• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cal 1 in 4 weeks?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I am interesting in taking cal 1 in the winter break in four weeks. However, my question is that if it's okay to pass cal 1 with a rather low grade after a curve. My friend took cal 1 in the summer in 4 weeks whereas everyone was averaging a 30%. After a curve, people who got a 30% in the course earned a C. Is it acceptable for a teacher to do this? Isn't passing students with 30% bad? I am afraid that I might earn a 30% grade average as well.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am interesting in taking cal 1 in the winter break in four weeks. However, my question is that if it's okay to pass cal 1 with a rather low grade after a curve. My friend took cal 1 in the summer in 4 weeks whereas everyone was averaging a 30%. After a curve, people who got a 30% in the course earned a C. Is it acceptable for a teacher to do this? Isn't passing students with 30% bad? I am afraid that I might earn a 30% grade average as well.
Looks like you have four weeks that you could use to start learning the basics and preparing for the course if you need/want to take it, working on your study habits and time management, email the professor to ask advice for success in their class, etc. if you think you will make a 30% or have resigned to do so, then no, I don't think you should take it. If you have to have it or higher level for a professional degree you would likely have to retake it for a better grade.

ps: never count on a curve.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

if you're just doing calc 1 and that's it.. maybe

if you're doing calc 2 and higher levels of math in the future. Forget it.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
A test could be designed such that the greatest mathematician alive would get 30% in the time allotted to take it. A low average could imply relatively uneducated students, or it could imply an overly difficult test.