User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

i want to be left the fuck alone if i know what i am doing...
    " 'Cause life's a game, life's a joke
    Fuck it, why not go for broke?
    Trade in all your chips and learn how to be free
    Why abstain? Why jump in line?
    We're all living on borrowed time
    So do what you like
    And we'll like what you do when you do it
    And if they don't that's fine
    Fuck 'em!"

In the past, I hired and 'rehabbed' talent who were thought to be too independent by others. The word rehabbed is in quotation marks since it only entailed the appreciation of their independence and allowing them to reach a clearly defined end goal with all the tools necessary to accomplish. Give me one independent over two line staff, since you can rely on the independent's laziness to work smart.

Vive l'indépendance!
    Likes Stigmata liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    In the past, I hired and 'rehabbed' talent who were thought to be too independent by others. The word rehabbed is in quotation marks since it only entailed the appreciation of their independence and allowing them to reach a clearly defined end goal with all the tools necessary to accomplish. Give me one independent over two line staff, since you can rely on the independent's laziness to work smart.

Vive l'indépendance!
    The OP is asking members whether they prefer micromanagers or delegators for a boss, not if they themselves prefer to micromanage or delegate others. Remember to read what has actually been written before rushing in with an opinion.
    Click here for my 2500+ Enneagram Type List to type yourself and others with. It's the only valid breakdown for every enneagram type, wing and stack.

Click here for the only valid visual typing model of stackings on earth and socionics.
    Click here for enneagram type descriptions as a supplement to the only valid breakdown for every type, wing and stack.
    Click here for my typings of 100+ fictional exemplars and here for my typings of 90+ typology central members.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I prefer micromanaging when it's a task I have no experience in.

Particularly at my current job (veterinary practice nurse) as the theory you learn at college is little preparation for the actual job itself & you can't exactly chance it with your own judgement because of the severity of the consequences. However after a certain point I desire autonomy so I can get on with the jobs I know.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Lark liked this post

Pansexual Primadonna ThoughtBubbles's Avatar
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

I don't think that anyone who prefers a micromanager will admit to it under those terms...

I think lots of people are in denial about being followers, being passive, or liking a lack of control in their work lol. However, I think most people prefer being followers and there's nothing inherently wrong with that being your natural inclination at work.
    Likes Lark liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    I prefer micromanaging when it's a task I have no experience in.

Particularly at my current job (veterinary practice nurse) as the theory you learn at college is little preparation for the actual job itself & you can't exactly chance it with your own judgement because of the severity of the consequences. However after a certain point I desire autonomy so I can get on with the jobs I know.
    That's exactly what I think of as better management (would not qualify it as good management yet) and in management literature that I've read its usually referred to as a "dynamic" management style as opposed to "proactive" (does the job for you) or "laissez faire" (spelling, does not intervene).

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb1 View Post
    The OP is asking members whether they prefer micromanagers or delegators for a boss, not if they themselves prefer to micromanage or delegate others. Remember to read what has actually been written before rushing in with an opinion.
    It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that my preference is for delegators.

Garbage human

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtBubbles View Post
    I don't think that anyone who prefers a micromanager will admit to it under those terms...

I think lots of people are in denial about being followers, being passive, or liking a lack of control in their work lol. However, I think most people prefer being followers and there's nothing inherently wrong with that being your natural inclination at work.
    I just admitted the terms and reasons for which I prefer one style over another. There was no intention to portray those who prefer the other style in a negative manner
    'When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.'

-Cicero

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

You're missing the 3rd type of manager: the oblivious, clueless guy who doesn't bother to check on the employees to make sure they're working and doing their tasks correctly. This type is equally as bad as the micromanager because he lets your co-workers get away with wasting time, surfing on the net, talking on the phone, and goofing off.

The ideal manager is someone who knows his staff and knows what they can handle and delegates when needed and closely watches them when needed.
    Evidently, the cold virus attacked my sense my humor yesterday. It's back but at half-strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    You're missing the 3rd type of manager: the oblivious, clueless guy who doesn't bother to check on the employees to make sure they're working and doing their tasks correctly. This type is equally as bad as the micromanager because he lets your co-workers get away with wasting time, surfing on the net, talking on the phone, and goofing off.

The ideal manager is someone who knows his staff and knows what they can handle and delegates when needed and closely watches them when needed.
    Dynamic manager type.

That's the opposite of the type of management libertarianism usually wants to promote.