User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Lame Ass Idioms

Default Lame Ass Idioms

Post your least favorite idioms in any language.

"I'm not comfortable..."

Examples:

1) "I'm not comfortable posting in this thread."

2) "I'm not comfortable paying you for these goods."

3) "I'm not comfortable with your expression."

It's meant to be a trump card: As long as I claim to be "uncomfortable", you're obligated to cater to my discomfort. :/
    Likes Yuu liked this post

Not Today
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I always thought the phrase "war on terror" sounded really stupid. It sounds like you are fighting the emotion of terror. It would make more sense to call it a "war on terrorism."
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes Yuu liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

No skin off my back. (sounds like it has roots in slavery and whippings)
    '“Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.

Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.

- look it up yourself

Garbage human

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I always thought the phrase "war on terror" sounded really stupid. It sounds like you are fighting the emotion of terror. It would make more sense to call it a "war on terrorism."
    Agreed. I also prefer "war on enemy combatants", although I guess it just doesn't have a nice ring to it like the others.

Actually "war on " anything is an overused expression, IMO. "War on drugs" is another one that has always annoyed me. "War on women", "war on boys", and I'm sure there's probably many more.

Then the funny thing is how we sometimes use other terms to describe actual wars, I.E. "police actions", just because of a technicality.

Garbage human

"cat's out of the bag"
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Metis View Post
    Post your least favorite idioms in any language.

"I'm not comfortable..."

Examples:

1) "I'm not comfortable posting in this thread."

2) "I'm not comfortable paying you for these goods."

3) "I'm not comfortable with your expression."

It's meant to be a trump card: As long as I claim to be "uncomfortable", you're obligated to cater to my discomfort. :/
    not if i'm an asshole
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I don't like that phrase either, because as you say, it is a misnomer since it is usually applied to efforts directed against people. That being said, we would do well to address the emotion of terror, as doing so would deprive terrorists of what they seek. Give them and their actions minimal media exposure, and just treat them like the criminals they are.

I have little patience for needlessly wordy expressions like "at this point in time". Why not simply say "now"?

Also, phrases like "it is what it is" seem like lazy substitutes for otherwise pointing out the futility of trying to change something, or your personal resignation to it, or whatever else you really think on the matter.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Not Today
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I don't like that phrase either, because as you say, it is a misnomer since it is usually applied to efforts directed against people. That being said, we would do well to address the emotion of terror, as doing so would deprive terrorists of what they seek. Give them and their actions minimal media exposure, and just treat them like the criminals they are.
    I agree about the emotion of terror, but most people don't actually think about the problem on that level. It usually is focused on people.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I like all the idioms. The more words and phrases we have to express various nuances is always an improvement to me. My favs are "throwing shade", "it goes to eleven", and "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra"

And as an aside, "I'm not comfortable" is not an idiom, it's just a statement.
    ▵▵▵
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I like all the idioms. The more words and phrases we have to express various nuances is always an improvement to me. My favs are "throwing shade", "it goes to eleven", and "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra"

And as an aside, "I'm not comfortable" is not an idiom, it's just a statement.
    It doesn't have to be off-the-wall to be an idiom. "The term idiom refers to a set expression or a phrase comprising two or more words. An interesting fact regarding the device is that the expression is not interpreted literally. The phrase is understood to mean something quite different from what individual words of the phrase would imply. Alternatively, it can be said that the phrase is interpreted in a figurative sense." Idiom - Examples and Definition of Idiom

A couple of decades ago, people were commonly using the phrase in a more literal sense, saying that they weren't comfortable asking a teacher to review a grading decision, or that they wouldn't be comfortable letting their kid fly in an airplane alone. They meant that they experienced a sense of inner unease at those ideas that was telling them that they didn't want to do them.

In the past ten years, I almost always hear the phrase used in a different sense, the one I described in the OP. It has nothing to do with a sense of unease telling them that something might not be a good idea. They just say it because they think it sounds too direct if they just say, "I don't like it."