, if you were to ask this of my husband, he would roll his eyes and go searching for his ear plugs :rofl1: :wacko: UNLESS the psychological impact you spoke of was solely one of torture.

I often think of ancient churches and "Pagan" religious rites. The use of chants, vocals and instruments played a very important role in swaying the masses. I think it's awesome that people, from who knows how far back, knew to do that. But it amazes me more that modern people claim the music they listen to, in no way, effects their emotions.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know about the symbols and musicology bit

To know what the symbols are, going to musicology school is not necessary. You just have to read a complete book. And it's gonna be difficult. For 3 days and then it'll feel easier to you.

Besides, symbols have meaning when your own conscience tells you so. It doesn't have to be exactly the same as everyone else.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have Dyscalculia. Even if a symbol “pulls” me in, I forget the significance 10 minutes later.
Same with patterns for crafting.
Even though I’m very musically inclined and love crocheting and plastic canvas needle point; I have to “play it by ear”.

I’ve, easily, spent over 500 hours crocheting a particular pattern for instance. I learned it by watching and copying someone on YouTube. Yet, every single time I begin a new project, I have to go back to that video. I can’t keep the steps straight in my head.

I wish I could understand the symbols of music. I’ve written melodies and songs which I can play. But there’s no way for me to preserve them other than to audibly record them. Add tempo to the mix :freaked:

I’m 45 years old. I’ve tried learning the symbols for most of my life. It just ain’t happening. I’ll just carry on by being moved by the power I feel. I don’t need to understand meteorology to appreciate, or be impacted, by the beauty of perfect day :)

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I’m 45 years old. I’ve tried learning the symbols for most of my life. It just ain’t happening. I’ll just carry on by being moved by the power I feel. I don’t need to understand meteorology to appreciate, or be impacted, by the beauty of perfect day :)

Maybe because your sense of psychological impact feels more immediate to you, because your brain synapses are faster than mine.

I mean, you tend to input the bright side of the world way faster than me because you're a Nine, an Optimistic type, and I think that's a good thing. Because as a Pessimistic I can't stand music if it's not at least extremely beautiful to me.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Heh, thank you, but there is nothing at all fast in my makeup :rofl1: :content:

My husbands a little like that. He like’s some Journey and Simon and Garfunkle (sp) an a few others have tickled his fancy from time to time. I don’t think he truly FEELS the music though.
Do you get goosebumps from music? He thinks that’s such a weird thing lol.

And it’s funny how much I came to love music. I remember being annoyed and confused by my dad because he watched MTV all the time. It was the late 70’s/early 80’s. I was 7-10 years old and I just didn’t get the fascination one bit lol. By 12, though, I was in love with the Bangles, Tiffany and my local radio station WABB :D

When I was about 13, an older cousin introduced me to Cats, Les Mis’ and the Phantom of the Opera ::wubbie: A friend got me into Yanni, instrumentals, and some subliminals.

I have close to perfect pitch (by ear anyhow :rotfl:). Perhaps that’s one reason I get goosebumps and have such a deep love?