• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any ideas or suggestions to get acting jobs?

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi all,

I have an educational background in the performing arts, and lately, have been looking for work "in my field." I would like to emphasize that it is my educational background. My professional background has been, for the most part, tourism (have worked for about four years in a little museum and as a seasonal tour guide for a little longer than that). A bit of freelance writing and modeling, too.

So, you see my little dilemma here. Having an educational background in something, but very little to no "real life" experience in it. Specifically, having obtained the BA in Theatre, I got interested in acting as a means of supporting myself. (I ended up graduating cum laude/on the Dean's List.) That was just this past year.

I have made a Backstage profile: Juliette Ravel - Professional Profile, Photos on Backstage - Juliette Moore

Have been using that site to send out applications for roles posted (student films, low-budget/indie, music videos, one or two voiceover gigs). Nothing so far; but then again, haven't had a paid account on the site for very long.

I'm quite aware that one doesn't need to be represented by an agency to get work, but the Catch 22 to that is, many directors won't hire you or even consider you, unless you have representation. The agency also does a lot of the "grunt work" for the actor, locating auditions and roles for which there's a good likelihood of their talent landing the role, even arranging for transportation when needed. They do get a cut of the actor's paycheck, but it makes it a lot easier to get one's foot in the door, get the sorely-needed work/experience (which of course makes it that much easier to obtain even higher-paid/better roles in the future). They give an actor a "leg up," so to speak.

I did apply/send in my materials to one talent agency so far (in D.C. area), and it's been about two weeks with no sign of a response.

The paramount thing right now is to get a few acting jobs under my belt, even if the pay is crappy or non-existent. My resume is a little sad right now because all I have is college theatre experience. So, many directors would be understandably hesitant to work with me as an "amateur," and there aren't many talent agencies out there that I feel would represent me at this time, due to the lack of "real world" acting experience.

Should I just keep sending out applications to casting directors on Backstage, or should I be looking for other talent agencies that would take a gamble on an amateur actress like me?

Thanks for your feedback - I'm looking for honesty here, so don't be afraid to give constructive criticism on my photos, profile, et cetera.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don´t know anything about acting.

But just out of curiosity, how was modelling?

Other than that, your profile picture looks a little solemn. Perhaps you should change it to a happier one, perhaps with color?

I wish you the best of luck.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks, I agree that it is a more serious headshot. I like B&W due to its simplicity. But I have other pictures there on my profile, in color, that I feel are more expressive/artsy. My line of thinking was that for a profile pic, one should get a general idea of what the actor looks like with minimal distraction. I may change it, though. I have the picture in color.

But just out of curiosity, how was modelling?

I wouldn't recommend it.

Lark

Could get work with an extras agency and then ask other performers on site when you get cast, I know people who got work in commercials and catalogues that way, you need to build a portfolio of work and get references, some extras agencies websites are actually set up in a manner which will allow you to do this more easily, which is great.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Usually you need to start by doing community work, which you tend to have to volunteer for, unfortunately. It's all about who you know, as gross as that is. When I was still doing acting, one of my old directors who'd cast me multiple times in his plays at a community theatre said he knew an LA agent and offered to set me up with an audition. I was at acting school at the time though and decided I wanted to wait until I'd graduated to take him up on the offer. Anyway, my advice is to get active in the theatre in your community, build up your resume, get to know directors and fellow actors, and go from there.

Also, you say you have educational background in performance arts, so can your teachers recommend any work to you, or recommend you to a director or agent? That's what my teachers did when I was in school.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could get work with an extras agency and then ask other performers on site when you get cast, I know people who got work in commercials and catalogues that way, you need to build a portfolio of work and get references, some extras agencies websites are actually set up in a manner which will allow you to do this more easily, which is great.

Awesome. Would you happen to know the names of some of these agencies?

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Re: community theatre. We do have a small one here in my town - mostly productions such as Beauty and the Beast (most recent), you know, family friendly fare (lol at unintentional alliteration). We're not exactly talking socially significant, hard-hitting theatre here! But, I totally understand what you're trying to say, it's a good way to get myself out there.

My acting professor advised me this past fall to approach casting directors, which is what I've been trying to do via Backstage. He told me of an agency he's represented by, but I'm hesitant to submit my stuff to them, due to not hearing back from the other agency. Plus, this particular agency demands that actors submit a video reel, which I don't have.

I figure it's just a matter of accepting that you have to be rejected by a hundred people sometimes before somebody says "yes."

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Explore every opportunity (except Craigslist, that usually seems to be sketchy as hell/secluded warehouse murdery stuff, from what I’ve seen floating around).

The worst an agency or casting director will say is no, or nothing. Which is also no. And it’s not personal, nor does it necessarily speak to your abilities. Directors have their own subjective visions/standards, and sometimes what we think may fit, simply doesn’t, for them. It works both ways, too. You can be pleasantly surprised, on occasion (I’m sure you already know this anyway, they emphasized that like crazy when I was in school).

Community theater for practice/exposure/networking opportunities.

Also, definitely look for extrawork on projects beyond what Backstage offers. It’s not the most glamorous of acting jobs, but it will help build your experience as well as a reel, depending on the type of extra role you get. “Featured” extras get lines sometimes, and more screen time (than say, the blurry chick in the background sipping coffee), higher pay. Even a series of 30 second scenes spliced together can make for a decent reel. Directors need to see how you look, move, sound & overall carry yourself on screen. Look for nonunion work and email whatever info you have.

This looks promising:
Castings – Virginia Film Office

Looking into student films that don’t pay anything beyond a copy of your footage will also help build your reel. Check college websites, try to be safe about this, though.

Since you have modeling experience, check with local modeling agencies about other talent representation they may also do. Maybe even pick up a couple modeling gigs & then slip your acting resume to the agency afterward, once a business relationship has been established. You’re less of a gamble, that way.

I’ll come back and add to this if I think of anything else. Just rattling stuff off the top of my head atm.

PS- stick with a colored headshot as your default in your submissions, starting out. They need to actually see you in natural lighting. They want you to leave the artsy stuff to them. If they have to put in extra effort to see what you actually look like, there is a chance you will be passed over. I do like the black and white photo, personally, but casting directors can be impatient asshats about stuff like that, from what I understand.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks, I agree that it is a more serious headshot. I like B&W due to its simplicity. But I have other pictures there on my profile, in color, that I feel are more expressive/artsy. My line of thinking was that for a profile pic, one should get a general idea of what the actor looks like with minimal distraction. I may change it, though. I have the picture in color.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I agree that black and white images are special. They often seem more serene.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Preparation is a lot of it.(head shots sag, monologues, etc) So is Networking,(agencies, auditions, getting in touch with a local community theatre etc) and location.(you tend to have to go where the work is) Be willing to stay flexible, (commercials, community theatre, working as an extra, student films etc) and above all, I'd say, Professionalism. (know your lines, be on time, a good rule of thumb I use is on time is fifteen minutes late.) And don't lose your optimism or passion. Some great advice has already been listed above. Break a leg. ^_^

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not related to acting per se, but I took part in my first-ever runway show today.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Thanks - and I really appreciated the link to the casting website you posted here. I was offered a spot as an extra through that website (low-budget SAG film) but ended up declining, simply due to the fact that it was too far away; the pay didn't justify the distance I would've had to travel.