User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Not to repeat the trope or mantra that philosophy is a terrible major, but I think you're on the right track, pairing that with something a little more practical. I don't necessarily believe that trope, I think that can be the same case with any major. Like, I've met business majors who didn't do squat with their degrees.
    I think all broad majors are a risk because of competition, but I think focusing on my natural skills is the way to go regardless because that's what I'll be most motivated to pursue post degree.

I don't want to sell my soul, I want to enjoy my life and scrape by semi-comfortably, no mansions or island retreats for me.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I don't want to sell my soul, I want to enjoy my life and scrape by semi-comfortably, no mansions or island retreats for me.
    but in the bunny suit, right?
    you do realize that this is the captain?

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    but in the bunny suit, right?
    Sure.

Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes Officer Ed Powell liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Sure.

theres no pix in the spoiler tag.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I think knowing more about myself now, with the idea of seeking out a career that I think I would have both *enjoyed*, that would have utilized some of my strengths, AND would have been practical, AND where a degree would actually be required (vs many jobs that just want you to have any degree and then you work your way up into a unsatisfactory office job) I'd probably major in one of the following -

1. Landscape Architecture
    2. Architecture
    3. Actually remained in engineering but stayed in my original Environmental Engineering vs my switching out into another engineering which wasn't for me at all and then leaving engineering completely. Ironically if I'd stayed in environmental I'd quite possibly have been satisfied with options post-graduation.
    4. Interior Design -- I think I'd enjoy/be good at -- but I'm pretty darn sure the people/sales/finesse element would drive me bonkers, so honestly this would probably be a bad choice for me.

I honestly think that's all I've got. For practical degrees, that is.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers, highlander liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

I'm fine with my major.

I would like to have career at all and I may have had a chance back in the past. Both of those times they were ruined by my Grandmother.

In one instance I was still a minor so I'm not sure if anything I did could change that but if there were-that.

The 2nd I was an adult but had been under my grandmother's thumb my entire life so when she told me that she would call...whomever you call when you've convinced some authority that your child/granddaughter is mentally deficient ( I wasn't. it was just one of her control methods)

Knowing what I know-that anyone she would have called on me would have met me, seen I was fine and told her to fuck off-I'd go back and well, tell her to fuck off.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."

Permabanned

I went for electrical engineering. I didn't like school. It was way too theoretical and focused on regurgitating information thrown at you. But I wanted to engineer things, so I stayed. I loved modifying cars and messing with microcontrollers. I made an autonomous toy car that used sound waves to build up a map of what environment was around it, so it could navigate. I graduated in 2008 with a 2.98 GPA (where most jobs won't hire anyone with less than a 3.0 minimum, but usually want 3.5) because I failed a semester due to depression and not knowing if I wanted to stay in. Coupled with my increasing anxiety at the time, due to many personal factors, and anxiety about student loans and working while in school, and no one was willing to hire me. And I think I got two interviews over a years time and send out thousands of applications. It was also kind of depressing because corporations do most of their applications online, so it's hard to get a leg up for hiring consideration, unless you know someone working there or work there already. Then I found out later that Electrical engineers are over-saturated and I kind of gave up...I do work for a government contractor, but all the "engineers" are just incompetent managers, doing whatever the guy above them wants so they can move on to a "better" management job. Too much dick sucking for me.

But I realized after graduating that I had a poor understanding of what was really going on with electricity; the college I went to didn't care about that. So I spent a lot of time going over more quantum related physics in order to figure it out and I think I've gotten to a point where I'm pretty happy with my understanding, even though it's not all complete. So when someone talks about inductance or capacitance or radio waves and Einstein's relativity, I can abstract why they behave the way they do, and I'm not bragging or something because it's not for everyone, but I really like mysterious shit. But all the other stuff is pretty incredible too; for example, the Higgs Boson and the Higgs field is pretty interesting because there are a lot of theories about what that implies and what that would really mean. My favorite are the motionless ether theories where matter can be created and destroyed (matter and anti-matter). I read that Tesla believed in a similar theory, which fascinates me because he thought the sciences were too narrow-minded and preachy of their pet theories, such as particle physics. Like for example, they say that The Michelson-Morley Experiment (which includes Einstein) contradicts there being an ether because its movement can't be detected, but it's also possible that the ether is inherently motionless. So maybe theoretical physics would have been fun to do instead. It would be really neat to understand enough about it all to finally create a decent theory of gravity and a resulting anti-gravity machine.

But more realistically, I think I'd be happy being an Indie developer. I some money on an Ethereum investment playing with the bubbled cryto-space. So I could fund an operation for some years. I've been thinking about using my GI Bill to go to Digipen for the Real time interactive simulation degree. I could so get engrossed in a career like that and maybe it's what I should have done from the get-go, instead of trying things I was clearly not good at, or passionate about, or passionately disliked, such as being a soldier, or playing the corporate ladder, or working a trade and trying to get really good at it (too much repetition and profit focused). But I guess that's life; don't they say most people don't really get to their right place until about their middle 30s or so? Sounds about right for me, I'd say.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

Zoology and paleontology are two majors that appeal to me but had I taken them instead of the finance/econ route, my son wouldn't have existed and that to me would be a crime. The reason he wouldn't have existed is the inability in either field, to have a consistent and stable family life so we would have opted not to have any children.
    Likes ducks, Hexcoder liked this post

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Would I risk splitting into a parallel reality by changing the past and screw shit up? Nah
    "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch Vi Britannia

Alignment: True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral (Rational Neutral - Rebel Neutral)
    House: Slytherin
    ENTP-Ti / Logical

9w8, 5w4, 3w4 sx/so

In theory: the wings create a strong 4ish imprint

How fascinating the mind is.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I would:
    - Completely redo High school, and get on honor roll and take classes I knew I would enjoy by actually trying.
    - Join the military
    - Go to college and get a degree.
    - Get a decent job, and save religiously.
    “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”
    Charles Bukowski
    Likes Hexcoder liked this post