User Tag List

123 Last

Garbage human

Default Do you prefer micromanagers or delegators

...as bosses/supervisors?
    Last edited by asynartetic; 11-18-2018 at 08:27 AM.
    'When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.'

-Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I prefer delegators. I don't want someone standing over my shoulder and scrutinizing every little thing I do. In my experience, delegators have given me more opportunity to shine. I've advanced farther faster in companies when I've worked under that type of manger as opposed to micromanagers, who I feel are less likely to trust in their underlings' abilities and insights.
    I feel the same way. I'd much rather my boss give me a set of tasks to complete and allow me the autonomy to figure out the best and most efficient methods to complete them.

In my experience, micromanagement ultimately ends up stifling the productivity of the entire group, as eventually everyone stops thinking for themselves (not to mention they lose confidence in their own decision making abilitiy) and sits idly by until the next command is given.
    The order of preference for your cognitive functions appears to be
    Ne > Ti > Te = Ni > Fi > Fe = Se > Si
    Likes asynartetic, Tenebris liked this post

Garbage human

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I feel the same way. I'd much rather my boss give me a set of tasks to complete and allow me the autonomy to figure out the best and most efficient methods to complete them.

In my experience, micromanagement ultimately ends up stifling the productivity of the entire group, as eventually everyone stops thinking for themselves (not to mention they lose confidence in their own decision making abilitiy) and sits idly by until the next command is given.
    Yeah, I agree. Do you think there's any type of professions or fields where the micromanagement style may actually be better?

-Cicero

...as bosses/supervisors? I prefer delegators. I don't want someone standing over my shoulder and scrutinizing every little thing I do. In my experience, delegators have given me more opportunity to shine. I've advanced farther faster in companies when I've worked under that type of manger as opposed to micromanagers, who I feel are less likely to trust in their underlings' abilities and insights. I really miss my old boss, because she told me what needed to be done, then left me to it. My current boss is much more of a micromanager and I get the feeling she doesn't trust me.
    I think good management can be a mix of both, depending upon the team and individual in question, at one time I could have used one sort and at another another sort, I know that much but the sorts of work that I have done I suspect are pretty different to what you may be talking about.

On the other hand I do think that there's a toxic mix of both approaches and a toxic exclusive approach, the toxicity is more to do with the individual than the approach they are taking as a manager, some people are capable of a reverse alchemy and can really and truly transform gold into lead. You know the type. It doesnt matter to them whether performance really is good or not so long as it seems good and others believe its good. I think this approach has been popular in the UK for a long time, its part of the reason why you have politicians who celebrate their successes in office while the high street is full of vacant lots and roads and other infrastructure is crumblings to nothing.

Yeah, I agree. Do you think there's any type of professions or fields where the micromanagement style may actually be better?
    I think it depends on your team, do you have a lot of new starts or experienced personnel, what is the organisational culture and what is its attitude towards new starts or experience per se etc.

I've known organisations that value experience, what I would call "veteran" staff, but I've also known organisations which do not value it at all and would prefer to eradicate experience as it may involve people who are reticent to sacrifice health, life, happiness and proper remuneration because there are real under resourcing issues or an organisation is top heavy etc.

Garbage human

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think good management can be a mix of both, depending upon the team and individual in question, at one time I could have used one sort and at another another sort, I know that much but the sorts of work that I have done I suspect are pretty different to what you may be talking about.

On the other hand I do think that there's a toxic mix of both approaches and a toxic exclusive approach, the toxicity is more to do with the individual than the approach they are taking as a manager, some people are capable of a reverse alchemy and can really and truly transform gold into lead. You know the type. It doesnt matter to them whether performance really is good or not so long as it seems good and others believe its good. I think this approach has been popular in the UK for a long time, its part of the reason why you have politicians who celebrate their successes in office while the high street is full of vacant lots and roads and other infrastructure is crumblings to nothing.
    kinda sounds like Trump and a lot of American politicians, tbh.

-Cicero

Garbage human

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think it depends on your team, do you have a lot of new starts or experienced personnel, what is the organisational culture and what is its attitude towards new starts or experience per se etc.

I've known organisations that value experience, what I would call "veteran" staff, but I've also known organisations which do not value it at all and would prefer to eradicate experience as it may involve people who are reticent to sacrifice health, life, happiness and proper remuneration because there are real under resourcing issues or an organisation is top heavy etc.
    In my department it's mostly experienced people, not many new starts. I mean, my boss is essentially middle management and has to answer to multiple upper management people, which puts a lot of pressure on her, so I can understand why she takes a more hands on approach, I just find it actually hinders more than it helps my performance. Maybe some workers actually prefer being managed that way though.

-Cicero

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram

I give my underlings the ability to assert their personality and have the freedom to make choices that align with our goals.
    I don't like them coming back to me for every little thing either. It should be an opportunity for them to grow, develop their skills, and follow the lead they see fit, and I have complete trust in my executives.
    الخَيلُ وَاللَيلُ وَالبَيداءُ تَعرِفُني *** وَالسَيفُ وَالرُمحُ وَالقِرطاسُ وَالقَلَمُ
    Swift steeds, dreary nights, and the desolate wasteland, all know me full well
    As do the sword, the spear, the paper and the pen.

My immediate thought to somewhere where micromanagement would be the preferred management style for optimal efficiency might be the manufacturing industry, at the warehouse level where ingenuity and individuality aren't really relevant to the tasks at hand.

Overall, I think it comes down to personalities moreso than anything else; some people actually prefer and thrive under micromanagement. After becoming a manager, I've realized that some people require that constant direction -- While I roll my eyes at some of the questions I get where I think to myself the answer seems so obvious that it agitates me someone wasted the time to come ask me as opposed to just handling it themselves, some people truly don't know how to operate outside of that "worker bee" mentality.
    The order of preference for your cognitive functions appears to be
    Ne > Ti > Te = Ni > Fi > Fe = Se > Si
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    My immediate thought to somewhere where micromanagement would be the preferred management style for optimal efficiency might be the manufacturing industry, at the warehouse level where ingenuity and individuality aren't really relevant to the tasks at hand.

Overall, I think it comes down to personalities moreso than anything else; some people actually prefer and thrive under micromanagement. After becoming a manager, I've realized that some people require that constant direction -- While I roll my eyes at some of the questions I get where I think to myself the answer seems so obvious that it agitates me someone wasted the time to come ask me as opposed to just handling it themselves, some people truly don't know how to operate outside of that "worker bee" mentality.
    This is true. Same as some need that office environment/camaraderie/part of a team mentality too - working remotely isn't an attractive option. I manage 7, fairly competent people able to work individually. They know our goals as a group and the tasks that need to be completed to achieve those goals. Beyond that, I'm here to answer questions, give guidance when needed and handle my administrative work and letting them do their job.

I agree that it's personality more than anything but I have met a couple people that really thrive and prefer micromanagement - they don't feel comfortable with or grasp acting pro-actively. I have a feeling at least some of that preference came from being smacked down every time they tried thinking and acting on their own in the workplace. I know people that are terrified to make a decision on their own at work, it's sad but it's also indicative of the world we live in.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Stigmata, Totenkindly liked this post