• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you could go back..

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wouldn't have lost 3 years of my life studying humanities in high school. Since I always knew I wanted to take a career in hard sciences, it turned out as a massive waste of time (I was awful at it) and changing school later on left me with some important voids in my knowledge I'm still trying to fix in uni.
But who knows, maybe if I had felt more confident about my skills in maths now I would be pursuing a degree in Physics or IT, instead of Chemistry. I love where I landed, though. And jokingly making fun of people who don't understand what rheology is just by knowing the greek root has become my thing lately.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Who knows. I don't regret my education choice, but at the same time don't relish in it either. If I wasn't phobia-ridden back then, I would probably would have taken a gap year or something to "come into my own" after high school. I never really had any passions or career goals (and still don't), but I feel that if my interests had a chance to emerge, I could've been more productive and focused.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was thinking psychology instead of english but then.... it would mean I would probably be elsewhere right now and I would not have discovered that crazy forum.
It would also mean I would not believe in destiny...

I have been studying stuffs in psycho, but much later... My path is very unconventional and I have no regret about it. It is part of who I am and my unpredictable decisions.
I don't wanna go back, I just wanna move ahead. :blush:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I would like to know if you have some personal constraints that makes you unable to do a degree or add another degree to your credentials and change career direction
The educational environment seems to be very supportive in Europe and USA.

I heard that in the USA, you have a terminology called non traditional students, I have an impression that they do not restrict the age for having educations. In the country I live, they make the admission policy very restrictive, that only recent graduates of high school and less than three years after high school graduation, we are eligible to register to sit for a state university national examination.
P.S :a traditional student is student who is typically a recent high school graduate, aged more or less 18.

Last edited:

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Nope, I rather enjoyed my area of study. Though it has little practical use because people don’t want to hear it they get offended and scream about their individuality, like everyone else does, like anyone who’s studied people knew the6 would.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm just studying my bsc now, in social psychology at the age of 42, so.... I am taking a subject I rather enjoy. I would have like to have done it earlier and taken a related psychology asters, perhaps forensic psychology. I am interested in several other areas... Astronomy, Physics, neuroscience etc etc

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've concluded that I am trapped. I'll never get out on my own. I have too much responsibility. I've sold my soul.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think I should have gotten a summer job as a teenager looking back. Back then I was like, "Hey, I'm still a kid, I should savor the summer vacations I have before they're gone." But now, I think it would have given me a head start and opened more career paths for me. Also, I really wish I hadn't take as many honors classes as I did. I thought I could do it cause I was a "gifted kid" growing up, and my "people" were mostly in honors classes. But yeah, looking back an A in a regular class probably would have looked just as good rather than straining myself over some label I had as a kid.

Maybe it's cause I've been watching Food Wars, but NECI(New England Culinary Insitute) looks really fun. Even though I'm a clumsy bookworm, I've always thought hands on work was really useful. Zoning out is a big issue for me, so working with my hands brings me back down to earth. Psychology is also something I'd major in, considering I read about typology everyday. There is this school in Maine, Unity College, that was my first choice that has a lot of nature based majors(it was pretty expensive though). I really like being with animals, so zoology and wildlife conversation seemed really interesting.

I like to think there's an entrepreneur hidden inside me. When I was younger I would make up my own inventions-like I remember this candy I made called Muscits which was like a Whopper shaped like an M&M with caramel inside. I had dreams about running my own amusement parks and so I would draw my own rides(probably cause of Rollercoaster Tycoon 3). I really like the idea of freelance work-writing, selling cupcakes in weird flavors, selling little figurines. Being my own boss, getting to do my own thing would be really nice.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I studied marketing and communications in college and I don't really have any regrets about that. It wasn't tough, and it's pretty versatile. I think it can lead to my desired path to one day becoming an editor. I wish I didn't waste a year as an accounting major and hating that, but I don't really wish I could have graduated in 3 years instead of 4. Instead, I wish I took more classes outside of business and writing. Something outside my comfort zone, like history or psychology.

