• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Career paths/jobs that might go against assumption

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Let’s shine some light on some potential career paths or even just casual jobs that might go against a personality type’s generalities (not stereotypes, but general “truths” of the types) for the folks out there hoping to shake up their life with something new, are in a job they don’t find satisfaction in, or looking for a direction down the road to help them select a major in college. Maybe these careers are areas often seen solely as the domain of the extrovert or introvert, but the opposite sort of personality may find something appealing about it in another way?

Quick example of what I mean is, there are actually a good number of actors and musicians out there that are introverts. The general perception might be that these avenues are only applicable to extroverts, but that definitely isn’t the case. Is there a reason why some introverts may go down this path? How they overcome or get around the times they must “extrovert”?

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Regarding introverted musicians and actors, they will often have agents who do a lot of the booking and PR on their behalf. So they don't need to do a lot of "selling themselves," making pitches and/or booking gigs.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For all intents and purposes, I am a "technical writer" who is mostly behind the scenes. While my ENFJ friend woos people with charm and charisma, I take his message and break it down into bite-size pieces for others to easily digest the information.

We are fairly similar but emphasize different areas.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always point out that type does not correlate with interest.

I have an ENFP friend who is an ecologist. ENFPs are not typically viewed as big science people, but that's what my friend is truly interested in. Then again, dominant Ne usually equals lots of interests everywhere.

FJs are usually thought of in careers like education and medicine. Many are drawn to these fields given their Fe. However, my ESFJ mom's credientials are mostly in business. Her specialty and what she really enjoys (though has never pursued at a level she wanted) is marketing. Maybe this is not too rare for an ESFJ as I think strong Fe is a really incredible asset when appealing to other people. She also says that if she were young now and were going to get a degree, she's go more towards the computer science side of things. I don't think that strikes as very ESFJish.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I always point out that type does not correlate with interest. I have an ENFP friend who is an ecologist. ENFPs are not typically viewed as big science people, but that's what my friend is truly interested in.
I think you'll find lots of ENFPs in science and engineering. Maybe they aren't as common as NTs, but they aren't uncommon.

An ecologist seems like a good fit for an ENFP because they are close to nature, can study natural systems, and make a positive impact. On the other hand, in physics research I loved understanding the systems at work in the world, but sometimes found myself being too detached from the world that I wanted to understand and study, and the impact being too many years away. Physics as part of a team where things were moving more quickly and with more personal and practical engagement would be fine though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a Federation empath. That means I stand on the bridge and when someone yells, I say " I sense anger."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a Federation empath. That means I stand on the bridge and when someone yells, I say " I sense anger."
Good grief. That has got to be one of the most useless roles in that series.

Well introverts can extrovert it’s just taxing. An introverted actor is probably just that much more exhausted at the end of a performance where the extroverted actor is probably amped up. If they love their craft, both introverts and extroverts will be satisfied at the end of the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Good grief. That has got to be one of the most useless roles in that series.

That along with being Picard’s barber.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you think was even the motivation behind creating that character?
To show that even in futuristic, egalitarian, spacefaring societies, bureaucracies still have deadwood?

Or perhaps to pander to any latter-day hippie flower children in the audience (but they wouldn't have enough earning power to appeal to advertisers)?

I suspect this is yet another case where I cannot expect conventional logic to apply.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To show that even in futuristic, egalitarian, spacefaring societies, bureaucracies still have deadwood?

Or perhaps to pander to any latter-day hippie flower children in the audience (but they wouldn't have enough earning power to appeal to advertisers)?

I don't know... I mean... they might have grown up to have more earning power. I think the character was based on the bald alien woman from TMP, who was going to be in Phase II, I think. But I remember her having more in the ways of abilities. Maybe she was supposed to be the Bones to Data's Spock? But Bones had medical abilities at least.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know... I mean... they might have grown up to have more earning power. I think the character was based on the bald alien woman from TMP, who was going to be in Phase II, I think. But I remember her having more in the ways of abilities. Maybe she was supposed to be the Bones to Data's Spock? But Bones had medical abilities at least.
Do you mean Ilia? She was just a human taken over by the alien consciousness, which was anything but emotional or empathetic. I suppose I shouldn't be that critical of her character. She probably had her own niche in the community and served some useful function. I just could never relate, or understand the point of how she fit into many of the plotlines.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you mean Ilia? She was just a human taken over by the alien consciousness, which was anything but emotional or empathetic. I suppose I shouldn't be that critical of her character. She probably had her own niche in the community and served some useful function. I just could never relate, or understand the point of how she fit into many of the plotlines.

