• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cover letters for university applications?

Lark

Did anyone on the forum, perhaps US members, ever have to write a covering letter or personal statement when applying to a university? How common is that practice? I'm intrigued by the idea, I'm intrigued by its extension to some workplaces and application procedures for employment and short listing. Does anyone have any that they would be happy or willing to share?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have never seen a cover letter required for application to an undergraduate program in the US, though perhaps some universities or programs require it. Most use an online application form and process now. I have never seen one used for grad schools either, but can see it making more sense there. That being said, there are opportunities for sending letters in connection with your application, whether to address financial aid issues, send supplementary material or corrections/updates, or even to express your interest to a particular program or department. This last happens especially for grad school where you may be applying somewhere with the intent of working with a specific advisor. If you visit the university before applying, it is always appropriate to write a thank-you letter to anyone who took the time to speak with you or show you around. Not an application cover letter, but it can be another opportunity to express your interest (briefly and specifically), and make a good impression on someone who might be able to influence your acceptance.

Lark

I have never seen a cover letter required for application to an undergraduate program in the US, though perhaps some universities or programs require it. Most use an online application form and process now. I have never seen one used for grad schools either, but can see it making more sense there. That being said, there are opportunities for sending letters in connection with your application, whether to address financial aid issues, send supplementary material or corrections/updates, or even to express your interest to a particular program or department. This last happens especially for grad school where you may be applying somewhere with the intent of working with a specific advisor. If you visit the university before applying, it is always appropriate to write a thank-you letter to anyone who took the time to speak with you or show you around. Not an application cover letter, but it can be another opportunity to express your interest (briefly and specifically), and make a good impression on someone who might be able to influence your acceptance.

This is interesting as I've seen it mentioned in quite a few TV shows and films, although I cant remember the films right now, I had assumed that it was universities in the main because I did not know that you could be doing this at the high school level (is that what's meant by grad school?).

Interesting. Also I have seen in TV and film how much atheletic skills are admired and have certain special status in the US but what balance would people in the US generally try to strike between academic and athletic accreditation and would community involvement be chalked up to athletic involvement too? I know these could be Ivy League or elite preoccupations or pursuits, how people seek to distinguish themselves at a pretty elite level already, I'm just curious about it.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is interesting as I've seen it mentioned in quite a few TV shows and films, although I cant remember the films right now, I had assumed that it was universities in the main because I did not know that you could be doing this at the high school level (is that what's meant by grad school?).

Interesting. Also I have seen in TV and film how much atheletic skills are admired and have certain special status in the US but what balance would people in the US generally try to strike between academic and athletic accreditation and would community involvement be chalked up to athletic involvement too? I know these could be Ivy League or elite preoccupations or pursuits, how people seek to distinguish themselves at a pretty elite level already, I'm just curious about it.
"Grad school" is what one does after one's initial university degree is earned, to go on for a masters or doctoral degree. As for the relative emphasis on athletics or community involvement, much depends on the school. Football is a huge preoccupation (not to mention big money earner) in some schools; other sports to lesser extent. At some schools, star athletes are often admitted and allowed to remain even when their academic performance is poor, just to help the team win. At any school, being good at a sport or even a musical instrument can help you gain admission, but usually it won't (at least it shouldn't) override poor academic performance. It then becomes more of a tie-breaker, or an argument to give you the benefit of the doubt if you are borderline otherwise. It might make a difference in your financial aid. (Remember how expensive college is for most Americans.)

Most schools - especially the better ones, like Ivy Leagues - also look for someone who is a well-rounded person and has dreams and motivation. It almost doesn't matter what you do: sports, music, scouts, debate, travel, art, started your own business, worked part time to support younger siblings, etc. As long as you did things outside of class, and made sustained commitments to something where you could better yourself and show accomplishment. They do also look for some investment in the community. Often these can go hand in hand, e.g. playing music at community events, mentoring younger kids in your sport or scout group, donating your business proceeds to a charity, etc.