If I could go back, I would definitely pick a different school. The one I went to closed down after I graduated and screwed a ton of people over.

I wish I had a better internship while I was in college. I had an online unpaid internship in which I was not expected to do much, and I did not do very much for them. I'd choose something in-person and more challenging to gain more experience, and preferably paid.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think all broad majors are a risk because of competition, but I think focusing on my natural skills is the way to go regardless because that's what I'll be most motivated to pursue post degree.

I don't want to sell my soul, I want to enjoy my life and scrape by semi-comfortably, no mansions or island retreats for me.

I think the mistake of broad degrees is not knowing how to market them.

When you are going to get employed, it is like marketing yourself. You have to persuade the interviewer that you are the correct fit, you are capable, and your degree qualifies you. If I had an english degree I could still do business. Ultimately you are trained in your exact position, but you market to the business your outstanding communication and editing skills you learned which SO MANY businesses want and boom. You've made yourself competitive.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would have stayed and finished a masters in counseling instead of dropping out and moving across the country for a relationship and marriage that ended up failing. I was quite depressed, though, so I see why it was hard to stick with it. It would have been wonderful to have that certification for my career. It's the only thing I question, although I understand why I made that decision at the time. It was extremely lonely time.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I could go back...I would've started in community college from the get go rather than spending 3ish years changing majors like underwear because I didn't understand what I really wanted or needed in a career or if I was even good at anything. I likely would have tried harder to master my arts rather than trying to sort through my issues now. I might've tried a few actual music lessons to see what they said about my pinky issue to see if there was a way to in fact play without having that struggle.

batteries included

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm, they say hindsight is perfect, but I've only been able to narrow it down.

1) I have a budding interest in law. I research it heavily in my off time (especially as it relates to politics).

2) Something medicine related. I've been fascinated by medical science for ages.

3) Film School/Writing.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Still being in college, I don't feel regret acutely as of yet with my major or career path yet, as I generally enjoy it. But, sometimes I wonder if I could be a competent engineer if I were better at physics in high school. I like the idea of building something, and building a new form of technology with the ability to better people's lives seems wonderful. Then again, I often think about possibilities for the past and future instead of focusing on the present; I've tried to practice more mindfulness and appreciate where I'm at now, if that makes any sense.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I could go back, I’d delete every cringey old thread I’ve ever created

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
If I could go back I would probably get diagnosed with ADHD earlier. This would solve most of my problems.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I would've pursued an AA like I'm doing now rather than the daunting task of getting a bachelor's right out the gate. I'd be collecting them like pokemon if I had started like that.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I shouldn't have listened to my parents when they doubted my decision in my teens for wanting to go to art school. Of course they had that whole starving artist image in mind when I told them that the first time, but times have really changed for such an industry, and now there's a merge in technology that things like graphic/web design, gaming development, computer animation, online editing for film and advertisement, and so forth, that it is only really now this year that I was able to get into it. I know I'm still relatively young in hindsight, but.. fuck, I spent the majority of my 20s flopping around and going through one dead-end job to the next, trying to seek that deep happiness through them and never finding it, and for what? To make people comfortable or feel like they don't have to worry about me? I ended up getting an AA in something business related and office technology crap, but I have exactly zero passion in it.

But, I'm changing career paths now, so the past should be left there and I should do what I've always done best, and just look into the future with excitement.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What does it take to be an herbalist around here? It would be cool to go out and harvest herbs and turn them into medicine, come up with my own brews. Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is a really interesting book, it teaches you all the properties of a bunch of different herbs. Usually instead of taking painkillers I like making tea knowing what herbs can help with what ails me. I have nothing against painkillers, but there's just something so fascinating about discovering medicine outside your backyard. When I'm at the natural food store, it just makes me feel like I'm my best self. It's like I'm at a cottage and an old lady is serving me up a cup of tea to make me feel better. All the herbs and spices and tea blends are so interesting-the smells, the benefits, how rare they are, where they originated from(goes to research).