• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Transformers" review...

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since my friend (ENTJ)'s bday was the 4th, we arranged to start the celebration by meeting up at my house (a whole group of us) to watch the first Transformers movie from the 80's. There's only one thing I like about that film- the loud and pumped up intro music, especially the way they sing "TransFORMERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSS!!!!!!" (lol I need to get a copy of that soundtrack :D)

We saw the new movie at ~10:30PM, and I must admit I loved it, more for the comedy than the effects. Watching Optimus Prime leaning against Sam's parents' roof trying to avoid their detection was just hilarious.
"Hmmm, this boy's pheromones indicate he wishes to mate with this girl..." hahaha
The sensitive car... stopping, letting everyone out just so it can go find a pimp-ass Camaro to copy, then coming back in style to pick the two up. That was hilarious.

BTW, the whole thing in Keirsey's description of ENTJ... how ENTJs enjoy associating with superheroes and military leaders and the like, that is alive and well in my friend. He's a huge comic fan, way into Transformers, G.I. Joe, Superman, Spiderman, Batman... all of it. While he hasn't actually taken an MBTI test, both his wife and I are pretty damned sure we have his type identified, she was practically laughing when she read Keirsey's description of the ENTJ. (She is INFP)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:yim_rolling_on_the_ :harhar: :devil:

I wondered why Sdalek didn't wear the Japanese Autobots t-shirt I got him in Winnipeg a few years ago. :whistling: I noticed other folks had their Autobots shirts on.

I wonder how Sdalek would feel if Hollywood remade Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans with CGI instead of stop-motion? I think it would be cool for what it's worth, but Sdalek would probably think it's an utter disrespect to Ray Harryhausen's genius!

BTW, the whole thing in Keirsey's description of ENTJ... how ENTJs enjoy associating with superheroes and military leaders and the like, that is alive and well in my friend. He's a huge comic fan, way into Transformers, G.I. Joe, Superman, Spiderman, Batman... all of it. While he hasn't actually taken an MBTI test, both his wife and I are pretty damned sure we have his type identified, she was practically laughing when she read Keirsey's description of the ENTJ. (She is INFP)

Spirilis, I don't remember Keirsey's description of the ENTJ that you're describing -- was it in Please Understand Me or Please Understand Me II?

I used to enjoy cop movies. When I was young, my grandmother took me to the movies like every weekend. She took me to see some really bad PG-rated crime comedy films, like Cop and a Half with Burt Reynolds.

Now that I'm old enough, I'm into the R-rated cop films, like 48 Hrs. and Midnight Run, two of my favorite cop films. I'm also an avid watcher of The Shield and I used to watch The Commish, also starring Michael Chiklis.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Spirilis, I don't remember Keirsey's description of the ENTJ that you're describing -- was it in Please Understand Me or Please Understand Me II?

I used to enjoy cop movies. When I was young, my grandmother took me to the movies like every weekend. She took me to see some really bad PG-rated crime comedy films, like Cop and a Half with Burt Reynolds.

Now that I'm old enough, I'm into the R-rated cop films, like 48 Hrs. and Midnight Run, two of my favorite cop films. I'm also an avid watcher of The Shield and I used to watch The Commish, also starring Michael Chiklis.

It would have been PUM II I believe. I have the book at home, I should reread to verify.
My INTJ roommate is also into those cop shows now... he's started watching Law & Order. I've found my interests usually follow similarly to my ENTJ friend's, which currently include Smallville, Stargate, BSG and Heroes.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Huh, weird, I am looking through Keirsey's description of ENTJ and not finding the excerpt I recalled. Damned well making a liar out of myself! Maybe I read it in Lenore Thomson's book... either one of those two would have been the books I'd had on me when I was discussing MBTI with my friend's wife.

