Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default Career paths/jobs that might go against assumption

Let’s shine some light on some potential career paths or even just casual jobs that might go against a personality type’s generalities (not stereotypes, but general “truths” of the types) for the folks out there hoping to shake up their life with something new, are in a job they don’t find satisfaction in, or looking for a direction down the road to help them select a major in college. Maybe these careers are areas often seen solely as the domain of the extrovert or introvert, but the opposite sort of personality may find something appealing about it in another way?

Quick example of what I mean is, there are actually a good number of actors and musicians out there that are introverts. The general perception might be that these avenues are only applicable to extroverts, but that definitely isn’t the case. Is there a reason why some introverts may go down this path? How they overcome or get around the times they must “extrovert”?
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

🍓 girl in an 🍎 world SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Regarding introverted musicians and actors, they will often have agents who do a lot of the booking and PR on their behalf. So they don't need to do a lot of "selling themselves," making pitches and/or booking gigs.
    Over 40 years ago, we were passing through South Carolina - possibly on our way to Florida.
    For reasons unknown to this day, we were shot to death, execution style, on the side of a dirt road.
    We were a young couple, probably in our early to mid-20s, and may have been French Canadian.
    Our identities have never been established.
    So... Who were we?

For all intents and purposes, I am a "technical writer" who is mostly behind the scenes. While my ENFJ friend woos people with charm and charisma, I take his message and break it down into bite-size pieces for others to easily digest the information.

We are fairly similar but emphasize different areas.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

I always point out that type does not correlate with interest.

I have an ENFP friend who is an ecologist. ENFPs are not typically viewed as big science people, but that's what my friend is truly interested in. Then again, dominant Ne usually equals lots of interests everywhere.

FJs are usually thought of in careers like education and medicine. Many are drawn to these fields given their Fe. However, my ESFJ mom's credientials are mostly in business. Her specialty and what she really enjoys (though has never pursued at a level she wanted) is marketing. Maybe this is not too rare for an ESFJ as I think strong Fe is a really incredible asset when appealing to other people. She also says that if she were young now and were going to get a degree, she's go more towards the computer science side of things. I don't think that strikes as very ESFJish.

Quote Originally Posted by LucieCat View Post
    I always point out that type does not correlate with interest. I have an ENFP friend who is an ecologist. ENFPs are not typically viewed as big science people, but that's what my friend is truly interested in.
    I think you'll find lots of ENFPs in science and engineering. Maybe they aren't as common as NTs, but they aren't uncommon.

An ecologist seems like a good fit for an ENFP because they are close to nature, can study natural systems, and make a positive impact. On the other hand, in physics research I loved understanding the systems at work in the world, but sometimes found myself being too detached from the world that I wanted to understand and study, and the impact being too many years away. Physics as part of a team where things were moving more quickly and with more personal and practical engagement would be fine though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm a Federation empath. That means I stand on the bridge and when someone yells, I say " I sense anger."
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I'm a Federation empath. That means I stand on the bridge and when someone yells, I say " I sense anger."
    Good grief. That has got to be one of the most useless roles in that series.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Well introverts can extrovert it’s just taxing. An introverted actor is probably just that much more exhausted at the end of a performance where the extroverted actor is probably amped up. If they love their craft, both introverts and extroverts will be satisfied at the end of the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    That along with being Picard’s barber.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What do you think was even the motivation behind creating that character?
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    What do you think was even the motivation behind creating that character?
    To show that even in futuristic, egalitarian, spacefaring societies, bureaucracies still have deadwood?

Or perhaps to pander to any latter-day hippie flower children in the audience (but they wouldn't have enough earning power to appeal to advertisers)?

I suspect this is yet another case where I cannot expect conventional logic to apply.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...