• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2nd career 40 years from now

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In 40 years, I will be 62 years old with a well-funded retirement and plenty of assets. I’ll probably not have any children, and would like some part-time creative type career so I’m only semi-retired. I’ve had lots of ideas about what I’ll do 40 years from now, but acting seems interesting, counseling private practice sounds alright, and being an adjunct professor teaching a couple freshman classes a week at a university sounds nice. What are good part-time jobs for 60-somethings that are low stress and will keep me busy without upsetting me? Money is completely irrelevant.

Lark

In 40 years, I will be 62 years old with a well-funded retirement and plenty of assets. I’ll probably not have any children, and would like some part-time creative type career so I’m only semi-retired. I’ve had lots of ideas about what I’ll do 40 years from now, but acting seems interesting, counseling private practice sounds alright, and being an adjunct professor teaching a couple freshman classes a week at a university sounds nice. What are good part-time jobs for 60-somethings that are low stress and will keep me busy without upsetting me? Money is completely irrelevant.

Sounds like a great future or be contemplating, I couldnt imagine having that amount of wealth at that point or ever considering a career move in which money would be completely irrelevant. That is good news for you. Good luck whatever you choose.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds like a great future or be contemplating, I couldnt imagine having that amount of wealth at that point or ever considering a career move in which money would be completely irrelevant. That is good news for you. Good luck whatever you choose.

I’ve been carefully preparing for the future several years now, and my cautious planning is paying off. I’ve made it into a position where I not only have a lot saved, but will have a 60k pension starting at age 62 plus whatever extra money I earn from my investments, which total 3,600 a year with a growth rate averaging around 7% per year, give or take a few percent since markets can be fickle and I’m projecting decades into the future. I also have a plan that, if it doesn’t make me practically immortal, will create a practically immortal copy of myself to continue my plans well into the future, because first and foremost, I plan for the long term and am quite patient.

I suppose my only achilles heel is my food addiction, which may kill me prematurely.

EDIT: The defined benefit plan I’m locked into will track inflation the next 40 years, so that 60k in todays money will be 165k in 2059 money, though after 2059, the benefit will no longer track inflation. All in all, I expect to bring home 165k a year from my pension till I die and 40k a year from my savings from ages 62 to 85.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
“I also have a plan that, if it doesn’t make me practically immortal, will create a practically immortal copy of myself to continue my plans well into the future, because first and foremost, I plan for the long term and am quite patient.”

Just curious about this sentence. What does it mean? Feel free to reply or not- your choice

Lark

I’ve been carefully preparing for the future several years now, and my cautious planning is paying off. I’ve made it into a position where I not only have a lot saved, but will have a 60k pension starting at age 62 plus whatever extra money I earn from my investments, which total 3,600 a year with a growth rate averaging around 7% per year, give or take a few percent since markets can be fickle and I’m projecting decades into the future. I also have a plan that, if it doesn’t make me practically immortal, will create a practically immortal copy of myself to continue my plans well into the future, because first and foremost, I plan for the long term and am quite patient.

I suppose my only achilles heel is my food addiction, which may kill me prematurely.

EDIT: The defined benefit plan I’m locked into will track inflation the next 40 years, so that 60k in todays money will be 165k in 2059 money, though after 2059, the benefit will no longer track inflation. All in all, I expect to bring home 165k a year from my pension till I die and 40k a year from my savings from ages 62 to 85.

Sounds like a good pension plan, its good to have something which could allow you to afford early retirement.

I have a lot of plans in place but nothing on that scale or of that scope, I also dont own a house or other assets as yet which I would see as important. Did you factor expenses into your plan such as renewal of car ownership or maintenance expenses of a property? Those are big things even before you consider all the possible crisis which can occur in that time of a more personal nature, as they say the best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry.

Forward planning, particularly over the longer term, is a great thing, its something I wish I'd possessed a proper insight into a long, long time ago, like when I was in my teens or twenties. Although I think it is something which this generation is more uniquely in possession of than others, what with new emphasis upon time and life logging and what not, there's greater awareness of trade offs in terms of time versus gains than ever, or so it seems to me.

