• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Science/engineering jobs with less computer use

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I have a background in electrical engineering and physics, but find most jobs include sitting at a computer all day. I changed to be a patent attorney but still sit at a computer most of the day.

What are some good jobs in similar fields where I could escape the office and the computer, but still solve challenging problems?

I don't mind using a computer as a tool, so outdoor sciences with analysis might be okay. Just not things where the standard is: provide computer and office, employee sits at computer and works.

I love science and problem solving to the point where I could play around solving maths problems all day on paper. I like finding new solutions to things. I'm strong theoretically to the point where most bosses don't expect me to make any theoretical mistakes and ask me for the reason I chose a solution if they disagree. I'm also really patient with practical problem solving compared to most and good with my hands in the sense of fixing complicated things. This makes me thing science and engineering aren't the wrong fields. I actually feel I have a lot to offer in them.

However, I just can't do offices (maybe an ENFP thing) and using screens that much gives me headaches. As an extrovert and creative thinker, an office feels like people put me in a place with no stimulus, expect me to work on device that gives me headaches and keeps my mind out of reflective deep thinking, then ask me to perform at my best. I actually feel like a different person when I escape for a few weeks and the effects of it wear off, so I'm guessing it probably is stressing my body a bit doing it. Just what to do instead.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a background in electrical engineering and physics, but find most jobs include sitting at a computer all day. I changed to be a patent attorney but still sit at a computer most of the day.

What are some good jobs in similar fields where I could escape the office and the computer, but still solve challenging problems?
I do hands-on research, which can involve lots of time in a lab working hands-on with equipment and doing experiments. Then, of course, time at the computer plotting data and writing papers or reports. The part of my work at the computer has increased in recent years as I have gained more seniority and need to take on more project management responsibility, but also because administrative and clerical work is increasing in my organization for everyone. (Probably time to move on.) So, look for a job where there actually are lab facilities and working there would be part of your duties, whether for research and development, or even quality control testing, etc.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I thought I'd come back to this again. I have trouble working at computers at all now (they make me quite sick).

I was wondering if anyone knows anything interesting and technical where I can escape them completely?

I love science and problem solving, and generally want something more challenging and cutting edge than most non-computer jobs give :(

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I thought I'd come back to this again. I have trouble working at computers at all now (they make me quite sick).

Do you mean that you don't like them, or that you feel nauseous? If the latter, have your vision tested and make sure your head and neck are positioned so as to look straight, as well as having a good posture overall.

ThoughtBubbles

Pansexual Primadonna
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are ways to make your screen emit more natural looking light too if it's a matter of staring too much at the screen.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe

I was wondering if anyone knows anything interesting and technical where I can escape them completely?

I love science and problem solving, and generally want something more challenging and cutting edge than most non-computer jobs give :(

Ha... this is relevant to my interests.

I have a B Math, but my worst scores were in anything computer related.

Still, it looks like the most likely work is data analysis for me.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Do you mean that you don't like them, or that you feel nauseous? If the latter, have your vision tested and make sure your head and neck are positioned so as to look straight, as well as having a good posture overall.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried most things with no success.

It's an effect almost straight away, not delayed. I get dizzy with sweating and headaches and burning pains, and see fringing on the letters and flashing between paragraphs. I saw an optometrist, opthamologist and neuro-opthamologist so far. My eyes are physically fine. The neuro-opthamologist believes it might be a type of "visual snow". My GP also tested beta blockers to rule out if it was migraine or stress related (not that my symptoms really fitted that) but they just made it worse. I've had other strange autoimmune like symptoms for about two years now since having mono.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Out in the field work?