• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your stance on grades in relation to Intelligence?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Some people will come up with the assertion that intelligence and grades are directly related, which facilitates self esteem issues....Yet, I disagree complete and can prove that there exists a scattered relation at best....Now, I've met people who believed that Mathematical ability yields more value in terms of intellect, yet this again is false and is just a projection due to insecurity manifesting from conditioning. What is your input on the matter?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
That is only a part of the mix.
While motivation, quality/sanity of education system and situation in the family shouldn't be underestimated. If there are obvious problems in all three there is no way that you will get this correlation.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not directly correlated. Exhibit A: Albert Einstein

The higher one's intelligence, the less effort it generally takes to get good grades, *IF* and only if there is internal motivation to get the grades. Different sorts of intelligence will tend towards valuing external requirements to different degrees, and also, there are certain types of intelligence that do not overlay with graded requirements. There is some tendency for high intelligence in one area to imply higher levels of intelligence overall, although this is not 100% of the time. So, perhaps I should say there is not a complete correlation between intelligence and grades, but a general tendency for overall intelligence to make it easier to get good grades when some effort is made.

rav3n

Intellectual Curiosity and Confidence Help Children Take on Math and Reading - UT News - UT News

AUSTIN, Texas — Children’s personalities may influence how they perform in math and reading, according to a study by psychology researchers at The University of Texas at Austin.

Proficiency in reading and math is associated with a complex system of skills, some of which derive from personality traits. In a study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, researchers found that characteristics related to openness, such as intellectual curiosity and confidence, made children more adept to take on math and reading than characteristics describing conscientiousness, such as diligence and perseverance.

“Our findings provide additional knowledge on the complex set of skills that interact and give raise to differences in academic achievement between children, as well as the complexity of genetic architecture of academic achievement, which is made of many parts beyond intellect,” said the study’s lead author, Margherita Malanchini, a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Psychology and the Population Research Center at UT Austin.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
That is only a part of the mix.
While motivation, quality/sanity of education system and situation in the family shouldn't be underestimated. If there are obvious problems in all three there is no way you that will get this correlation.

True, the overall quality of these three components would cause grade potential to scatter....If you take a subset of the population with same intellect (hypothetically), then their grades would greatly diminish given all three components yield low quality....If only one component (say motivation) is negatively effected and the other two components are of high quality, then there may exists a better outcome, but the motivation factor would diminish the potential...Of course, a max potential exists for everyone, yet none of us achieve it....Further, if some negative trait such as x,y,z is applied to the same subset and a 3D function is defined where Z axis = grades, X axis = condition, and Y axis = time.... it will follow that the grades will be scattered irrespective of the effort studying.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some people will come up with the assertion that intelligence and grades are directly related, which facilitates self esteem issues....Yet, I disagree complete and can prove that there exists a scattered relation at best....Now, I've met people who believed that Mathematical ability yields more value in terms of intellect, yet this again is false and is just a projection due to insecurity manifesting from conditioning. What is your input on the matter?
Intelligence may be necessary, but is hardly sufficient. I'm sure I am not the only one who knows plenty of smart folks who don't apply themselves and therefore achieve limited success academically. If they are lucky, their interests will lead them to apply themselves in some other area that at least offers gainful employment and personal fulfillment.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
They don't but unfortunately they're the only realistic metric that can be used in schools to see how much info is retained and how good their critical thinking skills and analytical skills are.

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most of the time I think grades have more to do with motivation, effort, and discipline rather than intelligence, but I do think intelligence becomes more crucial beyond high school as you move through college and grad school. You become less able to lean on things like completing and turning in assignments and making up tests/assignments which can often boost grades as grading becomes more focused on things like critical thinking and writing skills.

Tomb1

Intelligence relates to the ability part...not the desire/motivation part.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Grades and intelligence and knock knock jokes and humor. Tomatoes potatoes.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why not both?

Also, it greatly depends. A lot. Not to mention that some people do better in certain subjects than others (I've proved this myself, I did awful while I studied humanities, was top of the class when I changed school and started studying STEM subjects).

Greed

#1 thot

Eternal Harmony

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think that to achieve a grade a lot of factors play a role:
Of course, you need a little background in the subject you are studying, but there are a lot options of learning something in addition to the already known things.
Family and/or friends should give a backup as they have to cope with your "short time" or "no time" undertaking activities in common for some time or that you cannot travel with them as they like.
Most important is a strong self-will to achieve something, self-confidence, some kind of auto-suggestion "I will make it" (but only your own motivation, motivation from others can put you under pressure and build up "black walls"), also some kind of courage (depends on what and when you are studying), self-disciplin.

Last but not least I think that IQ and age do absolutely play not always a significant role in it.