User Tag List

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default Cal 1 in 4 weeks?

I am interesting in taking cal 1 in the winter break in four weeks. However, my question is that if it's okay to pass cal 1 with a rather low grade after a curve. My friend took cal 1 in the summer in 4 weeks whereas everyone was averaging a 30%. After a curve, people who got a 30% in the course earned a C. Is it acceptable for a teacher to do this? Isn't passing students with 30% bad? I am afraid that I might earn a 30% grade average as well.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by great_bay View Post
    I am interesting in taking cal 1 in the winter break in four weeks. However, my question is that if it's okay to pass cal 1 with a rather low grade after a curve. My friend took cal 1 in the summer in 4 weeks whereas everyone was averaging a 30%. After a curve, people who got a 30% in the course earned a C. Is it acceptable for a teacher to do this? Isn't passing students with 30% bad? I am afraid that I might earn a 30% grade average as well.
    Looks like you have four weeks that you could use to start learning the basics and preparing for the course if you need/want to take it, working on your study habits and time management, email the professor to ask advice for success in their class, etc. if you think you will make a 30% or have resigned to do so, then no, I don't think you should take it. If you have to have it or higher level for a professional degree you would likely have to retake it for a better grade.

ps: never count on a curve.

Quote Originally Posted by great_bay View Post
    if you're just doing calc 1 and that's it.. maybe

if you're doing calc 2 and higher levels of math in the future. Forget it.
    No time is ever wasted.

MBTI
    FREE

A test could be designed such that the greatest mathematician alive would get 30% in the time allotted to take it. A low average could imply relatively uneducated students, or it could imply an overly difficult test.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Likes Tomb1 liked this post