User Tag List

First 123 Last

@Metis have you read the part about musician ? What do you think it meant?
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    @Metis have you read the part about musician ? What do you think it meant?
    With the baseball bat?

I don't know. I didn't like that guy in the first place, ever since he held his hand in the candle. Too masochistic.

My dominant arm is immobilized right now, so it's hard to type. What do you think that might mean?

Do you think the musician represents something about Toru or his life?

He was a creepy dude.
    Likes Kas liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Metis View Post
    With the baseball bat?

I don't know. I didn't like that guy in the first place, ever since he held his hand in the candle. Too masochistic.

My dominant arm is immobilized right now, so it's hard to type. What do you think that might mean?

Do you think the musician represents something about Toru or his life?

He was a creepy dude.
    Yes, this one.

Poor you. What happened? No people with baseball bats I hope - this would be to much of experiencing the novel

Haha, you are better judge of character than me. I was interested after first meeting and then shocked during the second.

I think the guy is linked to Toru. Or maybe even both Toru and Kumiko.
    He always appeared in a difficult moment of their relationship (abortion and then - if I remember well- after Kumiko wrote him a letter and he was thinking about leaving.

Considering the speech he gave, maybe he is simply personification of pain. When Toru hits him, he has a moment when Toru is close of killing him, but man only laughs. Perhaps because it is not possible to kill completely the pain, make it go away?
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Yes, this one.

Poor you. What happened? No people with baseball bats I hope - this would be to much of experiencing the novel

Haha, you are better judge of character than me. I was interested after first meeting and then shocked during the second.

I think the guy is linked to Toru. Or maybe even both Toru and Kumiko.
    He always appeared in a difficult moment of their relationship (abortion and then - if I remember well- after Kumiko wrote him a letter and he was thinking about leaving.

Considering the speech he gave, maybe he is simply personification of pain. When Toru hits him, he has a moment when Toru is close of killing him, but man only laughs. Perhaps because it is not possible to kill completely the pain, make it go away?
    Maybe, but there was something about the blandness of his music, too. Why, do you think? It apparently wasn't pain inducing to hear, even figuratively speaking. Just plain & uninteresting to Toru.

Both subjects you wrote about are something I cannot fully gasp, but here are my thoughts.

I think the inside entities are suppose to represent the jellyfish world. Something hidden from the world. Darkness, fear, anger, sadness. Hidden because how to show the world of jellyfishes while most of the people find them gross or dangerous? Or perhaps hidden from the owner as well?
    Firstly I thought it applies to women who were somehow abused , assaulted which created some kind of darkness inside of them. Toru first meets this in case of Creta and thinks the same. He asks May whether she ever felt this way when she says about her experience, but she says she didn't. In her case may it be fear of death and sadness, feeling of lost?

In this way, when understood as a kind of the darkness inside of me that I prefer nobody to know- I can relate to this.

But understanding it this way, I can't understand why it seems to be only inside of women. Here I'm lost.

Haven't thought of it (cat and bird missing same time). I like it as more flesh-and-blood explanation.

I have few thoughts on wind up bird, but no conclusions.
    I had a concept that bird may be a magpie. The book starts with "The Thieving Magpie" when Toru is making pasta, when the woman calls. And also I remember watching a program about magpies being able to recognise themselves in the mirrors. They were marked with colourful stickers, most of birds knew these are them and tried to remove the stickers with their beaks from their bodies (so they knew the reflections aren't themselves).
    Toru as you written has connection with wind up bird and after he leaves the well, he is marked with a scar- so he knows something "real" happened out there and he can continue to find true about his relationship. But not only. His character from the very beginning seems to be finding true about himself - who he is? what he should do in life?

I think this is really good what you noticed about dynamics of Toru's world after bird was gone.

You are another person who writes about "A Wrinkle of Time" with many good words and I've never read it. I like the idea of chronos and kairos time.
    The cat is back now, they've excavated the well, and he's been sitting in it again.

LOL Why does everyone keep licking his blue spot?

Maybe, but there was something about the blandness of his music, too. Why, do you think? It apparently wasn't pain inducing to hear, even figuratively speaking. Just plain & uninteresting to Toru.
    There wasn't anything particular about his music, but this is what he said after performance:
    The reason that people sing songs for other people is because they want to have the power to arouse empathy, to break free of the narrow shell of the self and share their pain

The cat is back now, they've excavated the well, and he's been sitting in it again.

LOL Why does everyone keep licking his blue spot?
    I don't understand this as well. Weird! I think that if I saw someone with scar licking it wouldn't be on top of my list

@Kas

I finished reading the book. So, the blue spot has healing powers--if you lick it. But probably only temporary, like Nutmeg's. It's too bad that no one came up with a permanent solution to heal inner globs. I feel like, whether or not Toru or Kumiko had an inner 'glob', the clients who had them should have taken more proactive measures to find their own solutions, instead of repeatedly paying a healer for sessions without long-term effects. Toru healed his own blue spot by confronting the other world, and Creta--if it worked as she'd planned--repaired hers by having sex with her last prostitution client, Toru. (This author sure finds a lot of odd uses for sex!) But the wealthy women keep paying for temporary healing from others. They need to discover their own versions of the well, or the last prostitution client.

Then Nutmeg would have to find another career or return to fashion design.

The baseball bat musician is like a demon Toru had to fight with in order to gain the weapon to kill the enemy in the other world. It's like the guy in the Old Testament (Jacob?) who wrestles with the angel.

The ending was odd and abrupt. It seemed like the author was leaving room for the possibility he'd write another sequel, or he just likes to "leave more questions than answers" as the philosophically-inclined literary & dramatic arts people would say.

Some very sad war stories, but informative as well.

I have few thoughts on wind up bird, but no conclusions.
    I had a concept that bird may be a magpie. The book starts with "The Thieving Magpie" when Toru is making pasta, when the woman calls. And also I remember watching a program about magpies being able to recognise themselves in the mirrors. They were marked with colourful stickers, most of birds knew these are them and tried to remove the stickers with their beaks from their bodies (so they knew the reflections aren't themselves).
    Toru as you written has connection with wind up bird and after he leaves the well, he is marked with a scar- so he knows something "real" happened out there and he can continue to find true about his relationship. But not only. His character from the very beginning seems to be finding true about himself - who he is? what he should do in life?
    The different versions mentioned end of Ch. 31, Toscanini and Abbado:

Toscanini's does sound more militant, and Abbado's, more playful. Murakami said "soul-stirring intensity" vs. "joyful, contemporary".

I haven't found any magpie call sounds that sound like a spring winding up, though.