• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I’m 24 with no job experience...

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
The title pretty much explains the situation I’m in.

I’m 24 and I’ve never had a job. I still live with my parents, I don’t know how to drive, and I have no post-secondary education. I’m extremely, shy, introverted, withdrawn, and sheltered, and my doctor thinks I may have high-functioning Autism. I’ve thought about getting a job as a self-stocker, but I don’t know what business would want to hire a 24 year old with no life experience.

I’ve thought about going back to college, but I feel like I’m too old to go back to school, and my family (mainly my older sister) ridicules everything I like. They want me to go into something business or technology related, but I have no interest whatsoever in those fields. I’d rather work in a low-paying job my entire life before working in the business and technology sectors. I’ve always wanted to work in a museum or library, but I feel like I’m too old to go into those fields.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

I’m 24 and I’ve never had a job. I still live with my parents, I don’t know how to drive, and I have no post-secondary education. I’m extremely, shy, introverted, withdrawn, and sheltered, and my doctor thinks I may have high-functioning Autism. I’ve thought about getting a job as a self-stocker, but I don’t know what business would want to hire a 24 year old with no life experience.

I’ve thought about going back to college, but I feel like I’m too old to go back to school, and my family (mainly my older sister) ridicules everything I like. They want me to go into something business or technology related, but I have no interest whatsoever in those fields. I’d rather work in a low-paying job my entire life before working in the business and technology sectors. I’ve always wanted to work in a museum or library, but I feel like I’m too old to go into those fields.

I was in a very similar situation as you at 24. I did go back to school. No one ever asked how old I was and I loved it. Do it.
I got a minor in law and a major an Anthropology ( My priorities are absolutely not backwards...they kinda are though) I was able to volunteer at the local Japanese museum but as far as jobs go...ha, no one was interested in paying me. I think you will find that in every field except, well, business and technology.

You wanna be happy or make money? That's unfortunately the option for everyone.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was in a very similar situation as you at 24. I did go back to school. No one ever asked how old I was and I loved it. Do it.
I got a minor in law and a major an Anthropology ( My priorities are absolutely not backwards!) I was able to volunteer at the local Japanese museum but as far as jobs go...ha, no one was interested in paying me. I think you will find that in every field except, well, business and technology.

You wanna be happy or make money? That's unfortunately the option for everyone.

I’ve always held that given the rising cost of living, you should focus on making money when you are young. Then, when you retire from your first career, you can focus on your passion during your second career, since you’ve already made your money. Since you are still young (but still older than me), I’d focus on making money if I were you. At 22, I already have a high-flying career, a new car, a big house, and a good deal of influence in the community. That said, when I retire, I will have no use for more money, so my second career will be all about having fun and exploring my passions. Make enough cash and you can live your life on your own terms. If you lack funds, you are always having to live the way somebody else wants you to live.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Have faith, keep applying for jobs, once you get one work for a while while saving and go back to college in a field you think you'll enjoy working in.

At this moment I think it's best to apply for a job. You'll get a job, it will just take some time.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I’ve always held that given the rising cost of living, you should focus on making money when you are young. Then, when you retire from your first career, you can focus on your passion during your second career, since you’ve already made your money. Since you are still young (but still older than me), I’d focus on making money if I were you. At 22, I already have a high-flying career, a new car, a big house, and a good deal of influence in the community. That said, when I retire, I will have no use for more money, so my second career will be all about having fun and exploring my passions. Make enough cash and you can live your life on your own terms. If you lack funds, you are always having to live the way somebody else wants you to live.

I’m 35.

Good for you. We don’t all have those optins.
I was on Diaylisis almost immediatly out if Highschool and living with a crazy family that put me on disability even before then so was rellagated to garbage jobs for “ special people”. I shouldn’t have been wirking as much as I was and permantantly injured my back. I REALLY wanted to go to school but said crazy family told me I couldn’t.
I tried my damnedest to escape but they convinced everyone I was a “ danger to myself” and I would have been committed had I tried. I started school at 24 because that was when I was finally able to get away.
That I was able to do any of this at was quite a feat

But go on, tell me I just didn’t TRY hard enough as most everyone not in my situation does.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My life is going slow but what i learned is very few people finish school by 22 and also 24 isn't ridiculously old that you are unhireable. So all i'm saying is 24 is young as fuck i felt at 24 my life was over because i was dxed with a mental illness and had to drop out of school. now i'm 31 i'm about to graduate with my undergrad in may in general studies concentration humanities and plan to apply to grad school for social work yes most people have 10 years on me but if that stops me then i am a fucking failure. all i can do is look forward keep trying and hope i don't fuck things up too bad.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I’m 35.

Good for you. We don’t all have those optins.
I was on Diaylisis almost immediatly out if Highschool and living with a crazy family that put me on disability even before then so was rellagated to garbage jobs for “ special people”. I shouldn’t have been wirking as much as I was and permantantly injured my back. I REALLY wanted to go to school but said crazy family told me I couldn’t.
I tried my damnedest to escape but they convinced everyone I was a “ danger to myself” and I would have been committed had I tried. I started school at 24 because that was when I was finally able to get away.
That I was able to do any of this at was quite a feat

But go on, tell me I just didn’t TRY hard enough as most everyone not in my situation does.

To be honest, things looked bleak for me until a few months ago, and I am enjoying wealth this early more from a random stroke of good luck than anything I did personally—but even if everything went according to plan, I’d be where I am now in a couple decades. At this point, I’m trying to stabilize my life after this unexpected reversal of fortune. I’m still depressed and without a therapist to help me through it, but at least I can afford therapy now.

How much progress have you made since starting school? Are you financially stable? Are you free from your crazy family?

