• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Book club- Wind- Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Kas

Fabula rasa
[MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION]

I finished reading the book. So, the blue spot has healing powers--if you lick it. But probably only temporary, like Nutmeg's. It's too bad that no one came up with a permanent solution to heal inner globs. I feel like, whether or not Toru or Kumiko had an inner 'glob', the clients who had them should have taken more proactive measures to find their own solutions, instead of repeatedly paying a healer for sessions without long-term effects. Toru healed his own blue spot by confronting the other world, and Creta--if it worked as she'd planned--repaired hers by having sex with her last prostitution client, Toru. (This author sure finds a lot of odd uses for sex!) But the wealthy women keep paying for temporary healing from others. They need to discover their own versions of the well, or the last prostitution client.

Yes comparing with Toru clients seem to choose very passive way of dealing with their "problems"- or rather making them go away for the while.

It's funny because Toru seems like very passive character. A lot of things seem to simply happen to him. He talk with woman because she calls him, she talks with Malta because Kumiko tells him to, with Kreta because she comes, Nutmeg also found him. He is an observer type and during reading I have a thought that a lot of things happen to him simply because he doesn't say "Leave me alone". On the other hand he can fight for what he believes as for his relationship. The book advises to stop and observe. So perhaps that's a way of being active noticing, understanding and taking opportunities as they come.

My other thought- I was thinking about what was said in the second part of Mamiya story. He wrote that it was easier in past when the evil was more evident. Later it became more masked, more manipulative. (or something similar) I thought that Noboru represented this modern evil - which is making good impression, but is creating the destruction in complex ways.