• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ambition/success in society vs. following your passions

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
do you think it is better to follow ambitions which lead to success (by society's definition) and to do what "makes sense", or to follow your passions regardless of the disadvantages your lifestyle may suffer?

if so many people say the same thing, do you think that gives it more credit (ie, maybe they're on to something you dont know?)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
People aren't satisfied no matter their level of success if they aren't following their passions. This applies even to people who were born to achieve success and do nothing but. They always want more.

You can combine the two, if you're lucky.

Furthermore, I've seen more broke people than rich people who seem to have achieved some sort of zen state, a contentment, in their single-wide trailers.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think it's better to follow passions. What's the point on living for what other people expects?
To do what you really want is a true success, more than just being another one in the crowd.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
That's what I did - both.

I fooled around some after high school but then I got going on "doing the right thing." Mixed a lot of fun in amongst it all but didn't much like punching a clock.

Now I'm strictly on doing what I want and when I want.

ygolo

My termites win
Both would be great, but if forced to chose, ambition/success is a bit like a trap.

The short term decissions will make it harder and harder to choose "passion."

I'm not sure if passion would be better because I don't know the pitfalls.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I would never do anything other than my passion. I mean this in the most rigid, uncompromising way possible, too.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm quite broke myself. I think it eventually comes down, not to what you would rather be doing or rather have in a positive sense, but what you would be willing to endure. Can you take the years of shabby clothes and second-hand furniture/equipment? Or would you rather take the mind-numbing job day in and day out? And no, I'm not saying that all jobs that offer high financial rewards are necessarily mind-numbing or dull...just that any job that you place yourself in that is not what you want to be doing will be mind-numbing and dull.

I personally have a zero threshold of tolerance for the latter option, and I would therefore take the poverty any day rather than be bored. And I don't care how many hobbies or side-things that I can choose to do in my spare time as a result of having more money from a better paying but boring job...the fact is I would always have to face the realization that I spend the majority of my time (short as it is on this Earth) doing exactly what I would not like to be doing.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
If I succeed at what I'm currently doing, I will considered successful by societies standards. But that doesn't include a 9-5 job, I plan to always be self-employed. I had a full-time job for one month, and got fired for calling in sick, and this just motivated me even more never to work for someone else.

The way I see it, I will be able to follow my passions and creative goals (music and film) more so if I become financially secure or wealthy, than in poverty. But I don't view the starving artist lifestyle as a negative thing at all, I might even enjoy it. But I have a natural motivation towards business and entrepreneurship.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I believe that (for myself) it's valid that I need to find something that pays me the bills - actually, I would prefer to find something that gives me complete financial security for a long period of time - which, in turn, will give me full possibility of pursuing my passions. Obviously, what finances me must also be pleasurable, but I personally do not need it to be my passion.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
do you think it is better to follow ambitions which lead to success (by society's definition) and to do what "makes sense", or to follow your passions regardless of the disadvantages your lifestyle may suffer?

if so many people say the same thing, do you think that gives it more credit (ie, maybe they're on to something you dont know?)

This probably depends on the individual. What I've learned about myself is that I (currently) am unable to make any living doing something I love. So instead I've taken a job that will lead to some financial security and hopefully I can spingboard that into something better or else retire early.

Some people are lucky. A person who knows they will enjoy being a doctor and has the capability to do so will have the best of everything (wealth, satisfaction, etc...). On the other hand is a person who knows they will never be able to make a living with their passion; for example a person who absolutely loves golf but isn't good enough to play pro. And then there is also the person who has no idea what their passion is.

So I'd say if you know what your passion is, and you can make even a meager living at it, then consider yourself lucky. Seriously if your passion is teaching then I'd say, "Be a teacher!" At least you can make a living at it. That makes you better off than the golf lover who will never be good enough to make a living.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Passions definitely. Not like I have a choice anyway. I've already burned all my bridges as far as doing anything society expects of me goes.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think you're ignoring the point otherwise

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

I chased after my dreams for a while, but I didn't make any money, so I had to do something else instead.
I'm glad I tried, even though it didn't work out.
I didn't want to live with the regret of never having tried.

Reality is: it's nice to eat and have a roof over your head.
It depends on how much you need in life.
Some people can live on very little.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
What dreams do you guys have/did you chase?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I moved to Nashville TN when I was 19 hoping to be discovered as a singer, songwriter, recording artist.
I lived there two years.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

I am personally following my passion, but the cool thing about it, is that if I make it, I will also be successful from a sociological perspective. I personally want to go to medical school in hopes of being able to run a low income clinic. I can think of nothing else I want to do, it's just a hard long way to get there though. I know that if I do pursue my dream, my life style will suffer for a little bit (10 or so years) but once I am working, I will be more than happy and relaxed.