• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Traits of the Highly Intelligent Person

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(I doesn't necessarily agree with the wording used in this video.) 1. "Smart people tend to sell themselves short." Recently my manager at work was telling how about an employee of his who was trying to get a job as a coder. He could not pass the initial job interview. The problem was that he showed a degree of uncertainty or lack of self-confidence in his ability as a coder. So my manager asked him to write a particular piece of code on the blackboard, and he handled it with ease. Maybe he was a stutterer? I just don't think job interviewers should be rating job candidates on their ability to sell themselves. 2. "You have an insatiable curiosity." But sometimes with a short attention span as curiosity runs amok. 3. "You often worry." I don't just worry, I often worry about worrying. 4. "You tend to forget things." I always never forget to forget things. Wait a minute, what was I just saying? 5. "You can be funny." I was explaining to my neighbor at work how to find out if there are really such things as Bigfoot and magical forest creatures such as the unicorn. I stated that we should limit the habitat these forest creatures inhabit by incrementally killing trees until the amount of forest in the world is limited to one small copse of trees. He finished my story by saying, "Then drop a boulder on it." 6. "You enjoy reading." It depends on the subject matter. If it leads to learning new things, then yes, even if there is no practical use for the subject matter. 7. "You prefer to be messy." Is it a preference, or a way of life? Messiness has for a long time been thought to be a sign of creativity, even of creative genius. I can pick one thing out of a pile, and nobody knows why I chose to pick out that one thing, except for me. Out of randomness comes order and reason. 8. "You're a real night owl." I'm just "striving to reach the limits of my abilities," according to the video. Or maybe there's just nobody around to interrupt my thought processes late at night. It's the quiet solitude of being alone with my thoughts. I can't blaze new trails by following old ones forced on me by others. I think in my case it was mostly school, occurring obviously during the day, to cause me to seek the night. I attended a crazy school for three years which consisted of one giant classroom divided up only by whiteboards for four separate classes. Teachers would often sit around in their teachers' lounge while the students ran amok. Sometimes I also ran amok, maybe because there was no point in trying to read, or study, or draw something. It made me stand out as "different," and inevitably someone would come along and bump into me on purpose just to make things more difficult. 9. "You love a good mental challenge." I loved all kinds of challenges before I became half disabled. 10. "You don't always have to try hard." I just looked at my spelling words for the week and had them memorized. 11. "You talk to yourself." The reason I found 11 instead of 10 is that I am smarter than the person who made the video.
Your engagement in this thread does not make you look highly intelligent

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty sure only an ENFP would refer to a "garden of the mind." ENFPs have a hard time with personality tests because they identify with almost everything in them. So yes, I'm saying that your viewpoint is purely that of an ENFP.

The Forer Effect is strong with this one.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As in typology? I'm "an" INTP so I should be an INTP and doing INTP things according to the website gurus?

- - - Updated - - -

You mean personality types? Then why are you here, with an MBTI, enneagram, and Socionics type listed?

I meant IQ and "intelligence".

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel like these types of videos simply list very common traits or flaws and are purposefully vague as to apply to the majority, predictably earning them a bunch of likes and shares on Facebook. All these videos do is indulge people's vanity by telling them that their faults, like selling themselves short (doormat), worrying often (too stressed or anxiety-driven), and messiness (carelessness) are actually good things, not things they need to improve upon to work on themselves as individuals, then further spice it up by throwing in a bunch of lackluster compliments towards mundane activities, like how you read (???), to further push how great you are. They're five minute videos of ego-stroking aimed at the lowest common denominator and push the rhetoric that you're somehow special for doing these incredibly average things that you put zero effort into accomplishing. Real intelligent people spend time learning and bettering themselves, they don't look for validation through subconscious elements that they hold not control over.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like these types of videos simply list very common traits or flaws and are purposefully vague as to apply to the majority, predictably earning them a bunch of likes and shares on Facebook. All these videos do is indulge people's vanity by telling them that their faults, like selling themselves short (doormat), worrying often (too stressed or anxiety-driven), and messiness (carelessness) are actually good things, not things they need to improve upon to work on themselves as individuals, then further spice it up by throwing in a bunch of lackluster compliments towards mundane activities, like how you read (???), to further push how great you are. They're five minute videos of ego-stroking aimed at the lowest common denominator and push the rhetoric that you're somehow special for doing these incredibly average things that you put zero effort into accomplishing. Real intelligent people spend time learning and bettering themselves, they don't look for validation through subconscious elements that they hold not control over.

