User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 56

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow as White View Post
    What a silly concept. Spelling and grammar aren't rocket sciences.
    But they are part of doing well on IQ tests (along with actually getting the answer correct). Wouldn't want people to think he makes mistakes and has less imaginary quantity (IQ) than he has tested, God forbid, he falls under the entrance score

    Also, I don't see the relevance to rocket science. You would hope that a rocket scientist could add numbers and rotate blocks, but I'd be hesitant to go anywhere near a rocket designed by a guy who specialises in timber and IQ tests.

  2. #22
    was here that's not my name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    MBTI
    ISIS
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLI Si
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Haha, that's pretty appauling.





    There are many issues with IQ tests. But allow me to state one of them.

    The fact that doing many IQ tests, trains you and thus artificially inflates your IQ by knowing the patterns and problemtypes before hand. It won't truely test your IQ unless you are faced with a new problem you've never encountered before and find/understand the problem quickly upon seeing it. That's the only way you'd access the parts of your brain that are relevant, and not just your memory banks.

    To keep making relevant IQ tests, one has to come up with entirely different concepts to test peoples IQ's. And there is a limit to how much you can do that.


    IQ is not a good measure of objective intelligence.
    Even if you can train yourself, there is a limit to how much you will be able to learn by your own mental capacity. People have accounted for what you are talking about, which is why your IQ can change by up to a standard deviation.
    Life is a work of art.

  3. #23
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,526

    Default

    Kudos to @miss fortune for adding the missing pictures back in the OP.

    Hopefully, they won't disappear this time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I had a brief Facebook discussion about IQ. My interlocutor was responding to my statement that people with high IQs can be physicists but those with low IQs can't be physicists. He told me not to put down people with low IQs because he knows this autistic guy who is great at building houses. I told him that I wasn't putting down anybody. But the distinction between his autistic friend with a low IQ and the physicist with the high IQ is that the physicist can also build houses, while his autistic friend is limited to building houses and can never be a physicist.
    Did he specifically state that his autistic friend had a low IQ, meaning that he was on the low-functioning end of the spectrum? Many people on the high-functioning end have above average IQ's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    IQ tests have revealed an interesting distinction between men and women taking the tests. Women's scores will distribute around 100, while men's scores will distribute more widely, either higher or lower than 100. So there are more oddball males than there are oddball females.

    Sex differences in intelligence - Wikipedia

    "Differences have been reported, however, in specific areas such as mathematics and verbal measures. Also, the variability of male scores is greater than that of females, resulting in more males than females in the top and bottom of the IQ distribution."
    That is an interesting factoid. I've heard that males generally score higher than females on spatial questions, as well.

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreen View Post
    But they are part of doing well on IQ tests (along with actually getting the answer correct). Wouldn't want people to think he makes mistakes and has less imaginary quantity (IQ) than he has tested, God forbid, he falls under the entrance score

    Also, I don't see the relevance to rocket science. You would hope that a rocket scientist could add numbers and rotate blocks, but I'd be hesitant to go anywhere near a rocket designed by a guy who specialises in timber and IQ tests.
    Your post is a bit too compact for me to respond to and contains errors and assumptions. I did say "physicists" and not "rocket scientist." I'm not sure if you're responding to my post or how you interpreted it.

  5. #25
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crabs View Post
    Kudos to @miss fortune for adding the missing pictures back in the OP.

    Hopefully, they won't disappear this time.



    Did he specifically state that his autistic friend had a low IQ, meaning that he was on the low-functioning end of the spectrum? Many people on the high-functioning end have above average IQ's.



    That is an interesting factoid. I've heard that males generally score higher than females on spatial questions, as well.
    It's a "factoid" that I've known about for 40 years. And it's a quite well-known "factoid." So you might want to do some reading on the subject of IQ so you don't miss out on any other "factoids."

  6. #26
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    It's a "factoid" that I've known about for 40 years. And it's a quite well-known "factoid." So you might want to do some reading on the subject of IQ so you don't miss out on any other "factoids."
    You seem to have taken offense to my use of the word factoid. I'll admit, I wasn't aware of the word's original definition, but have always heard it used more or less synonymously with "fact".


    'Factoid' Doesn't Mean What You Think It Does

    The Grammarist blog points out that in the U.S., at least, 'factoid’ is now almost exclusively used to mean ‘a brief interesting fact.’

    The Difference Between a Fact and a Factoid

    However, thanks in large part to CNN and the BBC in the 1980s/1990s to today including “factoids” in their news casts referring to trivial bits of factual information, there is now a second “official” definition of “factoid” as follows (from Merriam-Webster): “a briefly stated and usually trivial fact”

  7. #27
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crabs View Post
    You seem to have taken offense to my use of the word factoid. I'll admit, I wasn't aware of the word's original definition, but have always heard it used more or less synonymously with "fact".


    'Factoid' Doesn't Mean What You Think It Does

    The Grammarist blog points out that in the U.S., at least, 'factoid’ is now almost exclusively used to mean ‘a brief interesting fact.’

    The Difference Between a Fact and a Factoid

    However, thanks in large part to CNN and the BBC in the 1980s/1990s to today including “factoids” in their news casts referring to trivial bits of factual information, there is now a second “official” definition of “factoid” as follows (from Merriam-Webster): “a briefly stated and usually trivial fact”
    In this case it's not trivial. The difference in IQ factors in when regions of the brain between the sexes are compared in terms of size:
    Study finds some significant differences in brains of men and women | Science | AAAS

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Your post is a bit too compact for me to respond to and contains errors and assumptions. I did say "physicists" and not "rocket scientist." I'm not sure if you're responding to my post or how you interpreted it.
    Looking at which post I quoted is a good start

    Also, I lives in realities world, not MENSAs world.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreen View Post
    Looking at which post I quoted is a good start

    Also, I lives in realities world, not MENSAs world.
    I don't live in MENSAs [sic] world either. I don't even know what that means.

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,564

    Default

    @BlueScreen what about a Turing test makes you say that?
    Likes BlueScreen liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Visual IQ test
    By nothappy in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 04:01 PM
  2. IQ tests and myself
    By Ferrus in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 12:59 PM
  3. How do types perceive IQ tests?
    By Blackmail! in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 06:39 PM
  4. Roommate IQ Test
    By ygolo in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-22-2008, 01:25 PM
  5. [NT] Problems with IQ, tests ect..
    By God Of Emptiness in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO