• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Paper Writing Process

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If you are in college or were in college at some point, what is/was your process for writing academic papers? How did you organize your information and approach the project? I am just curious if different types approach it in different ways.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would start by unloading a whole lot of stream-of-conscious tangents on to the screen, often moving around the text in the process (e.g. backing up to add an explanation before a previous tangent, skipping ahead to put a tangent, etc). After a while I hit a wall of trying to work on it on a computer, so I'd print it out and continue to do the same thing on paper (make notes in margin, move big chunks around with arrows or write out paragraphs with a note where to insert). Then I bring the handwritten notes back to the computer and type in the changes, which often turns into doing more of the same at the computer again. I do this back and forth until it feels finished.

I had to finish a thesis last year (50+ pages) and it's the first time I actually needed note cards. I started in the usual way of writing out a bunch of tangents. But then I had to summarize tangents/big chunks of text on the notecards, and then use the notecards to organize a sort of skeletal frame. I don't think I would have been able to organize all the tangents in a paper that big in my usual way (without the note cards, just repeatedly reading though it and tweaking until it effectively flowed). I usually don't find them helpful though.

(I'm INFJ).

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a last-minute writer ... I keep telling myself that I'm going to fix this bad habit since I can't write a whole dissertation at the last minute ... but let's just say I'm not there yet.

So let's talk about what I do rather than what I should be doing. I basically read and do research while waiting for inspiration to strike and take notes of anything that looks promising. Then, without consulting those notes (I would get bogged down in the weeds if I did), I make a list of evidence that interests me about the topic (sources, quotations that jumped out at me, etc.) from memory. Once the list has grown to the critical mass of evidence I need for a paper, I get to outlining. I think about what I want to argue and then structure my evidence list in a way that makes sense in terms of continuity of ideas and argumentation.

Once that's done, I stare at the screen of MS Word while turning over phrases in my mind. Basically, it is very hard for me to start writing for real until I craft the perfect sentence to start with. Once I do, the whole paper pretty much pours out of me since I have my outline. I periodically stop to refer to notes to make sure I'm quoting my evidence correctly and not leaving anything out. My energy peters out by the time I get to the end so my conclusions are pretty half-assed: "Here's what I think, here's a brief summary of what I said in the paper to support why I think that, ok, the end."

Then if I have time, I take a short break to read it over to see if it makes sense structurally, move a couple paragraphs around if I need to and work on continuity issues from section to section as long as I have patience. Once that runs dry, I give up in disgust and submit it so I don't have to think about it anymore.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are in college or were in college at some point, what is/was your process for writing academic papers? How did you organize your information and approach the project? I am just curious if different types approach it in different ways.
The hardest step for me in writing papers was selecting a topic. It had to be interesting enough to hold my attention for the duration of the writing, narrow enough in scope to be manageable, a topic where I felt there was some worthwhile point to be made or conclusion to be drawn, and of course, had to fit the requirements of the course. The narrower those were, the easier to find a topic. I would often spend perhaps a quarter of the entire time I had on this step, because if I didn't make a good choice, the whole process went downhill from there and I could easily be left starting from scratch with only a quarter of the time left.

Once I had a general topic, I did my background reading and research, to collect all the details necessary. It was during this step that I refined the exact approach I would take in my paper: what was the point I was trying make, the conclusions I wanted to draw, the thesis statement I wanted to support? A general outline would start to form out of the gathered information almost unbidden. I would then start to steer the research more pointedly, to fill in any gaps and answer remaining questions.

In terms of mechanics, for short or highly focused papers (e.g. literary analysis of a specific story), I took my notes on paper and that was easy enough to work with when the actual writing part came. Even for longer papers, though, like my undergraduate thesis, I could never get into the notecard method. I still took notes on papers, using underlining, highlighters, and marginal notes to categorize information for easy retrieval. Only rarely did I ever take notes directly on the computer. (Now, though, in the technical papers and reports I write, my "notes" are already on the computer, in the form of experimental data, and papers - usually brief - in electronic format.)

The most important part of the writing process for me has always been making a good outline. I make this in my actual document, so when it is complete, I can just go back and flesh it out with sentences and paragraphs. The outline is driven by the structure of my ideas, not pages or paragraphs. I start with the introduction, and include in it all the points I want to make there. Then I go section by section, again listing broadly which points go where, and in which order. Finally I outline the conclusions, which for me is never simply a restatement of the introduction or top level summary. Yes, I do go back to the main point stated in the intro and sum up the final conclusions, but usually also go beyond this somehow, perhaps elaborating on its importance, or questions necessarily left unanswered.

I cannot overemphasize the importance of this outline step. Even when writing essay questions on exams, I found outlining to be time well spent. In fact, I almost cannot start writing until the outline is completely finished. I cannot begin until I can see my way clear to the end. Otherwise, I can end up going around in circles and never get where I want to go. Once this is clear, I can start writing, and the writing itself comes out in nearly final form. Then I deal with any mechanics like references, bibliography, etc. Finally I revisit the text for a final spelling and grammar check, at which point I may change a few words here or there, or add an example I overlooked on first writing, but I am essentially done.

