First 12

Give me a fourth dot. The Tsarevich's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    478 sx/sp
    Socionics
    :-( None

Well assuming that the dollar is still the world's reserve currency and hasn't crashed; that the USA is still in tact as an entity; climate change hasn't led to massive strife, hunger, and depopulation; the global economy is still functional; and that all has otherwise gone according to plan financially and careerwise...you could do what many of my colleagues currently do in Asia--teach English in foreign lands to stretch your retirement. You get to travel and work AND be retired all at the same time.
    Likes highlander, Avocado liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
    In 40 years, I will be 62 years old with a well-funded retirement and plenty of assets. I’ll probably not have any children, and would like some part-time creative type career so I’m only semi-retired. I’ve had lots of ideas about what I’ll do 40 years from now, but acting seems interesting, counseling private practice sounds alright, and being an adjunct professor teaching a couple freshman classes a week at a university sounds nice. What are good part-time jobs for 60-somethings that are low stress and will keep me busy without upsetting me? Money is completely irrelevant.
    I have wondered what I will do after I retire. It's a good question. You're a bit young to be trying to figure that out now though. It's hard to know what will happen that far from now. I'd say if there is something you want to do, you could do it sooner rather than later.

You might want to do what you're doing later in your career but just do it part time. You should know that being an adjunct professor pays shit. It might be the kind of thing you could do that would be very rewarding if you didn't need money and don't mind volunteering your time. Counseling also sounds fun but you'd have to drum up business somehow and if you don't have any experience - it might take a bit of effort. I believe there is a fair amount of ageism that kicks in in certain careers after you hit a certain age as well. I know a software engineer for example that is in his 50s and he can't get a job. You would think with all his experience in software development that he'd be highly employable but he's not because of his age. I know a guy who retired early from his job selling lawn products and started a dog kennel/grooming business with his wife. It sounds horrendously stressful - dogs biting you, all that noise, the stress of putting all your capital into a new business and trying to make a go of it, etc.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes Avocado liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
    In 40 years, I will be 62 years old with a well-funded retirement and plenty of assets. I’ll probably not have any children, and would like some part-time creative type career so I’m only semi-retired. I’ve had lots of ideas about what I’ll do 40 years from now, but acting seems interesting, counseling private practice sounds alright, and being an adjunct professor teaching a couple freshman classes a week at a university sounds nice. What are good part-time jobs for 60-somethings that are low stress and will keep me busy without upsetting me? Money is completely irrelevant.
    1) You have no idea where you're going to be in 40 years.
    2) We don't know where the economy will be or what it will look like 40 years from now.
    3) If I have to work somewhere when I'm 62 and I'm not doing what I do now, I would bag groceries for Publix in the morning shift. Easy, stressless job
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson
    Likes Metis, Avocado liked this post