User Tag List

MBTI
    SINE

Default What's your stance on grades in relation to Intelligence?

Some people will come up with the assertion that intelligence and grades are directly related, which facilitates self esteem issues....Yet, I disagree complete and can prove that there exists a scattered relation at best....Now, I've met people who believed that Mathematical ability yields more value in terms of intellect, yet this again is false and is just a projection due to insecurity manifesting from conditioning. What is your input on the matter?

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

That is only a part of the mix.
    While motivation, quality/sanity of education system and situation in the family shouldn't be underestimated. If there are obvious problems in all three there is no way that you will get this correlation.
    Likes hurl3y4456, ceecee liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Not directly correlated. Exhibit A: Albert Einstein

The higher one's intelligence, the less effort it generally takes to get good grades, *IF* and only if there is internal motivation to get the grades. Different sorts of intelligence will tend towards valuing external requirements to different degrees, and also, there are certain types of intelligence that do not overlay with graded requirements. There is some tendency for high intelligence in one area to imply higher levels of intelligence overall, although this is not 100% of the time. So, perhaps I should say there is not a complete correlation between intelligence and grades, but a general tendency for overall intelligence to make it easier to get good grades when some effort is made.
    It's entirely possible and realistic to live your life in such a way that you don't accidentally rape people. ME
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN
    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY
    You have to let the metaphysical guy chase you. ABIGAIL
    Likes hurl3y4456 liked this post

Intellectual Curiosity and Confidence Help Children Take on Math and Reading - UT News - UT News

AUSTIN, Texas — Children’s personalities may influence how they perform in math and reading, according to a study by psychology researchers at The University of Texas at Austin.

Proficiency in reading and math is associated with a complex system of skills, some of which derive from personality traits. In a study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, researchers found that characteristics related to openness, such as intellectual curiosity and confidence, made children more adept to take on math and reading than characteristics describing conscientiousness, such as diligence and perseverance.

“Our findings provide additional knowledge on the complex set of skills that interact and give raise to differences in academic achievement between children, as well as the complexity of genetic architecture of academic achievement, which is made of many parts beyond intellect,” said the study’s lead author, Margherita Malanchini, a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Psychology and the Population Research Center at UT Austin.

MBTI
    SINE

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    That is only a part of the mix.
    While motivation, quality/sanity of education system and situation in the family shouldn't be underestimated. If there are obvious problems in all three there is no way you that will get this correlation.
    True, the overall quality of these three components would cause grade potential to scatter....If you take a subset of the population with same intellect (hypothetically), then their grades would greatly diminish given all three components yield low quality....If only one component (say motivation) is negatively effected and the other two components are of high quality, then there may exists a better outcome, but the motivation factor would diminish the potential...Of course, a max potential exists for everyone, yet none of us achieve it....Further, if some negative trait such as x,y,z is applied to the same subset and a 3D function is defined where Z axis = grades, X axis = condition, and Y axis = time.... it will follow that the grades will be scattered irrespective of the effort studying.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by hurl3y4456 View Post
    Some people will come up with the assertion that intelligence and grades are directly related, which facilitates self esteem issues....Yet, I disagree complete and can prove that there exists a scattered relation at best....Now, I've met people who believed that Mathematical ability yields more value in terms of intellect, yet this again is false and is just a projection due to insecurity manifesting from conditioning. What is your input on the matter?
    Intelligence may be necessary, but is hardly sufficient. I'm sure I am not the only one who knows plenty of smart folks who don't apply themselves and therefore achieve limited success academically. If they are lucky, their interests will lead them to apply themselves in some other area that at least offers gainful employment and personal fulfillment.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    yupp

They don't but unfortunately they're the only realistic metric that can be used in schools to see how much info is retained and how good their critical thinking skills and analytical skills are.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so