Radical wealth is not needed so long as you have enough to pay your bills, have a low-cost hobby, and still save some money afterwards.

My only regret is life is so bad for the majority of people and there is nothing I can really do to help them.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Focus on getting work history, or go back to school and work. Even if part time. It makes you more desireable to employers. Even if it was fast food. If youre american, a car should be your first goal as it opens the door for more opportunities, raises you credit, and to some its a mark of adulthood to own and maintain one. Then work to secure a better job, and or finish school. Then work towards independance. Don't be afraid to ask parents on how to do things.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Focus on getting work history, or go back to school and work. Even if part time. It makes you more desireable to employers. Even if it was fast food. If youre american, a car should be your first goal as it opens the door for more opportunities, raises you credit, and to some its a mark of adulthood to own and maintain one. Then work to secure a better job, and or finish school. Then work towards independance. Don't be afraid to ask parents on how to do things.
Wise and sound advice.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be honest, things looked bleak for me until a few months ago, and I am enjoying wealth this early more from a random stroke of good luck than anything I did personally—but even if everything went according to plan, I’d be where I am now in a couple decades. At this point, I’m trying to stabilize my life after this unexpected reversal of fortune. I’m still depressed and without a therapist to help me through it, but at least I can afford therapy now.

How much progress have you made since starting school? Are you financially stable? Are you free from your crazy family?

Radical wealth is not needed so long as you have enough to pay your bills, have a low-cost hobby, and still save some money afterwards.

My only regret is life is so bad for the majority of people and there is nothing I can really do to help them.

I understand you are just trying to be helpful, but sometimes people just go at their own pace. Just because you succeed doesn't mean that you need to look down upon/pity others who don't make it to your level. Like my friend says, "you can't save all the puppies at the risk of losing your own bliss." But you can still learn something of value from almost anybody. Having a "pitying" mindset will alienate you from those who you deem "not as successful". Consider it a gift that you have the capacity to overcome and persevere! :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What have you been doing with your time since graduating from high school? An employer will be more interested in this than in your age. Actually, just being older might give you an advantage for minimum wage or entry level jobs, as you would be expected to be overall more mature than an 18 year old.

As for education, it is never too late. My MIL went to college in her 50's, after all her kids had gone, and then worked as a social worker with elderly people. A good stepping stone might be to start with community college if there is one near you. They are cheaper, and often more accommodating to "non-traditional" students - those who are older, or working during the day, or balancing family commitments, or even needing some remedial work after not doing well in HS. Degree programs are only 2 years, and there are often certification programs (sometimes shorter) that will prepare you directly for a job. Yes, business and technology programs are big, but there are usually some devoted to jobs in health care, hospitality, or even the art side of technology (graphic design, etc.)

If you find something of interest that leads to jobs you would be able to do, you could start there and see how it goes. Many people go on from community college to complete a 4-year degree, either right away, or after working for awhile. You could combine taking classes with working part time, to get experience on both sides. This is good for your resume, and also will help you figure out what you want do long-term.

If you are interested in working in a library, one long-term plan might be to get your library science degree. This is usually a one-year graduate program, meaning you would need to finish college first. Don't be daunted by the timeline. Just take things one step at a time, and reevaluate as you go along whether this is still of interest. Any academic librarian can point you in the right direction if you are.

Finally don't worry about your sister. If she has advice that is actually helpful, do consider it, but otherwise your life is not hers to live.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Just apply at Craigslist for a job. They often have job listing that have immediate hiring. You'll get very quickly more so than applying online at wal-mart. Don't let your future be decided whether you choose to browse on craiglist than staying at home doing nothing.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Have you considered online degree programs?

For example:

30 Most Affordable Top Master’s in Library Science Online Degree 2018

Graduate Tuition/Fees: $12,048

University of Arizona’s MA in Library and Information Science is offered as a fully online program that is accredited by the American Library Association (ALA). Eight concentration areas are available and include academic librarianship, archival studies, digital information management, law librarianship, public librarianship, and special librarianship. The programs core courses include ethics for library and information professionals, organization of information, and research methods for library and information professionals.

Good luck.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nobody knows your situation and understands sadly, frankly you'd only know best steps to take more than your family. If they were dead, you'd have to take steps anyway. So many ppl much worse than u get jobs, not every employer cares about ur experience, sometimes they just need help. : / I mean don't shoot for something too high that you obviously know you have no qualifications. Sometimes the bottom jobs are just a step in the door. Root for yourself, ain't nobody gonna support you like you do... Even if you fail. :3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Have you ever try of freelance work? INFP should be good at writing. They'll be a good writer. Try freelancing. There are many freelance website on the net where you can find clients: fiverr, freelancer, etc.

Tomb1

Work sucks but in the end its about making bank. Sink or swim. The fact you have no job experience doesn't mean you're unemployable....it just means you've got to start at the bottom. Don't be greedy, grab whatever you can....there's plenty of 13 dollar an hour jobs for somebody in your position. 13 dollars an hour is shit pay but a helluva lot better than 0 dollars an hour.

Lark

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Buccaneer-Scholar-Self-Education-Pursuit-Lifetime/dp/1847375359/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=james+bach&qid=1565263559&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I'd recommend this book as a counter point to experience as its most often considered.

Also, I have observed on a number of occasions how experience, whatever may be stated on most interview applications etc. is not valued, the opposite in fact.

It does depend what you are apply for but there are reasons why older people find job seeking difficult, either within their field or when seeking to change their line of work etc.

This sort of inflexibility in the labour market, which I'd admit is accounted for by a lot of social or cultural factors and not simply money, is going to be a big problem in the future. Anyway, my point was that your situation has some advantages to it I'm not sure you've thought about.