123 Last

MBTI
    IxxP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default If you could go back..

...and change career directions, college majors, et al, what would you do differently?

I think I might have liked to have gone into Marine Biology or perhaps Film School. Both were obsessions from an early age that I foolishly ignored in adulthood. Now it's too late for me, but one can still dream like Walter Mitty.

top 5 dream careers I should have pursued:

1. Marine Biologist and Deep Sea Explorer
    2. Film Director
    3. Film Score Composer
    4. Undercover Investigative Journalist
    5. Movie Special Effects Guru

I think some of these could've been paired, like I could've been a documentary film maker and showcased the world beneath the waves, then written the scores for my undersea exploits and adventures. I could've been Kubrick, Costeau and Goldsmith, rolled into one, whilst moonlighting as Woodward. Imagine that. By day, I would dive to the wrecks of ancient mariners and study and document the lifeforms clustered around these burial grounds, by night, I would uncover government and corporate treachery. Or maybe night diving would be more fun.

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx

I can't really do these things per say. I did the best I could at the time with what I had to work with.

I don't really have an end game though, I assume at some point I'll simply stop one way or another. Regrets of the past for me are best left there. There's enough spectres in the present for me.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

∞ Infinite Metamorphosis Hexcoder's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Same as Gentleman Jack for me.
    Likes asynartetic, The Cat liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I started thinking about this 10 seconds before I came here and saw this.

I really want to go back to school so I can do something I don't hate. The problem is that there are so few things I can see myself enjoying long-term. I've had a million ideas over the years and changed with the direction of the wind, so maybe I'm fucked.

Things I consistently like:
    - writing
    - creative problem solving
    - thinking outside the box (original creativity)
    - being my own boss
    - decor design (minus the math)

I can only picture myself happy as an entrepreneur who writes on the side. I could potentially see myself as some sort of life coach, but I need to be careful when it comes to psychiatry-ish stuff because I am so permeable to others' suffering, which could leave me perpetually fatigued and depressed.

I could also be happy working with like-minded people in some forn of the humanities or art/culture scene, or even a cafe/bar combo that stands out from the rest.

Ultimately, I need autonomy and creativity and flexibility of schedule to some degree, along with reasonable pay (I don't need to be loaded).

So, I don't really know what to go back to school for, but I need to decide because I want to start this year.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes ducks, SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    IxxP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I started thinking about this 10 seconds before I came here and saw this.

I really want to go back to school so I can do something I don't hate. The problem is that there are so few things I can see myself enjoying long-term. I've had a million ideas over the years and changed with the direction of the wind, so maybe I'm fucked.

Things I consistently like:
    - writing
    - creative problem solving
    - thinking outside the box (original creativity)
    - being my own boss
    - decor design (minus the math)

I can only picture myself happy as an entrepreneur who writes on the side. I could potentially see myself as some sort of life coach, but I need to be careful when it comes to psychiatry-ish stuff because I am so permeable to others' suffering, which could leave me perpetually fatigued and depressed.

I could also be happy working with like-minded people in some forn of the humanities or art/culture scene, or even a cafe/bar combo that stands out from the rest.

Ultimately, I need autonomy and creativity and flexibility of schedule to some degree, along with reasonable pay (I don't need to be loaded).

So, I don't really know what to go back to school for, but I need to decide because I want to start this year.
    become a wealthy entrepreneur and fund my deep sea expeditions. I'm also gonna need you to pay for my scuba diving classes. And please keep wearing that bunny suit.
    Likes Peter Deadpan, ducks liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I would have stayed with health care but I would have gotten into policy.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    ...and change career directions, college majors, et al, what would you do differently?
    I would not change my education or overall career direction. The only thing I might have done differently is follow up on an opportunity to change employer several years ago. It wasn't the right position at the time, but I probably could have turned it into that after a couple years. I am finding it much harder to move on now.
    They are quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they are a bit . . . different.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

Cynical Existentialist Earl Grey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sp/sx

There were several times I questioned several things I did. But yes, looking back, I did what I could with what I had.
    Certain things were unforeseeable, and certain investments did not pay off.
    Focus on what you have, not what you lost.

I read a nice analogy once, if you were given $50, busted half and have $25, you still do have $25. It's not 0.
    You lost $25, but it's not everything. Treat it as if you were just given $25, go on from there with the knowledge gained from the other $25 lost.
    WHY ARE THERE SHEEP HERE?
    A cleric who acts like a rogue whose patron might as well be a warlock's
    and whose proficiency spread resembles a wizard's.
    Likes The Blood Orange liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I think I'm gonna look into philosophy, either a major or minor or maybe even double major with something like psychology. Ultimately, I want options with the primary goal of being able to pursue writing and/or teaching. The way my mind works, I think I need an excessive amount of stimulation and tinkering with conceptual connections to avoid general neurosis and feelings of dread/pointlessness. People tend to view philosophy as a pointless major, but the statistics show that philosophy majors have the highest jump in income by mid-career and the options are essentially limitless because philosophy teaches you how to think, not what to think.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes highlander liked this post

MBTI
    IxxP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I think I'm gonna look into philosophy, either a major or minor or maybe even double major with something like psychology. Ultimately, I want options with the primary goal of being able to pursue writing and/or teaching. The way my mind works, I think I need an excessive amount of stimulation and tinkering with conceptual connections to avoid general neurosis and feelings of dread/pointlessness. People tend to view philosophy as a pointless major, but the statistics show that philosophy majors have the highest jump in income by mid-career and the options are essentially limitless because philosophy teaches you how to think, not what to think.
    Not to repeat the trope or mantra that philosophy is a terrible major, but I think you're on the right track, pairing that with something a little more practical. I don't necessarily believe that trope, I think that can be the same case with any major. Like, I've met business majors who didn't do squat with their degrees.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post