She was taken over by an alien consciousness, but she was also an alien before that. Maybe the fact that she took an oath of celibacy was a point of confusion.

Ilia

In particular:

Ilia, as well as her relationship with Will Decker, was the inspiration for both the Betazoid character Deanna Troi and Troi's relationship with the Human William T. Riker. This includes the Betazoids, like the Deltans, being named after a character in the Greek alphabet, their relatively very open attitude toward sexual activities, and their ESP (Extra Sensory Perception) capability (manifesting in Troi primarily as empathy).

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She was taken over by an alien consciousness, but she was also an alien before that. Maybe the fact that she took an oath of celibacy was a point of confusion.
Well, she wasn't human, but was no more alien than the several other races represented on ST crews at various times, so I'm not counting her as alien in that respect.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Regarding introverted musicians and actors, they will often have agents who do a lot of the booking and PR on their behalf. So they don't need to do a lot of "selling themselves," making pitches and/or booking gigs.

I do would like to note that, often in today’s business climate.. the introvert would have to master this him or herself before being able to hire one. Which I could see both the extrovert and the introvert doing later on.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do would like to note that, often in today’s business climate.. the introvert would have to master this him or herself before being able to hire one. Which I could see both the extrovert and the introvert doing later on.

I know, it sucks :(

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I know, it sucks :(

Actually, just thought, I think outlets such as YouTube has granted introverted artists a unique pathway to public recognition in this day and age so we might be seeing an influx of introverted types perhaps. :happy2:

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, just thought, I think outlets such as YouTube has granted introverted artists a unique pathway to public recognition in this day and age so we might be seeing an influx of introverted types perhaps. :happy2:

Recognition, sure. If you're lucky and have the right looks, charisma, et cetera. But there's really no money in YT. Those who are "YouTube-famous" are able to partner up with brands to hawk their products in every video, which is the real money-maker. What is very concerning to me is that kids might watch their favorite YouTubers and think that doing YT is a real job (it's not). Click-bait video titles and loud, obnoxious ADHD types are all I've come to expect from "content creators" these days, and why I only subscribe to genuine people with actual skills and/or knowledge. There might not be a new video up every week, but at least they care about their creative output...

I'd say to someone wanting to put their music out there the right way, do it through other venues besides YT (owned by GOOGLE)... Just upload your videos on Vimeo, which is a much classier site. And there's always Soundcloud, Bandcamp or Reverbnation for song uploads.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Recognition, sure. If you're lucky and have the right looks, charisma, et cetera. But there's really no money in YT. Those who are "YouTube-famous" are able to partner up with brands to hawk their products in every video, which is the real money-maker. What is very concerning to me is that kids might watch their favorite YouTubers and think that doing YT is a real job (it's not). Click-bait video titles and loud, obnoxious ADHD types are all I've come to expect from "content creators" these days, and why I only subscribe to genuine people with actual skills and/or knowledge. There might not be a new video up every week, but at least they care about their creative output...

I'd say to someone wanting to put their music out there the right way, do it through other venues besides YT (owned by GOOGLE)... Just upload your videos on Vimeo, which is a much classier site. And there's always Soundcloud, Bandcamp or Reverbnation for song uploads.

Exactly. “Outlets such as YouTube”, I was merely using that as an example. I’ve posted a few things to Vimeo and have noticed a different crowd. Then for photography, there are many sites of course, again, each having their typical user base. Once you familiarize yourself with the sort of crowd of an outlet and the kind of art it attracts and promotes, you go with the outlet(s) that works for you and your message. It’s nice that there are so many options available these days.