• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Traits of the Highly Intelligent Person

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Funny . Most of those things are true about me. 8 or 9 of 10

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why does having neurotic traits are constantly being correlated with being highly intelligent? Probably because we live in a world that is ruled by false dichotomies that pop-psychology keeps tossing around which makes this worse, people buy these as opinions and swallow them which makes them hard to work on some unhealthy traits, since they are the marks of their "genius".

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So in the US I've noticed you do well in a career if you can put on a smile and make people feel good about you. Intelligence doesn't seem to matter as long as you don't have a mental deficiency. I'm not sure how this falls into being intelligent, but I think humans value EQ more than intellectual potential when it comes to working together. I guess if you are really smart and can work for yourself, then you can bypass all that and just live your life how you think best. But that's not always easy, even for really smart people.

Everything falls into being intelligent. EQ is necessary for certain things, but intelligence is necessary for everything including the development of EQ. An EQ, by the way, is not a quotient and would best be labeled EI, "emotional intelligence." An IQ is, or used to be, derived through dividing mental age by chronological age. EQ is not derived by division. IQ is innate, EQ can be developed. You can learn how to do better at an IQ test, but that is limited to the test and doesn't apply to reality. It will just make your IQ over-stated.

I'm not against the idea of an "emotional quotient," but it is only good for dealing with social circumstances. Your IQ will help you develop your EQ, or at least apply it well.

I've developed my EQ at work, and if you heard me on a troubleshooting call talking to a customer you wouldn't know it was me because I come across as exceptionally well-adjusted socially. This is something I learned to do. And what I've found is that, for the lion's share of the time, being extremely social helps the customer because he or she is usually feeling frustrated by computer problems and/or long hold times on the phone. So I've learned to put them at ease immediately.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just am not interested in taking the time to watch this vid, I mean, I've got to find my headphones and then stare at the screen for x minutes. But offhand, from your helpful synopsis, it sounds more like this video is: 10 Similarities You Share With Me and Therefore Make You Intelligent Like Me. That reduces the amount of time I want to put into the vid. If I made a list for this it would have something like: #4: You prefer to scan the comments on Youtube videos before deciding to watch them.

genuine lol as that's usually my excuse for not doing things. "ugh i have to find x and then i have to physically put it on myself. or i can stay home and not wear pants and live the dream."

---

the video tidbits you posted sound vague enough that everyone and their shrimp can point and say, that's tote me! or cherry pick through the garden of the mind to say, i do that at times!

------

idk

intelligence is there or it isn't.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
genuine lol as that's usually my excuse for not doing things. "ugh i have to find x and then i have to physically put it on myself. or i can stay home and not wear pants and live the dream."

---

the video tidbits you posted sound vague enough that everyone and their shrimp can point and say, that's tote me! or cherry pick through the garden of the mind to say, i do that at times!

------

idk

intelligence is there or it isn't.

I'm pretty sure only an ENFP would refer to a "garden of the mind." ENFPs have a hard time with personality tests because they identify with almost everything in them. So yes, I'm saying that your viewpoint is purely that of an ENFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Normal intelligence is between 85 and 115, The US military won't enlist anyone's at 83 or below, because they can't be trained even for the most routine of jobs, while 120 is needed for tertiary.education.

The very highly intelligent at 160 are not normal and are OE, over excitable, emotionally intellectually morally and physically.

And they need to find a peer group of the same intelligence.

The ‘Over-Excitable Gifted’: Managing Talent and Five Forms of Excitability

"In his work with gifted children and adult psychiatric patients, Dabrowski identified five kinds of “excitability” that the exceptional were much more commonly susceptible to, and to a greater degree, than the average. This susceptibility he called “overexcitability” [or “over-excitability” to keep spell-checkers happy].

Defining “overexcitability” as “higher than average responsiveness to stimuli” manifested as reactions that are significantly above-average in intensity, duration, and frequency, Dabrowski and his supporters see overexcitabilities (OEs) as innate manifestations of unusual receptivity, sensitivity and awareness that leads to what he called “positive disintegration”—personal growth through hyper-sensitivity and battles with one’s self, one’s experiences and one’s various environments"

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At least you have the honesty to admit that such differences exist. I think it's because you're not an American. Most Americans these days are engaged in dishonest repression of facts for political motives.
There is a difference between acknowledging human differences and assuming them to be consequential. About 10% of the US population is left-handed. So what?

"1. You feel people steal your time. You get annoyed when people talk, because you've guessed what they're going to say two seconds in. You get annoyed in group discussions, because you already know the outcome. Interaction with others can be a series of annoyances. So they find you annoying because of it."
I usually feel like this, so either that perspective has nothing to do with intelligence, or I'm smarter than I think.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is a difference between acknowledging human differences and assuming them to be consequential. About 10% of the US population is left-handed. So what?-

Are personality types consequential? This thread is about personality traits of the highly intelligent. Types are just groups of personality traits.

I usually feel like this, so either that perspective has nothing to do with intelligence, or I'm smarter than I think.

1. "Smart people tend to sell themselves short."

You fell right into it. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

This is like secular astrology.

So is typology.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are personality types consequential? This thread is about personality traits of the highly intelligent. Types are just groups of personality traits.
Your comment was not about personality differences. Differences cannot be assumed to be consequential.

"Smart people tend to sell themselves short."

You fell right into it.
Nothing to fall into, just another questionable generality.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your comment was not about personality differences. Differences cannot be assumed to be consequential.

Nothing to fall into, just another questionable generality.

This thread is about personality differences existing between the smart and the not-so-smart. Other than that, I don't know which comment you're referring to.

You can question all the generalities you want. That's what debates are for. Typology is full of questionable generalities.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'm sure. I've always been interested in the idea of internet 'content creation'. It my observation it seems the most lucrative content is becoming a guru, taking an authoritative position on what people should be and what people should do.

me:
*looks over shoulder*
*dims lights*
whispers: but haven't you ever been deeply inspired by some rando's 4 minute "How to Fuck Society and Become a Successful Entrepreneur and Professional Seaside Cave Dweller Overnight" video?

Qlip: no

me: *nervously laughs like a 40-year-old who's never had sex and collects stamps*
yeah, me neither