User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Purplemoon View Post
    The title pretty much explains the situation I’m in.

I’m 24 and I’ve never had a job. I still live with my parents, I don’t know how to drive, and I have no post-secondary education. I’m extremely, shy, introverted, withdrawn, and sheltered, and my doctor thinks I may have high-functioning Autism. I’ve thought about getting a job as a self-stocker, but I don’t know what business would want to hire a 24 year old with no life experience.

I’ve thought about going back to college, but I feel like I’m too old to go back to school, and my family (mainly my older sister) ridicules everything I like. They want me to go into something business or technology related, but I have no interest whatsoever in those fields. I’d rather work in a low-paying job my entire life before working in the business and technology sectors. I’ve always wanted to work in a museum or library, but I feel like I’m too old to go into those fields.
    What have you been doing with your time since graduating from high school? An employer will be more interested in this than in your age. Actually, just being older might give you an advantage for minimum wage or entry level jobs, as you would be expected to be overall more mature than an 18 year old.

As for education, it is never too late. My MIL went to college in her 50's, after all her kids had gone, and then worked as a social worker with elderly people. A good stepping stone might be to start with community college if there is one near you. They are cheaper, and often more accommodating to "non-traditional" students - those who are older, or working during the day, or balancing family commitments, or even needing some remedial work after not doing well in HS. Degree programs are only 2 years, and there are often certification programs (sometimes shorter) that will prepare you directly for a job. Yes, business and technology programs are big, but there are usually some devoted to jobs in health care, hospitality, or even the art side of technology (graphic design, etc.)

If you find something of interest that leads to jobs you would be able to do, you could start there and see how it goes. Many people go on from community college to complete a 4-year degree, either right away, or after working for awhile. You could combine taking classes with working part time, to get experience on both sides. This is good for your resume, and also will help you figure out what you want do long-term.

If you are interested in working in a library, one long-term plan might be to get your library science degree. This is usually a one-year graduate program, meaning you would need to finish college first. Don't be daunted by the timeline. Just take things one step at a time, and reevaluate as you go along whether this is still of interest. Any academic librarian can point you in the right direction if you are.

Finally don't worry about your sister. If she has advice that is actually helpful, do consider it, but otherwise your life is not hers to live.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Falcarius liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Just apply at Craigslist for a job. They often have job listing that have immediate hiring. You'll get very quickly more so than applying online at wal-mart. Don't let your future be decided whether you choose to browse on craiglist than staying at home doing nothing.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Have you considered online degree programs?

For example:

30 Most Affordable Top Master’s in Library Science Online Degree 2018

Graduate Tuition/Fees: $12,048

University of Arizona’s MA in Library and Information Science is offered as a fully online program that is accredited by the American Library Association (ALA). Eight concentration areas are available and include academic librarianship, archival studies, digital information management, law librarianship, public librarianship, and special librarianship. The programs core courses include ethics for library and information professionals, organization of information, and research methods for library and information professionals.
    Good luck.
    'Tis the season to be grumpy, fa la la la la baah Humbug!!
    Likes Avocado, Forever, Falcarius liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    731 sp

Nobody knows your situation and understands sadly, frankly you'd only know best steps to take more than your family. If they were dead, you'd have to take steps anyway. So many ppl much worse than u get jobs, not every employer cares about ur experience, sometimes they just need help. : / I mean don't shoot for something too high that you obviously know you have no qualifications. Sometimes the bottom jobs are just a step in the door. Root for yourself, ain't nobody gonna support you like you do... Even if you fail. :3
    Promise me. From here on out, never again waste new tears on the past.
    ~Along With the Gods

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Have you ever try of freelance work? INFP should be good at writing. They'll be a good writer. Try freelancing. There are many freelance website on the net where you can find clients: fiverr, freelancer, etc.

Work sucks but in the end its about making bank. Sink or swim. The fact you have no job experience doesn't mean you're unemployable....it just means you've got to start at the bottom. Don't be greedy, grab whatever you can....there's plenty of 13 dollar an hour jobs for somebody in your position. 13 dollars an hour is shit pay but a helluva lot better than 0 dollars an hour.
    Click here for my 2500+ Enneagram Type List to type yourself and others with. It's the only valid breakdown for every enneagram type, wing and stack.

Click here for the only valid visual typing model of stackings on earth and socionics.
    Click here for enneagram type descriptions as a supplement to the only valid breakdown for every type, wing and stack.
    Click here for my typings of 100+ fictional exemplars and here for my typings of 90+ typology central members.

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I'm a job with no 24 experience...
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes awbro liked this post

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Buc...gateway&sr=8-2

I'd recommend this book as a counter point to experience as its most often considered.

Also, I have observed on a number of occasions how experience, whatever may be stated on most interview applications etc. is not valued, the opposite in fact.

It does depend what you are apply for but there are reasons why older people find job seeking difficult, either within their field or when seeking to change their line of work etc.

This sort of inflexibility in the labour market, which I'd admit is accounted for by a lot of social or cultural factors and not simply money, is going to be a big problem in the future. Anyway, my point was that your situation has some advantages to it I'm not sure you've thought about.