• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFPs and the dreaded networking

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So... I hate the word networking. I hate small talk, I hate people, I hate social events in general, and I certainly can't stand anybody that's phony just because they're ambitious and they want to use other people as a stepping stone to a better career.

Also, I was raised in a closed religious community where any type of ambition and education was looked down upon, so I've got that going against me in terms of my general mindset and overcoming it.

I am pursuing my BS and am currently learning about the importance of both volunteer work and networking in terms of eventual desired career outcome. And I suppose it's inevitable that I have to actually get out into the world with the intent and purpose of gaining experience and making professional connections. Ugh.

I guess I just want to know if "networking" is even possible for INFPs and if so, what does it look like? Can one create professional connections in an authentic way that doesn't make you want to throw yourself off a roof? Are there any INFP's involved in business or successful in business, and how does one stay true to one's self and authentic in general while also making the necessary good resume building decisions that one must make?

Also I'm curious if there are other types similar to INFP that tend to feel this way in general about "networking" and building social connections with a professional purpose in mind and how it's completely awful?

Your first paragraph sums my feelings up perfectly. With the exception that I don’t necessarily hate people, but I detest phonies and groveling. It’s definitely impeded me at times, but I’d rather face some roadblocks than sell my soul while exchanging crocodile smiles. It all reminds me of campaigns and politicians or CEO’s. *Shudders and washes hands thoroughly* It also depends on why you’re networking. In your case, it’s obviously not to win social media popularity contests, it’s business based. So I’d treat it as such. Be businesslike. I suppose it’s difficult at first to do that because it’s more like a service than anything and that means you need something to offer in return for their cooperation. Starting to feel the need to wash my hands again. Buy lots of hand sanitizer.

I’m glad I don’t have to engage in much of this nonsense. I’m far too honest (rude?) to pretend I like people I don’t like. My dislike for someone just pours out of my subconscious when I attempt to conceal it. Micro expressions or a barely perceptible tone of disdain, those sorts of things just emerge. If I don’t keep a stone face going my filter can be nonexistent at times.

The pursuit of business and being genuine seem to part ways the higher an individual climbs or the bigger a company becomes. It’s the nature of it. The further into the machine you venture, the more you become the machine. Good luck.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been to 'networking events.' None of which led anywhere or put me in the network of anyone I had any interest in knowing. Just creepy old dudes.

@Population: 1 pretty much summed up my sentiments. It's a waste of time, gas and makeup imho.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ew. Networking.

Anyway, I don't know what you're going to be working as, but people probably recognize that business connections are well, business connections.
It's not often that it goes any deeper than it. You don't have to fake-friendly or anything like that, just stick to utility and maintain a degree of professionalism.
After a while, people won't be looking at whether your face is smiling or not if you have a good established background, skillset, etc.

Admittedly, knowing many people helps, but if makes you want to throw yourself off a cliff you don't have to overdo it (it's easy to, what with everyone putting so much stress / importance on it now). Go for what you need, keep what you already have. And, keep in mind the person you're talking to is also looking at you from a utility standpoint; it's a fair exchange.

So... I hate the word networking. I hate small talk, I hate people, I hate social events in general, and I certainly can't stand anybody that's phony just because they're ambitious and they want to use other people as a stepping stone to a better career.

If it makes you feel better (?) everyone is doing it anyway.
A lot of phoniness (legit phoniness, not just people being inauthentic) go into the making / running of a business.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
*Enters with Networking merch, and wearing an I :heart: networking foam finger... takes a look around, checks day planner, checks Marriott conference room number.*

Well, guess it's time for me to be hitting the old dusty trail...

:backout:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
*Enters with Networking merch, and wearing an I :heart: networking foam finger... takes a look around, checks day planner, checks Marriott conference room number.*

Well, guess it's time for me to be hitting the old dusty trail...

:backout:

I didn't even know people like you existed! I just assume everyone hates networking and just sees it as an unfortunate necessity.

The Cat

Staff member
I didn't even know people like you existed! I just assume everyone hates networking and just sees it as an unfortunate necessity.

Networking makes the world go 'round, and it can be quite enjoyable. It doesn't have to be rank toadyism or backstabbery and skullduggery; it can be quite rewarding. Building teams and bridges. But I'm probably not the target audience...

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Networking makes the world go 'round, and it can be quite enjoyable. It doesn't have to be rank toadyism or backstabbery and skullduggery; it can be quite rewarding. Building teams and bridges. But I'm probably not the target audience...

