User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Socionics
    LSI Se

I saw the images you posted when you initially made the thread. Now they have disappeared even though I'm using the same device. Why is that? No matter, I have the book, too.

#1 seems like a typo, but the same image is printed on a previous page in the correct format. Furthermore, the answers compute correctly and consistently for every problem associated with the example. The rules text is the same for each, so anyone reading the book from front to back shouldn't have much confusion.

For #2 and #3, the rule states a "whole" face must touch, but it doesn't specify the face of which block. Therefore, all faces can be included. For instance, for block D of SA 35, the right side of block D entirely touches the structure next to it, so that would be aggregated in the total.

For #4, the image on the top of cube 1 is the same as the image on the front of cube 2. Therefore, there are 4 images, making it possible for the first 2 cubes to be the same. So, we assume they are the same. A shitty drawing, but considering the way the other top-sided dots are drawn in the other images, a test-taker can still discern the image.

For #6, the problem explicitly concerns reflection, which becomes even clearer given that the description of the problem involves transparent objects that can be flipped.

A lot of documentation exists that questions the veracity of IQ tests; this one, for example, heavily relies on the test-taker's verbal IQ because the problems involve written rules in English. This reduces the number of people who can be more accurately tested with this book. More issues exist with general IQ measurement processes.

However, it seems that you made a few mistakes in your answers and decided to blame the test maker for them.
    In challenge lies opportunity.
    Likes Hard liked this post

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    I saw the images you posted when you initially made the thread. Now they have disappeared even though I'm using the same device. Why is that? No matter, I have the book, too.
    I have no idea. Occasionally, they don't appear on my cell phone either.

For #2 and #3, the rule states a "whole" face must touch, but it doesn't specify the face of which block. Therefore, all faces can be included. For instance, for block D of SA 35, the right side of block D entirely touches the structure next to it, so that would be aggregated in the total.
    I call bullshit. The statement reads: Write a number beside each letter in the column to show how many other blocks touch the block indicated by each letter. A whole face must touch. The implication is that for each point of contact, a whole face must touch. I don't know if you're deliberately being obtuse or need your eyes checked, but the right side of D does not entirely touch the structure next to it, as you claim it does. All of the blocks have the same dimensions. You can see that blocks A, B and a third unidentified block overhang block C. Blocks C, D and E are stacked congruently in regards to their length. A and B are not flush with the backside of C, D and E, therefore a portion of the right side of D isn't touching any block.

For #4, the image on the top of cube 1 is the same as the image on the front of cube 2. Therefore, there are 4 images, making it possible for the first 2 cubes to be the same. So, we assume they are the same. A shitty drawing, but considering the way the other top-sided dots are drawn in the other images, a test-taker can still discern the image.
    I concede that the letter Z "may" have been a badly drawn ÷. Regardless, that mistake is on the author, not the test taker. What is your explanation for the inaccuracies in SA40? You conveniently forgot to address that. Which two cubes are the same as any of the others?

For #6, the problem explicitly concerns reflection, which becomes even clearer given that the description of the problem involves transparent objects that can be flipped.
    The objects in question aren't mirrors, they're described as transparent glass. My argument still stands. If you turn it upside down, as opposed to "flipping" it upside down, the answers they give are incorrect. It's a poor choice of words that doesn't adequately describe the process you need to arrive at the answers they've provided.

A lot of documentation exists that questions the veracity of IQ tests; this one, for example, heavily relies on the test-taker's verbal IQ because the problems involve written rules in English. This reduces the number of people who can be more accurately tested with this book. More issues exist with general IQ measurement processes.

However, it seems that you made a few mistakes in your answers and decided to blame the test maker for them.
    Your conclusions are invalid and the errors remain with the author of the test.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've never particularly trusted them because they only measure specific types of intelligence, but not overall intelligence... I mean, there's more to intelligent than what they test for

also, there are people like me who associate standardized types of tests with food and do very well on them for that reason... I'm not even sure how I should feel about that, but it almost feels like cheating to have that sort of motivation going on!
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett
    Likes Loona liked this post

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by miss fortune View Post
    I've never particularly trusted them because they only measure specific types of intelligence, but not overall intelligence... I mean, there's more to intelligent than what they test for

also, there are people like me who associate standardized types of tests with food and do very well on them for that reason... I'm not even sure how I should feel about that, but it almost feels like cheating to have that sort of motivation going on!
    One of the biggest obstacles people with high IQ's (Who also take their IQ's very seriously) run into is tunnelvision. Irony.

Also, tricks like associating tests with food is just a mental tool you have personally developped, and therefor is a valid part of your intelligence.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf
    Likes miss fortune liked this post

Got to laugh when the Honorary International President of a society that is all about IQ tests struggles to make an IQ test.

Though I suppose the society is for people who answer the test questions well, not necessarily those who are good at making tests.
    Likes Crabs liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by miss fortune View Post
    I've never particularly trusted them because they only measure specific types of intelligence, but not overall intelligence... I mean, there's more to intelligent than what they test for also, there are people like me who associate standardized types of tests with food and do very well on them for that reason... I'm not even sure how I should feel about that, but it almost feels like cheating to have that sort of motivation going on!
    I quite enjoy tests too. I think I was one of the few who really enjoyed and smiled in our university exams. I wasn't always that well prepared, but sometimes that was part of the fun.

They had an IQ test at my school but I took a sick day because I was against the school potentially judging people's capabilities based on the results. I would rather just test for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow as White View Post
    I have a hard time accepting the legitimacy of an intelligence quiz that isn't proofread.
    Maybe none was worthy to question the correctness of the Honorary International President of Mensa.
    Likes Crabs liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreen View Post
    Maybe none was worthy to question the correctness of the Honorary International President of Mensa.
    What a silly concept.

Spelling and grammar aren’t rocket sciences.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I had a brief Facebook discussion about IQ. My interlocutor was responding to my statement that people with high IQs can be physicists but those with low IQs can't be physicists. He told me not to put down people with low IQs because he knows this autistic guy who is great at building houses. I told him that I wasn't putting down anybody. But the distinction between his autistic friend with a low IQ and the physicist with the high IQ is that the physicist can also build houses, while his autistic friend is limited to building houses and can never be a physicist.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

IQ tests have revealed an interesting distinction between men and women taking the tests. Women's scores will distribute around 100, while men's scores will distribute more widely, either higher or lower than 100. So there are more oddball males than there are oddball females.

Sex differences in intelligence - Wikipedia

"Differences have been reported, however, in specific areas such as mathematics and verbal measures. Also, the variability of male scores is greater than that of females, resulting in more males than females in the top and bottom of the IQ distribution."