• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

You are what you read?

Lark

I guess by now most people have heard the idea that you are essentially a composite of the six people you most frequently interact with, does anyone think the same could be true of what you read? Like news media, other media, genre fiction or other sorts of fiction?

If you think its true, how true of you is it?

Mole

Permabanned
The printing press, invented in 1440, created the book. The very first book printed was the Bible which has been one of most printed books in history.

The book privileges the eye and creates the literate individual.

The book has now become the content of the net. As a result it has risen in status, as do all media, when they are superseded.

The book has been superseded by the electronic media: the electric telegraph in 1840, the telephone, the radio, the television, and now the computer. The electronic media use the book as content and create the electronic tribe in the global village.

The book based on the phonetic alphabet created civilisation, and we can now see the electronic media are not civilised.

The traditional tribes were replaced by literate civilisation, and now civilisation is being replaced by electronic tribes, who have already begun their disrespect for civilisation, particularly their disrespect for free speech.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't read shit. So I guess I'm nothing.

Unless you count random articles about conspiracy, quantum theory, star wars, anime, philosophy thoughts, and such. Half of them being podcast related because I'm too lazy to read it and would rather listen.

Ironically though, I write.

Mole

Permabanned
It is not what we read that makes us, it is the act of reading that makes us. And it makes us into literate individuals.

Print is linear and sequential, we read alone, not speaking to another person, and so creates the literate individual.

Pleased to meetcha.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I suppose I'm History books and mystery novels then. If the two are combined in some way, it's even better. Kind of hard to fathom how I could be either. It could reflect my personality by reflecting my interests (I love old things—especially buildings and I have an inquisitive personality and am always trying to learn and figure out new things).