Yeah, I guess I could see why extroverts could like it. I think introverts just get miffed that it is such a necessity. It plays more to extrovert strengths than introvert ones.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What kind of networking are we talking about?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While it's highly unlikely I'm an INFP, I can relate enough to the comments in this thread, and also have a few good friends who are really really good networkers (to contrast with myself, ha), to believe/say that I don't think there's much purpose in your trying to 'network' if you're uncomfortable about it and there's no way for you to find a more natural, personalized way of doing it where you're 'ok' doing it. Any discomfort or forced element of it will be apparent I think, ie people can tell when someone is not comfortable or not enjoying themselves....which 100% defeats the purpose which is to meet people who you might have stuff in common with or who might be good people to know professionally to give you tips, advice, etc, and who if they like you could eventually give you a job. I mean that's the whole point of it, though obviously there are a lot of b.s.'ers out there.

mgbradsh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I am terrible at Networking. I don’t have a LinkedIn, I absolutely refuse to friend co-workers on Facebook and I am extremely bad at maintaining friendships when I’m not in regular contact with someone - all which seem like effective skills to have if you want to attain higher levels of success in life.

I don’t think it’s necessarily needed though. I think there are some peopl (a lot, maybe even most) that get ahead more by networking than skill. It’s the foundation of the “Old Boys Club.” However, people with knowledge and skill in their field still do really well. It’s more difficult and a lot more frustrating, but you’ll get there in the long run.

I’ve kind of learned to play to my strengths. I could go to a Networking event, talk to one person that I already knew and waste a whole night, or get some work done that will get me ahead in other ways.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Interesting.
Could it be said that because Introverts generally dislike socializing, the only reason to socialize they see in a business setting, would be for, well, business, and nothing more? As opposed to extroverts who can still gain an energy boost or some sort of fulfillment, 'real' friends / connections etc from it.

I do know that several of my friends, especially the E-FPs are very much able to make 'friends' with people they have just met. A real big one that comes to mind is an ESFP, who worked with me in the marketing section of a company. He does have a genuine focus / actual degree of connection when doing so, and was the first to welcome me. Guess what he did, show me the ropes? No. Introduced me to every one cast member and offered to help me make friends. Despite this, he does maintain his connections professional.

I would like to hear it from an extrovert, if you wouldn't mind (others, extroverted or not, are welcome to pitch in as well);

1. How do you feel about workplace relationships? What do you go after / focus on?
  2. What do you think / feel when you have to network? What makes it easy / what makes you like it, and what are parts you dislike / make it hard?
  3. How do you network best, and how do you maintain your networks?
  4. Do you think Introverts are bad at networking? Should they get better at it? If yes, how/why?

Thank you in advance, for any replies.

EDIT: Oh boy this is probably worthy of its own thread.
If a mod / the OP wants to move it (though I think the responses could help OP too) I wouldn't mind.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Not INFP -- but I really hate the whole concept of networking, even when intellectually I feel like there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. That said, sometimes there are good, honest people who are just doing it because they have to. But then again, sometimes there are those I-inherited-my-family's-business-and-I'm-super-rich guys/girls that I just can't stand.

My INFP SO probably hates it even more than I do.

The Cat

Staff member
Interesting.
Could it be said that because Introverts generally dislike socializing, the only reason to socialize they see in a business setting, would be for, well, business, and nothing more? As opposed to extroverts who can still gain an energy boost or some sort of fulfillment, 'real' friends / connections etc from it.

I do know that several of my friends, especially the E-FPs are very much able to make 'friends' with people they have just met. A real big one that comes to mind is an ESFP, who worked with me in the marketing section of a company. He does have a genuine focus / actual degree of connection when doing so, and was the first to welcome me. Guess what he did, show me the ropes? No. Introduced me to every one cast member and offered to help me make friends. Despite this, he does maintain his connections professional.

I would like to hear it from an extrovert, if you wouldn't mind (others, extroverted or not, are welcome to pitch in as well);

1. How do you feel about workplace relationships? What do you go after / focus on?
  2. What do you think / feel when you have to network? What makes it easy / what makes you like it, and what are parts you dislike / make it hard?
  3. How do you network best, and how do you maintain your networks?
  4. Do you think Introverts are bad at networking? Should they get better at it? If yes, how/why?

Thank you in advance, for any replies.

EDIT: Oh boy this is probably worthy of its own thread.
If a mod / the OP wants to move it (though I think the responses could help OP too) I wouldn't mind.