Lots of things which used to constitute obstacles or barriers of ones own making, such as different kinds of self-impeding prejudices, seem to have disappeared and fallen by the wayside, I'm not sure as yet whether that will be a net gain or set back for civilisation as it could simply be that the same thinking of the very rich is now shared by everyone, including the potentially very poor, and any kind of middle ground has just vanished.

Lark

“I also have a plan that, if it doesn’t make me practically immortal, will create a practically immortal copy of myself to continue my plans well into the future, because first and foremost, I plan for the long term and am quite patient.”

Just curious about this sentence. What does it mean? Feel free to reply or not- your choice

I'm guessing that this is some sort of singularity style thinking, if its not then its perhaps some sort of metaphor for a legacy, I'm not 100% though.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds like a good pension plan, its good to have something which could allow you to afford early retirement.

I have a lot of plans in place but nothing on that scale or of that scope, I also dont own a house or other assets as yet which I would see as important. Did you factor expenses into your plan such as renewal of car ownership or maintenance expenses of a property? Those are big things even before you consider all the possible crisis which can occur in that time of a more personal nature, as they say the best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry.

Forward planning, particularly over the longer term, is a great thing, its something I wish I'd possessed a proper insight into a long, long time ago, like when I was in my teens or twenties. Although I think it is something which this generation is more uniquely in possession of than others, what with new emphasis upon time and life logging and what not, there's greater awareness of trade offs in terms of time versus gains than ever, or so it seems to me.

Lots of things which used to constitute obstacles or barriers of ones own making, such as different kinds of self-impeding prejudices, seem to have disappeared and fallen by the wayside, I'm not sure as yet whether that will be a net gain or set back for civilisation as it could simply be that the same thinking of the very rich is now shared by everyone, including the potentially very poor, and any kind of middle ground has just vanished.

I bought a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath property and reliable make of car to minimize those costs, but no, those are not factored in to what I said. I’m also holding most of the rest of the payout I got from my stroke of fortune in a high interest CD so it survives inflation till I need it, which will be after I retire. Given how much bad luck I’ve had till recently, a lot of this feels unreal...assuming no massive tragedy sweeps me under the riptide, I have exactly what I need to live a middle-class dignified life—and that’s playing the game cautiously.

Yes, the other thing is singularity type thinking, in a nutshell.

On a related note, I spilled a little gas in the car I was planning on keeping the next 20 years. I almost cried. Its a Toyota, which I bought due to their reputation for reliability.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How about a part time bartender at a tropical resort.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well assuming that the dollar is still the world's reserve currency and hasn't crashed; that the USA is still in tact as an entity; climate change hasn't led to massive strife, hunger, and depopulation; the global economy is still functional; and that all has otherwise gone according to plan financially and careerwise...you could do what many of my colleagues currently do in Asia--teach English in foreign lands to stretch your retirement. You get to travel and work AND be retired all at the same time.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I have wondered what I will do after I retire. It's a good question. You're a bit young to be trying to figure that out now though. It's hard to know what will happen that far from now. I'd say if there is something you want to do, you could do it sooner rather than later.

You might want to do what you're doing later in your career but just do it part time. You should know that being an adjunct professor pays shit. It might be the kind of thing you could do that would be very rewarding if you didn't need money and don't mind volunteering your time. Counseling also sounds fun but you'd have to drum up business somehow and if you don't have any experience - it might take a bit of effort. I believe there is a fair amount of ageism that kicks in in certain careers after you hit a certain age as well. I know a software engineer for example that is in his 50s and he can't get a job. You would think with all his experience in software development that he'd be highly employable but he's not because of his age. I know a guy who retired early from his job selling lawn products and started a dog kennel/grooming business with his wife. It sounds horrendously stressful - dogs biting you, all that noise, the stress of putting all your capital into a new business and trying to make a go of it, etc.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

1) You have no idea where you're going to be in 40 years.
2) We don't know where the economy will be or what it will look like 40 years from now.
3) If I have to work somewhere when I'm 62 and I'm not doing what I do now, I would bag groceries for Publix in the morning shift. Easy, stressless job