Opivy1980

MBTI Type
INTJ
I haven't seen Transformers yet but I want to. I loved the old TV show and movie, however I don't expect this movie to be as good as those. I don't understand how people can expect a movie based off of a kid's show to be full of in depth plot. If I want something that is going to make me think I watch indie films, if I want something that is going to be a fun enjoyable movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, I like action, comedy, mainstream films. What I hate though are movies that are supposed to be serious that just absolutely suck and come out looking ridiculous, or movies that are supposed to be funny that try so hard that they aren't.

Quiesce

"We learned Earth's languages though the... world wide web" -Optimus Prime

Shocking claim considering the the complete lack of "lol", "pwn", "all your base...", and dancing hamsters in the film. Though Optimus does say "my bad".

Then you have this exchange between Maggie Madsen (the aussie) and some g-man lackey.
Maggie: "The signal is evolving. You need to move past... ...transfers and start thinking quantum mechanics."
G-Man: "There is nothing on Earth that complex"
Maggie: "What about an organism, some kind of DNA-based computer?"

I was unable to identify the word between "past" and 'transfers".

Any product placements were very subtle, so you have that.

Anyway, I didn't enjoy the movie.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I wonder how Sdalek would feel if Hollywood remade Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans with CGI instead of stop-motion? I think it would be cool for what it's worth, but Sdalek would probably think it's an utter disrespect to Ray Harryhausen's genius!

GAH!!!! A pox on you!

I saw Clash of the Titans six or seven times when it came out! I built models for making stop motion films with an old Super-8 mm camera.

To be fair, what you're suggesting might be interesting--as long as they didn't Lucas the originals. :doh:

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
Just imagine all the Disney cartoons being live action film with special effects! That would be bliss for me!!!

Interesting . . .

I wonder what you would think about the emerging chip/bliptune scene that has musicians writing compositions specifically for outdated, limited hardware, like the original Gameboy.

I am far more impressed by art that should, from first glance, be hindered by technological limitations, yet manages to stand high, dismissing convenience for a more intimate message.

Your view seems to embrace that which occurs in tandem with convention over that which develops outside or underground. Of course, I am making a great deal of assumptions in this claim.

Curious, in any case . . .

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, as I said, better technology = better movies. Apparently, I'm the first to admit it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Well, as I said, better technology = better movies. Apparently, I'm the first to admit it.
I don't know if I agree with the generality across the board, but I will say that better technology made movies based on LOTR and Narnia possible in a respectable way and I'm very glad about that.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your view seems to embrace that which occurs in tandem with convention over that which develops outside or underground. Of course, I am making a great deal of assumptions in this claim.

Not true. You see, the Star Wars prequels were developed outside the conventional system, as are most Robert Rodriguez films. The conventional Hollywood system is actually more interested in building large sets which would be torn down after they are used -- way more expensive than computer graphics. The majority of Hollywood is also still opposed to the use of digital filmmaking techniques.

Technological innovations allow you to be more creative, too, because they expand limits. Movies with technological limitations can be more creative within those limits, but that's more of a practical creativity. Typical mainstream movies are more visionary.

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
Interesting again, although I am wary of agreeing that "typical mainstream movies are more visionary."

I can see how this claim can work from a technophilic position, but would certainly argue against the vision of storytelling (all elements of: characters, dialogue, plot, as well as composition, setting, etc) in these films being necessarily (or even generally) "more" than films working outside the mainstream system.

Although CG/digital tech has almost achieved a position that I will often find myself buying into it, I find modern movies that use, for example, puppets to generally be more charming if not substantially better on all counts except "use of modern tech."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm talking about from a technophilic and action sequence point of view, yes. Action sequences in mainstream movies are definitely more visionary and operatic. I really don't care as much for story and characters, at least not in a summer blockbuster.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha!! That was so cool!

I have a transformer of my own...right down there in the middle! I'm playing with it as we speak!!!

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Haha!! That was so cool!

I have a transformer of my own...right down there in the middle! I'm playing with it as we speak!!!

Hm.

You can take a simple ... or ... wait ... damn these innuendos! :doh:

HEY!

I found a new pun!

mianus.jpg

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I look at that candy bar, I'm reminded of a certain scene in Caddyshack.