I didn't try to read through the lines to see anything like ego-stroking. It's just about personality. Anything else, and you're projecting something not in the video. I've been interested in the topic of personality and IQ for years, ever since I learned that people with low IQ levels don't particularly like to take care of their health. For example, what I heard is that they will read warning labels on bottles and then basically just shrug and ignore the advice. Inb4: I don't feel superior about that, I feel sorry for people who don't care about such things.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't try to read through the lines to see anything like ego-stroking. It's just about personality. Anything else, and you're projecting something not in the video. I've been interested in the topic of personality and IQ for years, ever since I learned that people with low IQ levels don't particularly like to take care of their health. For example, what I heard is that they will read warning labels on bottles and then basically just shrug and ignore the advice. Inb4: I don't feel superior about that, I feel sorry for people who don't care about such things.

My comment wasn't specifically aimed at you, rather the types of people who make these sort of videos or take them seriously past a bit of fun. To each their own, it's just my opinion.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My comment wasn't specifically aimed at you, rather the types of people who make these sort of videos or take them seriously past a bit of fun. To each their own, it's just my opinion.

I wouldn't know why he made the video. Is he being a snob? I don't know.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wouldn't know why he made the video. Is he being a snob? I don't know.

To be fair, if you look on his channel a majority of this guy's videos have titles that are aimed to appeal toward's people's perceived identities or bait them into clicking to prove their uniqueness. "Do You Belong To The World's Rarest Personality Type?", "A Few Surprising Signs That You're Probably A Genius", "Can You Find The Hidden Cat? 90% Will Fail!" And I'm not saying the owner of the channel is a snob. If anything, he's figured out a smart strategy to gain attention online and make money. It's commendable that he figured out that people are attracted to whatever tells them that they are special and do not need to put in effort to succeed, therefore they will buy into anything that promises such. You'll see this everywhere in mainstream media from songs to popular movies. Making original content on the Youtube platform and keeping an attentive audience for long periods of time is difficult, but people never grow tired of being told they're special.

Anyway, I won't derail the thread. Like I said, that's my interpretation. I don't think any of the traits in the video necessarily mean someone is of high intelligence because you could just as easily flip the points listed to sound negative and the result of stupidity. You're right that there are some things that the above average intelligent can share, but that's a hard can. A highly intelligent person can likely have a hard time keeping track of personal hygiene, but so can a lazy NEET. It's not definitive enough to be a sign, in my eyes.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"You know how to work on, recognize, and/or compensate for the negative things on this list."

If not, then dumb people have some things to teach smart people.. provided that they'll actually listen.

Like this guy:
Here's what it's like living with an IQ above 150 - Business Insider

"1. You feel people steal your time. You get annoyed when people talk, because you've guessed what they're going to say two seconds in. You get annoyed in group discussions, because you already know the outcome. Interaction with others can be a series of annoyances. So they find you annoying because of it."
Because he goes on to say --
How I deal with it: Treat conversation as learning. I make a point of maintaining eye contact, thinking deeply about ramifications, treating the speaker's words with great import and focussing on them. It doesn't always work, but I make the effort. Because believe it or not, other people are worth listening to.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"You know how to work on, recognize, and/or compensate for the negative things on this list."

If not, then dumb people have some things to teach smart people.. provided that they'll actually listen.

Like this guy:

Because he goes on to say --

Yep.

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Personality Traits of the Highly Intelligent Person

Wouldn't highly intelligent be a trait of a highly intelligent person. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're highly intelligent then you're a highly intelligent person.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wouldn't highly intelligent be a trait of a highly intelligent person. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're highly intelligent then you're a highly intelligent person.

It's not a personality trait. It's a mental trait.

Amberiat

Infinity
A highly intelligent person would know that having certain personality traits doesn't make you more or less intelligent, it only affects your external appearance which doesn't always resemble what's beneath the surface.

Liriope

Didn't watch the video but glanced over OP's summary, and it looks like the average revenue-generating, Facebook-shareable content that a lot of people can relate to like most generic listicle-like videos.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I am smart...a smart ass!

729.gif

But in all seriousness, I agree it is just click bait trash.

Mole

Permabanned
A highly intelligent person would know that having certain personality traits doesn't make you more or less intelligent, it only affects your external appearance which doesn't always resemble what's beneath the surface.

The highly intelligent are different because they are over excitable (OE), or it can be said they have a high response to stimulae. Just google Over Exciteable (OE).

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
All of those reasons in OP's article are arbitrary.

Anyways, I always thought the kind of people who tend to be hyper-intellectual tend to be highly necrotic and socially awkward although this may not always be the case.