I suppose I should add that this method has always produced good results, both in terms of grades, and my personal satisfaction with the work.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Sit down and write it all at once. Dont proofread because Im secretly a perfectionist who ISNT secretly way too hard on myself. Means Id be there for hours. And the end product might actually not be much better, or could even be worse.

Print it off. And done

I’d have a rough outline. Then I’d procrastinate profusely. I’d wait until the night before the paper was due and then spend all night and deep into the morning writing it and then I’d pass it in. Then I’d struggle to not fall asleep during class. Repeat. I considered them absolute crap and yet the professors usually liked them.

Oh and kids, if your girlfriend is an art major DO NOT take her up on the offer to write your intro to fine arts paper because you’re already overwhelmed doing political and psychology papers. She’ll do an outstanding job, so outstanding in fact that the professor loves your eye for art so much she wants you to critique a bunch of classic works for the class. :doh:

Permabanned
The hardest step for me in writing papers was selecting a topic. It had to be interesting enough to hold my attention for the duration of the writing, narrow enough in scope to be manageable, a topic where I felt there was some worthwhile point to be made or conclusion to be drawn, and of course, had to fit the requirements of the course. The narrower those were, the easier to find a topic. I would often spend perhaps a quarter of the entire time I had on this step, because if I didn't make a good choice, the whole process went downhill from there and I could easily be left starting from scratch with only a quarter of the time left.

Once I had a general topic, I did my background reading and research, to collect all the details necessary. It was during this step that I refined the exact approach I would take in my paper: what was the point I was trying make, the conclusions I wanted to draw, the thesis statement I wanted to support? A general outline would start to form out of the gathered information almost unbidden. I would then start to steer the research more pointedly, to fill in any gaps and answer remaining questions.

In terms of mechanics, for short or highly focused papers (e.g. literary analysis of a specific story), I took my notes on paper and that was easy enough to work with when the actual writing part came. Even for longer papers, though, like my undergraduate thesis, I could never get into the notecard method. I still took notes on papers, using underlining, highlighters, and marginal notes to categorize information for easy retrieval. Only rarely did I ever take notes directly on the computer. (Now, though, in the technical papers and reports I write, my "notes" are already on the computer, in the form of experimental data, and papers - usually brief - in electronic format.)

The most important part of the writing process for me has always been making a good outline. I make this in my actual document, so when it is complete, I can just go back and flesh it out with sentences and paragraphs. The outline is driven by the structure of my ideas, not pages or paragraphs. I start with the introduction, and include in it all the points I want to make there. Then I go section by section, again listing broadly which points go where, and in which order. Finally I outline the conclusions, which for me is never simply a restatement of the introduction or top level summary. Yes, I do go back to the main point stated in the intro and sum up the final conclusions, but usually also go beyond this somehow, perhaps elaborating on its importance, or questions necessarily left unanswered.

I cannot overemphasize the importance of this outline step. Even when writing essay questions on exams, I found outlining to be time well spent. In fact, I almost cannot start writing until the outline is completely finished. I cannot begin until I can see my way clear to the end. Otherwise, I can end up going around in circles and never get where I want to go. Once this is clear, I can start writing, and the writing itself comes out in nearly final form. Then I deal with any mechanics like references, bibliography, etc. Finally I revisit the text for a final spelling and grammar check, at which point I may change a few words here or there, or add an example I overlooked on first writing, but I am essentially done.

I suppose I should add that this method has always produced good results, both in terms of grades, and my personal satisfaction with the work.

This is, ideally, the de facto way to do it right, ime. /thread

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I start 3 days before it's due and write very little at a time. it probably takes me like 2 hours at most if you count the time actually writing. but if i wait til the last minute i get overwhelmed and give up. also i just organize as i write.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. I pick a word, phrase, subject. 2. Get obsessed with gathering sources and use about 10% of them 3. Narrow the scope to to 3-4 nuances. 4. Write the paper.

I always struggled with brainstorming and outlining. ENFJ.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always envied the ability to create an outline as a first step. It makes the whole process infinitely more difficult for me. It's actually easier for me to write the paper first, and then create an outline of the finished paper. (Which is what I need to do when prefacing the paper with an abstract - an outline helps reduce it to bare bones for the abstract).

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly, I did this for years and the only time I had ever gotten a bad grade on my papers is when I took a class on Moby Dick (I have no idea why the hell I picked the class). Granted, my education focused on science-based courses and I don't know that I've ever written a paper longer than 10 pages.
I am a physicist, and have often written papers longer than 10 pages, including a thesis and dissertation, as well as several papers for non-science classes in college. One of my favorites was a comparison of three medieval plays about St. Nicholas, due right before Christmas. That one ran probably close to 20 pgs. Now I occasionally have to write reports longer than 10 pages, though most technical papers are shorter than that.

This is, ideally, the de facto way to do it right, ime. /thread
I'm glad you find it a productive approach. I should note, though, that I find it very Ni-Te oriented, so it may not work as well for everyone.

