• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interviewing skills development and resources

Lark

The two regrets I have from when I commenced my career over ten or eleven years ago (there's more but the main ones are) that I did not have a five to ten year plan in the first instance for career development and therefore did not consider how the work involved in each passing month or year would provide opportunities for development of skills and knowledge which may allow me to progress my career some place but also that I did not do as some people I have learned are doing (I'm not sure if they would qualify as millenials or not) but they go to interviews every two or three years (some of them every two or three months I've heard) in order to develop or improve upon interview skills (or at least become familiar with the questions that they are being asked each time around).

I was wondering if anyone knows of any resources or would like to share any stories of their own about interview and improving at it, I have had some success at interview but I'm never sure if its more than accident and good fortune so I tend to be interested in how to improve on that front, I know that there are always a lot of important variables besides performance at interview on a single day (such as internal candidates, favoured candidates etc.) but I kind of want to set that all to one side for a moment as they may well fall under the heading of variables you can not possibly influence in any case.

I've heard of something called Toast Masters but I think its a public speaking association and I'm not sure that they operate outside of the US, perhaps those are skills that fall within the same remit but I'm not altogether sure.

Also I wondered if anyone had ever availed of any sort of a service or whether they exist, in which you had been able to role play or rehearse interview strategies and techniques? A lot of these things I discover tend to have their own window of opportunity which closes for people at certain ages and stages of their careers, universities and other academic bodies seem to offer great resources to students who are approaching the stage at which they will be leaving academia but you cant access them years down the line, if that makes sense.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you happen to know a anyone who actually conducts interviews? Maybe ask them if they could give you some advice and feedback and do a sample interview with them. I've done this myself and it went very well

Lark

Do you happen to know a anyone who actually conducts interviews? Maybe ask them if they could give you some advice and feedback and do a sample interview with them. I've done this myself and it went very well

I have some friends and family who have done some interview panel work in the past and they help out but I'm thinking of every possible available resource, though that is a great idea and thanks for participating in this thread :)

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find it helpful for any kind of interview to sort of rehearse to yourself. Ask the questions, make sure they make sense when you say them out loud. And always make sure in interviews you make eye contact.