• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is most important to you job security or flexibility?

Lark

What is most important to you in terms of work? Security or flexibility?

Would you value the ability to cut your hours, work part time, work unsocial hours or work from home in temporary contracts or a set number of hours on a permanent contract?

Do you think it is type related? Its also fair to state if you think that this is not a choice available to you, I dont think it is available to most people, its not available to me but I'm also thinking hypothetically for the sake of discussion.

GoldenDawn

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Flexibility. I think in a lot of jobs you can earn your security.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably security though I have always had a lot of flexibility in my jobs and there is no reason you cant have both.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Security but I think I value variety the most in a work environment. Once I master something, I get bored easily.

rav3n

Flexibility by a long shot. It's part of the reason why I went to self-employed consultancy in my latter years of working, solely taking projects of interest with clients that didn't have sociopathic business ethics.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I like (and have had) both but flexibility is slightly higher. That said, I'm looking at making a change that will likely be less secure but more satisfying and more flexible too.

Lark

Probably security though I have always had a lot of flexibility in my jobs and there is no reason you cant have both.

That's a good point, its not really an either or question or dichotomy when you put it that way. I guess I was just fielding a question as to which is more important.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Flexibility. My last career was extremely stable. I traded off to something more flexible, now it's insecure, but dealing with it, and putting in the time and effort to keep it all going.

á´…eparted

passages
I do not like having to forego flexibility, but I am able to survive without it for fairly long periods of time. Lack of security I can't survive for very long at all. It zaps a ton of my energy and thus will do much worse at my job.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I could only have one, security - easily. Both are important, though.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Would you value the ability to cut your hours, work part time, work unsocial hours or work from home in temporary contracts or a set number of hours on a permanent contract?

Do you think it is type related? Its also fair to state if you think that this is not a choice available to you, I dont think it is available to most people, its not available to me but I'm also thinking hypothetically for the sake of discussion.
Flexibility is more important, or more broadly, autonomy. Give me a job, then let me go off and do it, on my terms and my schedule, constrained only by what is actually necessary to get the job done. I am trying to make that choice available, as my current position is exactly the opposite: great security, but ever decreasing flexibility/autonomy.

Metis

Like [MENTION=26163]Consilience[/MENTION] said, variety.

Variety is a form of flexibility--or rather, dealing with it engages your flexibility. Security is important, but it can be too constraining; flexibility is good in theory, but it can get to the point at which your real job is lining up your gigs. A job with reliable work and without the necessity to act like one's own agent/manager, but with enough variety and spontaneity to stay fresh and engaging, addresses some need for flexibility.

Flexibility and security both can take a lot of different forms, and I do think the way someone negotiates that trade-off, if and when there is a trade-off, is type-related.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
flexibility.

security is good too.... but if i had to choose between those two, definitely the former.

if i master something i want to move on to something new, not stay a stagnant chair moistening cog in sector 7G.

Amberiat

Infinity
Flexibility.

If you're competent enough you can have security while maintaining flexibility as well.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
No question; flexibilty. Adaption is my greatest strength. I can live anywhere anyway and no matter how happens I'll be fine.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am in a good place where I have a good amount of both. But ultimately I think flexibility is more important to me. I need a job that either gives me the freedom of mind or continues to challenge my mind in new ways. I would die of braindeadness in a boring deskjob. In fact I have experiecne doing dull jobs and I absolutely hated it. (To the point it was bad for my personal health as well as for the company).

I have enough confidence in myself and my ability that, should I lose my job, I have other oppertunities waiting for me. So while security is of course important, it does come second for me.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Have to agree with Video. I tend to feel very stressed out when I can't be sure I have security when it comes to my job.
Everyone around me acts very surprised when they find out, but I love having stuff in order. There's no other reason for why I prefer security over flexibility. I also prefer knowing I'll be at work from for eg 10-18 every day. I crave structure. It's just how I am.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Flexibility, if I can do so with a decent income. I've definitely had to take on more traditional fixed work to make ends meet. The trick is to come up with something that is both flexible and cannot be replaced by robots.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

I guess flexibility. Not sure how representative that is of my type but with nearly every job I've ever had, I usually find a way to set my own hours. I'd go so far as to say my pay is a very close second place to my ability to set up the schedule I want. But I'm good with negotiation so I've never had to choose between flexibility vs. security.