Work place relationships first and foremost are workplace relationships. I try to keep a certain degree of professionalism. What I go after? Mostly I go after fostering relationships where I see potential. As I see it its in my/the companies best interest if my team mates are successful in their endeavors on the job and I'll do what I can to assist with that (within reason of course) As time goes on sometimes those relationships dvelop past the work place. Successful connections are better than unsuccessful ones, so as I see it, it's in my best interest that whatever department I'm in, flourish, so I'll do what I can to foster that growth within the bounds of professionalism. (as much as is practical/possible)

1. What do you think / feel when you have to network? What makes it easy / what makes you like it, and what are parts you dislike / make it hard?
To be hoest I spend the first few days pretty quiet, unless directly engaged or I have a question. I want to observe and understand the current of the work place. I watch and listen as I work, figure out the social lay of the land, which supervisors want to get the job done, whcih ones are just failing upwards on the success of the people under them, and which other employees are gossips, which ones arent, whos there to milk the clock vs who's there to work; I focus on my job and start finding ways that I can assist others in weaker areas for them, which might be strong for me, and vice versa. I make it a point to volunteer for the jobs I KNOW no one else wants. I'm self directed, and I hate just standing around on the clock, so I'm always doing something job related at work. This ethic works great with employers and employees who show up for their job ready to work and kick ass, and who want the machine running as smooth as possible. It can make a few smiling enemies of folk who think you make them look bad, and some of those folks will be your supervisors (which sucks), but unfortunately thems the bricks, you can either move on, or hope they do. But you're probably not going to be able to network properly with them, unless you can be a convincing enough fake failure to put their minds at ease, but the next work day is gonna throw that illusion out the window cause shit needs doing and I aint got time to make a failure look like a success if they're not going to help me help them. (ie I will dress a pig in a tuxedo, but I cant stop it from going to the mud) There's always someone in the chain of command who is gonna feel threatened by a hard worker and a smooth running team. (Ime at least)

1. How do you network best, and how do you maintain your networks?
Availibility to lend a helping hand, a keen observation for what needs doing, a professionally mercenary mindset, keeping a good sense of humor and humility, and respecting confidences whenever possible. Basically I endeavor to simply be one hell of a butler. As for maintaining. That entirely depends. Some require a close constant engaeing. Regualr calls, holiday cards, phone calls/ texts. Others are much more free range and are served better by letting distance foster between them then every six months to a year, you check in with a phone call, maybe set up a mini hang for drinks or whatever their interests might be. I find one of the most rewarding aspects of networking comes from the myriad new activities I get to learn about and engage in I wouldnt have otherwise gotten to enjoy: For example I play golf. TERRIBLY I am hopeless at it. Not the worst I've ever seen. But I ant gonna come close to beating most folks. Now I make no secrets I'm not good at it. And most folks who play with me, end up having as much fun watching me goof off on the green (I know how to lose amusingly)But they know when we talley score cards, they're gonna get mine back, and see I've been playing hang man or whatever my favorite was birdie watching. (Saw several eagles, :doh: ) Really it comes down to the people you're trying to network with. For me it's not so much about what you can and cant do well (apart from what you were hired for) its about having the kind of attitude that wants to experience things outside of your comfort. So long as it doesn't interfere with me clocking in and out on time. Or letting to many of my other responsibilities fall apart. I will network till the cows come home. But as to how. It really depends on said network what works with one wont necessarily work with another. There's a bit of uncertainty to it at times. Just don't think about it too much and just sort of dance in step to the music.

1. Do you think Introverts are bad at networking? Should they get better at it? If yes, how/why?
Not in the least. I think many introverts believe theyre bad at it. and arguably what you believe informs your reality, but no I dont think anyone is inherently bad at it without choosing to be on some level for whatever reason (there are plenty of extroverts who are terrible at it, and many introverts who are true masters.) As to should those who arent good at it get better? Well if you want to. From what I've seen a lot of the objections come from it feels fake, if it feels fake and you try to "act the part" well you're just acting fake, because of your own inner feeling of it. If you can find a way to make it genuine for yourself (and it 100% can be) then a lot of the fake phoniness drains out like a bucket with a hole in the bottom.

And remember folks there is a difference between networking and nepotism networking and toadyism, networking and skullduggery, and networking and being fake. Not everyone who engages in the activity knows this it seems and I think that's why there's largely a big stigma with networking imo.

Did this answer your questions?