Lark

"Grad school" is what one does after one's initial university degree is earned, to go on for a masters or doctoral degree. As for the relative emphasis on athletics or community involvement, much depends on the school. Football is a huge preoccupation (not to mention big money earner) in some schools; other sports to lesser extent. At some schools, star athletes are often admitted and allowed to remain even when their academic performance is poor, just to help the team win. At any school, being good at a sport or even a musical instrument can help you gain admission, but usually it won't (at least it shouldn't) override poor academic performance. It then becomes more of a tie-breaker, or an argument to give you the benefit of the doubt if you are borderline otherwise. It might make a difference in your financial aid. (Remember how expensive college is for most Americans.)

Most schools - especially the better ones, like Ivy Leagues - also look for someone who is a well-rounded person and has dreams and motivation. It almost doesn't matter what you do: sports, music, scouts, debate, travel, art, started your own business, worked part time to support younger siblings, etc. As long as you did things outside of class, and made sustained commitments to something where you could better yourself and show accomplishment. They do also look for some investment in the community. Often these can go hand in hand, e.g. playing music at community events, mentoring younger kids in your sport or scout group, donating your business proceeds to a charity, etc.

This is interesting, and probably more what I expected and was talking about, so its mainly those at the level of post-graduate that could be creating these profiles and progressing in this manner? Hmm, I wonder if there are any good sources about this online, I wouldnt really know the first place to look and find advisories about this sort of thing.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is interesting, and probably more what I expected and was talking about, so its mainly those at the level of post-graduate that could be creating these profiles and progressing in this manner? Hmm, I wonder if there are any good sources about this online, I wouldnt really know the first place to look and find advisories about this sort of thing.
What profiles do you mean? I am unfamiliar with this, but then it has been a few years since I did a university application of any kind.

Lark

What profiles do you mean? I am unfamiliar with this, but then it has been a few years since I did a university application of any kind.

I dont mean a profile online or an actual document like a CV, I just meant a profile in the sense of picture or in the figurative sense of the word.

Tater

After I graduated from High School, I wrote a personal statement for at least one of my applications to a university. It's been too long to recall the distinct details, but I may have written two personal statements.

The statement I remember illustrated my general goals and aspirations in life. It may have indicated how the university I applied to would help me achieve my goals.

Additionally, I remember hearing that Berkeley had an admission process that required a fairly fleshed out personal statement.

I've never had to write a cover letter.

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I never had to write a cover letter either, but wrote personal statements for both undergrad and grad school. The one for undergrad was based on a prompt that was given by the college (e.g. write about an influential person in your life), while the one for grad school was much more focused and asked why I wanted to pursue a degree in the area I'd chosen. I also had to submit a resume for grad, but not for undergrad.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When applying to undergraduate schools, there was an optional personal statement. I sent all 5 schools I applied to the same essay I wrote describing the volunteer work I had done in animal rescue throughout high school.

I also sent the same essay to two scholarship programs at the school I ended up attending. Little did I know they were run by the same professor (I really should've checked). But I was accepted into one, so maybe he did not notice.

You could also talk about why you want to go to college or an ambtion you have for the future. Or you could talk about an important, influential experience that has made you who you are today.
Personal statements can also be used to provide more nuance and depth. Let's say you're sophomore year grades are uncharacteristically low due to some sort of medical emergency that required a long recovery period. That can go there as well.

Graduate schools, to my understanding, want to hear more about why their institution would be a good fit for you and why you want to study there. This makes you stand out. Your average grad program will get a lot of applicants, but they cannot accept as big of a group of students as undergrad admissions can (mostly due to stipends and funding). They just don't want to hear "I want to attend graduate school in Chemistry because I love Chemistry and it has been a lifelong passion of mine." It is already assumed that you love the field for which you are going to grad school.

Also, I've been told not to do autobiographical statements for graduate schools.

No no matter what, proofread! Spelling and grammar is so important in making a good first impression. It can be hard, and that's not everyone's strength. So, it's a good idea to have someone else help you with editing. This is just a general rule for life. Even if it's a lab report for a science class, grammar is key to expressing yourself. Some people think "this is not a grammar course, so I don't have to pay as much attention." And that really is not true at all.