A case in point:

I've always envied the ability to create an outline as a first step. It makes the whole process infinitely more difficult for me. It's actually easier for me to write the paper first, and then create an outline of the finished paper. (Which is what I need to do when prefacing the paper with an abstract - an outline helps reduce it to bare bones for the abstract).

No reason this approach can't work for someone who finds it more in keeping with how they operate, especially if they get good results from it.

Metis

One of my favorites was a comparison of three medieval plays about St. Nicholas, due right before Christmas.

That sounds cool. I'd ask you if you'd post it so we could read it, but people plagiarize papers like that off the internet.

Permabanned
I am a physicist, and have often written papers longer than 10 pages, including a thesis and dissertation, as well as several papers for non-science classes in college. One of my favorites was a comparison of three medieval plays about St. Nicholas, due right before Christmas. That one ran probably close to 20 pgs. Now I occasionally have to write reports longer than 10 pages, though most technical papers are shorter than that.

I'm glad you find it a productive approach. I should note, though, that I find it very Ni-Te oriented, so it may not work as well for everyone.

A case in point:

No reason this approach can't work for someone who finds it more in keeping with how they operate, especially if they get good results from it.

I'd agree it's heavy on the Te side, as did most of engineering/academia; NeTi is more about a free form exploration, which in the scope of producing a a paper fits more within a specific part of the execution, like doing research. I do find the documentation aspect quite tedious/not particularly interesting in itself.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Basically I just do what @Z Buck McFate does. I would start with a bunch of research then just start writing The sooner I get started on this, the better it gets. The best thing I ever wrote, I spent a month on- revisiting and refining for weeks. That was a letter actually. I have used outlines on occasion to get some ideas of main points as well but don't always do that.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not quite sure what kind of point you're trying to make. My method really was just for an undergrad getting by. I've never been a PhD student nor have I have had to write papers for work.
The point, which I have mentioned elsewhere a few times, is that even people in scientific fields sometimes have to do quite a bit of writing, even as undergrads, something which I did not expect and found a bit discouraging.

Basically I just do what @Z Buck McFate does. I would start with a bunch of research then just start writing The sooner I get started on this, the better it gets. The best thing I ever wrote, I spent a month on- revisiting and refining for weeks. That was a letter actually. I have used outlines on occasion to get some ideas of main points as well but don't always do that.
I find it really interesting that our approaches are so different. Once I finish a paper, I do very little revisiting or revising. Even at work now, comments from coauthors and supervisors are usually fairly superficial stylistic things that could go either way. I incorporate them most of the time just to be collegial.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, it's not that I never wrote papers. That wasn't really what I meant. I was trying to say that scientific papers are a bit of a different story than humanity-focused papers. So long as my facts were straight and reasoning was sound, there was never a reason for me to do poorly on a paper.

But if you're writing papers for, say, a literature class, the professor is going to be a hell of a lot more critical in every single aspect of your paper.
Most undergrads don't write actual scientific papers, except for lab reports, which can get quite involved. Yes, the content is quite different from humanities or social science papers, which I mentioned briefly in my first post here. I still follow the same outlining and writing process, though. I do find these papers easier to write. I don't think a literature professor will be any more critical than one in sciences, though, the critique will just focus on different things.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It has been a long, long time, but once I decided the topic I wanted to write about, and argument I was presenting (which took the most time), it was then just a matter of finding enough material to support it. I would go through the resources to find the best quotes, and probably at the same time an outline would begin to form. Maybe it is because the outline format was how I was taught and was expected of us, but too, I think that naturally fit me anyway, but I made detailed enough outlines such that once the outline was done, the writing was incredibly easy, it was just basically filling in the blanks. Granted, this method is a lot more upfront work and just 'thinking', but once it was done the writing was a piece of cake.

I would always write the whole thing out on paper, crossing out, etc, then typed once it was done. Writing and editing while typing was never desirable for me, it seemed very...unreal; like it was impossible to tell I was making progress or have any sense of structure. It's probably a visual and sensory thing. Hate using the delete button, copy paste, I like pencil or pen on paper, scratching things out.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Very similar to Z Buck.

I research whatever is necessary to make mental connections and tangents, basically creating related chunks in my head which serves as a rough outline in that it organizes the info and deeper analyses.

I then write from start to finish without a written outline, but may have some sloppy notes with scribbles and connecting lines all over that I use for reference. I fine tune and edit and rearrange as I go. I find that stream of consciousness writing is my natural preferred method of expression and creation and consider rigid outlines oppressively stuffy and counter-creative.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have never made an outline in my entire life. I don't do rough drafts either.

I once told my roommate I can write an "A" essay in 2 hours and she was so shocked haha. But I've had so many finals that consist of writing an essay in 2 hours that it was inevitable I either learned to swim or just die.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I think an outline is definitely very useful for making sure that you are proceeding in an orderly fashion and making all of the important and necessary points. I don't actually write out the whole paper first, but I collect all of my random chunks of information that I want to use and organize an outline around them instead of starting with an outline. And then I finish writing everything.